New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

Livingston have had a strong showing of chancers. Keane, Pearse Flynn, Angelo Massone.

Interestingly no mention of Meadowbank being taken to Livingston or of ICT being formed.

It's clearly not a history of Scottish football on the pitch, if that makes any sense - there must have barely been mention of a particular season, a particular match or a particular cup or league win. In many respects that's a brave move... assuming it's maintained through the rest of the series... although the closer you get to 2016 the more you stray into history that is fresh and contested and hasn't actually become history yet.

It went down the 'theme > narrative' route focusing on the involvement of big business and the impact that had on finances and players and moving along in time from the mid 1980s to late 1990s.

As I say what didn't work so well was trying to briefly skirt society/politics, and take a detour into sectarianism.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

As I say what didn't work so well was trying to briefly skirt society/politics, and take a detour into sectarianism.

I said I watched 3 minutes.  It was cheap, glib and facile.  I can see why posters liked it.

I thought it was good.

Hadn't appreciated how badly fucked over hibs fans were, I was young at the time and the internecine dundee shit was interesting too. Although a bit brief.

There was much glossed over but there were also a lot of people who came off very badly there, in particular, Them.

Roll on episode 2

2 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Many may disagree but for me it also highlighted how far we have come with secterianism over the last 30 years, I always remember it being a lot worse back then and that programme highlighted it. Its nowhere near as bad nowadays and the wee historian guy was spot on when he said its dying now but ironically it gets more attention now that it is dying compared to when it was rife and at its worst.

Misses the point - that's the very reason it gets more attention.

When it was widespread or more socially acceptable, by definition it wasn't seen as so unacceptable or controversial. It gets more attention because appearing more "out of order", "notorious" or "beyond the pale" makes it more prominent.

Fucking hell that was decent. Scottish footballs fucking mad.

Can't believe I just seen Terry Butcher sing the Billy Boys and the naughty follow follow though, oh my days.

Looking forward to next week.

Can someone explain to me why Rab Douglas stopped the merger? Don't get it and it's the first time I've heard of it.

Any United fans on here in the Nou Camp to see their team beat Barca by the way?

f**k knows. Some effort it was:lol:

Didn't recognise any of the Airdrie or Dundee Utd players either.

The United players were what became known as the three amigos. Played one game at Killie and then fucked off back to Honduras. United had as much overpaid foreign shite as anybody. They struck lucky with Oloffson, Pederson and Zetterlund. After that it went completely downhill.

Thoroughly enjoyed the part with the foreigners who wound up at various diddy teams and clips of them being shite[emoji38]
Loved the part after where it said that these foreign players were bad for Scottish football.

The only complaint I'd have tonight was in that part they showed Nick Dasovic one of our best ever imports.

How much of this "we were a night from announcing that Dundee and Dundee Utd were merging" is reality, and how much is a basis of truth being built up for the purposes of a good story?

I'm all for a backroom conspiracy and nothing in Scottish football surprises, but the idea it would have happened just like that if it wasn't for Rab Douglas's wife smacks of a tall tale.

13 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Misses the point - that's the very reason it gets more attention.

When it was widespread or more socially acceptable, by definition it wasn't seen as so unacceptable or controversial. It gets more attention because appearing more "out of order", "notorious" or "beyond the pale" makes it more prominent.

Yes Hibee I didn't miss the point, my post was to highlight to some people on here that its not as bad today as it was and is in fact dying out. With some folk on here you would think it was exaclty the way it was in the 80s/90s.

Whats the general thought on here regarding mergers? I assume its not seen as a good thing?!

Personally i think we have far too many teams in the top leagues and we would be better with around 32 to 36 teams in 2 leagues. I think if you could get a few mergers on the go then it might create some decent sized clubs and more competition. I also think in Scotland we get too caught up in hirtory rather than looking to the future.

Im not talking about the bigger clubs needing to merge (although i think Dundee having one club would be pretty good) but 2 or 3 of the smaller clubs from close area's in the lower 3 leagues could merge and create bigger clubs that could play in a system with less teams.

5 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Whats the general thought on here regarding mergers? I assume its not seen as a good thing?!

Personally i think we have far too many teams in the top leagues and we would be better with around 32 to 36 teams in 2 leagues. I think if you could get a few mergers on the go then it might create some decent sized clubs and more competition. I also think in Scotland we get too caught up in hirtory rather than looking to the future.

Im not talking about the bigger clubs needing to merge (although i think Dundee having one club would be pretty good) but 2 or 3 of the smaller clubs from close area's in the lower 3 leagues could merge and create bigger clubs that could play in a system with less teams.

Celtic and The Rangers should merge. 

It's amazing that Fergus McCann was cast as a dictator á la Saddam Hussein, whilst David Murray essentially owned the press, used any means necessary  to gain success, has a huge and incredibly fragile ego, spends large amounts of money on useless weapons to make himself look like the dominant male, dropped the ball to any old idiot when the money ran out and disappear to his expensive compound never to be seen again.

I thought it was quite enjoyable. I'm sure a lot of the stories discussed are well known to many on this forum but living down here a lot of them passed me by. Never knew how close the Dundee merger was likely to be, for starters. What would they have been called?

For me, the least effective element was the attempt to analyse the fall of Scottish football. You could ask twenty people and get twenty different responses.

The recent history of the game is an interesting enough story in its own right without the need for any sort of introspective self-criticism.

I'd be interested in a fuller documentary covering the entirety of Scottish football history (preferably with a bit of focus on when Clyde were half-decent!).

Anyway, will definitely watch next week.

Mergers are a totally ridiculous idea. It worked in the early decades of football when people's allegiances hadn't been around very long and everything was a lot less ingrained - and it worked in an isolated case like Inverness Caledonian Thistle, where the united club moved up into the Scottish League and continually rose to success - but fans would never wear it.

If you tried to merge Dundee Utd and Dundee, or Hearts and Hibs, there would be immense bitterness - as found in the early 1990s. It would be regarded as one club "taking-over" or simply extinguishing the other.

If you tried to merge the Fife clubs, Angus clubs, or similar you'd get one artificial club with hardly any support, and either a set of non-league phoenix teams or fans lost to football.

Archived