Young Talent

We've been expecting Donald McCallum to become a first team regular for the best part of 2 years now!

He was outstanding against Peterhead the other week, and again looked lively as a sub against Dunfermline on Saturday but isn't quite physical enough for this league yet I don't think.

I reckon he could be a very, very good League 2 or League 1 player at the moment - to put it in Football Manager terms - and still hold out hopes that he might be able to hold down a first team place with us. It's been ages since we had a successful (and I mean properly successful) youth team graduate.

9 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Hopefully Craig McGuffie, looked good so far and scored his first goal against Edinburgh City in the cup

He's in about the first team just now. Andy Johnstone will most certainly be next. 

1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I don't think I've seen him properly, I've heard he's got a good reputation in the U20s tho.

Definitely, was head and shoulders above everyone in the match last night. Has the pace and the confidence. Hope McCall uses him at some point, the sort of winger we need just now.

Kyle McAllister could be the next decent one to come through our conveyor, plays for the Scotland under 19's I think and has attracted some interest from English clubs. Still to see one of these boys produce a Hamilton or Falkirkesque transfer fee but in the mean time guys like Kenny McLean and John McGinn have performed for us which is just as important.

Lewis Morgan has been on the fringes of the first team in the last year or so, scored a last minute goal against Rangers on the last game of the season and has bulked up over the summer. He'll be our creative spark this season, already has a couple of assists. Beautiful cross in to Sutton for the goal against Morton on Saturday, with his weaker foot too.

There's a couple of guys we've signed up over the last couple of years that have the potential.

Unfortunately Celtic snapped up PJ Crossan at the end of the season, I reckon he would have gone on to play regularly for us this year.

Evan Horne who we brought in from Dundee Utd seems pretty good, reckon he'll feature quite a bit from the bench this season.

When Andy Goram was our GK coach he said Cammy Gill was a diamond and reckons he has bags of potential.

James Thomas is a natural goal scorer, after a couple of good seasons with the 20s then his first senior goal he fell off the radar and seemed to have a couple of injuries.

15 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Definitely, was head and shoulders above everyone in the match last night. Has the pace and the confidence. Hope McCall uses him at some point, the sort of winger we need just now.

Including Blackett? 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Including Blackett? 

Yes.

Stirling fans were asking after the game how many first team appearances Johnstone had made. They seemed to really rate him. You could tell he has been out on loan in the juniors, similar standard to McGuffie and Wardrope that he's not afraid to get involved during the match.

Blackett started extremely well and scored a cracker, but then drifted out of the match when he really should have pushed on. Could be useful, but no more than what the likes of Andy Johnstone and Leon Murphy are like IMO.

Scott Martin & Callum Crane will be next to come through for Hibs.  I really hope Callum gets a run of games this season as he's been impressive whenever I've seen him play, both in defense and attack.  Oli Shaw is another one who's highly rated, would like to see him go on loan to get some more experience though.....

Tony Gallacher is an excellent prospect . Scotland u-17 captain and has been chased by a number of clubs already. Kevin O'hara made the breakthrough last season and has been loaned out to East Fife this season for more game time. Also like the look of Reis Peggie whose another scotland u-17 international. 

We have a few really promising young boys coming through our development squad. Jai quitongo, Lewis strapp, Scott tiffoney are all involved in the first team squad just now and it sounds as if there are more on the way. Ive also got high hopes for Thomas Orr who is currently on loan at livi but he isnt getting much of a chance in the first team.

Ross Matthews will be a future captain wherever he ends up and I really do hope it's when he decides to stay with us. Scary the impact he has whenever he's in the side. Speaks constantly, directs everyone to where they should be on the pitch etc. He's only 19..

David Bates is another I really rate. The only thing that bothers me now and has given me doubts is the fact, that he's on loan with Rangers development squad, and if they like what they see, then I fear that we have seen the last of Bates in a Rovers shirt..

David Bates is on the bench for Rangers tonight. Absolutely bizarre that he's went on loan from Raith Rovers to Rangers and is actually in the first team squad.

He's a great prospect though. As is Ross Matthews in midfield. Ross Callachan and Lewis Vaughan are also first-picks, Vaughan especially looked magnificent before he missed all of last season injured. He's started this season quite well but is trying a bit too hard at the moment, I don't doubt he'll get back to the same form though.

On top of Ross Laidlaw looking like he might actually be first-choice for Hibs, even playing in Europe, we've had some very good young players come through the past few years.

Archived