Scottish cup draw

Just saw the draw for the cup this year. The south teams are up against it as Wigtown got Talbot , Newton got Beith, saints got leith & edu play Colville . Hard draws for them all. I see that if Wigtown & Newton went through they would play each other, but can't see them winning. I think edu have the best chance, if they win they get girvan both winnable games. Threave got linlithgow rose another hard game. The only plus is no trips to the highlands this year.

I seen this also earlier, and tbh I don't think the teams from the south have much chance this year. The teams must use these games as friendlies to use the squad depth and it's good experience to play a decent team. The people who think otherwise are wrong. 

Edu should beat Colville you'd reckon!! Last season's Amateur Cup entrant were pretty poor and I've heard that Colville are the same!! Girvan would win against either side though so that'll be the end of the road!!

Saints could give Leith a game!! Shouldn't be a walkover but see Leith winning it!!

Threave, Wigtown & Newton have no chance!! Hate to say it but simple

Colville Park are a really good side. Won't be that simple

Not saying it will be simple but you'd expect the Amateur Cup side to be weakest (in theory they should be)... More than anything though, Edu should be able to win with the size of their team

Wigtown have hit the jackpot money wise. Probably the biggest crowd at Tram since Stranraer visited a few years back. Unfortunately they'll be really up against it on the park. Don't think Talbot are as strong as they have been but still a great outfit. 

Unfortuately won't get the same crowd for the Newton game but, face an equally strong side. Beith been building a good junior side the last couple of years. Recently hammered Stranraer in a friendly. 

Like above Threave don't have much of a hope, especially with the start they've had to the season. 

Can see Saints giving Leith a run for the money. Hopefully make it through to represent the South. 

Introduction of Junior teams seems to of made it pretty hard for South teams to get a crack at a big outfit. 

SFA's changes for this season - making licensed clubs in tier 5 and outside the pyramid play in the preliminary rounds - have made it really difficult... There are now only 6 slots in the competition proper for clubs outwith SPFL, HL & LL and 3 of the licensed teams (including as it turned-out Wigtown and Edusport) will have to negotiate 2 preliminary rounds to claim them.

Factor-in the 3 champion Juniors (it could have been 4); the Amateur champion; the EOSL champion; and Banks o'Dee and Linlithgow Rose, who are Junior but licenced; it's all very tough.

Another way of looking at it is that SOSL clubs are now 3 wins from the chance of playing an SPFL2 club, 4 wins from playing a full-time club and 5 wins from playing a Scottish Premiership club (except Threave for whom deduct 1 per instance). It's almost gone back to the days of the Qualifying Cups and old Scottish Cup format - except now the earliest opposition includes strong Junior clubs and qualifiers, and there is an extra layer of Highland & Lowland teams in the middle.

2 hours ago, murphy1970 said:

Hi

I will be at game tomorrow writing report for Talbot website and local paper.

Looking for Wigtown fc squad list. I checked website but don't know how up to date it is.

Thanks 

This year's team with appearances up to last weekend here...

http://www.southofscotlandfootballleague.co.uk/PlayerStatistics?age=all&div=all&category=all&team=107213

2 hours ago, theProdigy said:

Newton won't be getting their license anytime soon... They have nowhere to build a stand

Newton could build a stand, think cash is the restriction here though. All they would need to do would be to get trees cut back and fence stepped back. Front of stand would be in line with current fenceline. Think you only need standing room for 250 ish for licence so it does not need to be that big or expensive. Could build it facing the wood and give their fans a treat haha.

Seen on SFA website Saints got theirs, although no announcement from the club as far as I am aware.

Newton could build a stand, think cash is the restriction here though. All they would need to do would be to get trees cut back and fence stepped back. Front of stand would be in line with current fenceline. Think you only need standing room for 250 ish for licence so it does not need to be that big or expensive. Could build it facing the wood and give their fans a treat haha.

Seen on SFA website Saints got theirs, although no announcement from the club as far as I am aware.

Whenever it has been mentioned to people from NSFC, it had been said that the best bet would be to use the dugout side for the stand... Although this has not been brought up in a long time

It had been spoke about quite a bit mate... Only really in the few months after the 3G was installed

Who had mentioned it??
The only place a stand had been mentioned was between the middle 2 flood lights

Archived