Your Manager/Players

What's the obsession with giving nicknames in football?

Pars signed Higginbotham and he's and instant 'Higgy'.

Moffat is the 'Moff'.

You get the picture.

Worst one I remember was Tony Mowbary when at Celtic being called Mogga.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have 'the Cat' currently and before him we had 'the witch'. We also have 'Mango' stealing wages at the minute as well.

Every time somebody speaks about higginbotham, it would get quite frustrating saying that name constantly, so 'higgy' is a lot better for short. Same as Callachan for us being referred to as 'Cal' being a lot easier to speak about.

Lazier would probably be a better word to use.

Football fans are generally far too lazy to prounce a players full name constantly therefore shorten it to 1 or 2 syllables at most.

It really annoys me when people call Mark Docherty - official nickname Sparky - Doc. 

Our team have no good nicknames, all just the usual stuff; Div, Gaz, Stevo, Gal, Fraz, Aldo, Petts, Thommo etc etc.

I want someone with a properly odd nickname, like Mad Dog Pogatetz or something.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

It really annoys me when people call Mark Docherty - official nickname Sparky - Doc. 

Our team have no good nicknames, all just the usual stuff; Div, Gaz, Stevo, Gal, Fraz, Aldo, Petts, Thommo etc etc.

I want someone with a properly odd nickname, like Mad Dog Pogatetz or something.

I quite like Berbathom, to be fair.

There seems to be a few who get annoyed by nicknames on here, so I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I quite like Berbathom, to be fair.

There seems to be a few who get annoyed by nicknames on here, so I'm all for it.

Berbathom is good, it's just not widespread enough.

Mind there was someone on here years ago who got wound up because we were calling Danny Rogers "Danny", even though we weren't personal m8s of his. That was fantastic.

Derek Colquhounwas(former striker) was nicknamed Shovelheid on account of an act of aggression with a shovel in the Bog (area next to Falkirk Stadium).

Danny McBreen was nicknamed Tripod for obvious reasons (not his camera skills). ;-)

Mark Beck was nicknamed The Kelpie by me and the lads around me after 1 game due to his gangly appearence and the fact he played (at first) like a carthorse.

Greig Shaw was nicknamed Bambie due to his long legs and ability to run like a newly born deer.

Others -
Stuart Burgess - Sumo
John Hughes - Yogi
Peter Hetherston - Silky

2 hours ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Derek Colquhounwas(former striker) was nicknamed Shovelheid on account of an act of aggression with a shovel in the Bog (area next to Falkirk Stadium).

Danny McBreen was nicknamed Tripod for obvious reasons (not his camera skills). ;-)

Mark Beck was nicknamed The Kelpie by me and the lads around me after 1 game due to his gangly appearence and the fact he played (at first) like a carthorse.

Greig Shaw was nicknamed Bambie due to his long legs and ability to run like a newly born deer.

Others -
Stuart Burgess - Sumo
John Hughes - Yogi
Peter Hetherston - Silky

'Bambi'. An original one. Surprised you didn't add the oh so amusing 'on ice' part after it.

'Kelpie' isn't bad mind.

As Shoo says, footballers nicknames are almost always dreadful and a damning indictment of how thick many of them are.

I have a mate who's nickname is El-Hadji. His name is Lewis, he's from Kirkintilloch, he is white Scottish, he's never even been to Senegal and he's a rampant Celtic fan who despises Diouf (and really anything or anyone in a Rangers top). Absolutely nae idea where it came from, but it's how everyone in our group knows him.

Generic nicknames thread for this (I know, I started it), but can anyone out random that nickname?

5 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I have a mate who's nickname is El-Hadji. His name is Lewis, he's from Kirkintilloch, he is white Scottish, he's never even been to Senegal and he's a rampant Celtic fan who despises Diouf (and really anything or anyone in a Rangers top). Absolutely nae idea where it came from, but it's how everyone in our group knows him.

Generic nicknames thread for this (I know, I started it), but can anyone out random that nickname?

I have a pal called Tal, his real name is Ciaran and he's a white Scottish Celtic fan of average height from Dunfermline, with absolutely no links to Ben-Haim or any other Israeli native.

Don't think it quite out randoms yersel but it's still completely baffling.

1 minute ago, Barn said:

I have a pal called Tal, his real name is Ciaran and he's a white Scottish Celtic fan of average height from Dunfermline, with absolutely no links to Ben-Haim or any other Israeli native.

Don't think it quite out randoms yersel but it's still completely baffling.

Forgive me if I've been whoooshed, but this could be it. TAL is quite common graffiti round certain areas of Glasgow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiocfaidh_ár_lá

Forgive me if I've been whoooshed, but this could be it. TAL is quite common graffiti round certain areas of Glasgow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiocfaidh_ár_lá

We have suggested this very explanation to him but he assures us it isn't it. He says he's been called it since before he can remember... Really bizarre.

1 minute ago, Kdawg said:

Everybody with the name Mark is nicknamed Sparky. Just like anyone with the surname Smith is nicknamed Smudger.

Or Smiddy, albeit I think that might be more of a west  thing with Smudger being the east version.

Archived