Match Day street vendors

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, £4m for each Old Firm club - £8m in total

Let's take Celtic individually. How many separate vendors are there selling this stuff?  Let's say there are twentybusinesses selling this stuff.

Twenty vendors sharing £4m in revenue - each should walk away with £200,000 a season, give or take.  

But how many items would you have to sell in order to chalk up that figure?  I've never bought a scarf from a vendor but lets suppose an average item price of £10.

So each vendor makes £200,000 a season selling £10 items.  That's 20,000 items per vendor every season.  Lets say they have 20 games - there might be more but I'd suspect European ties or Old Firm games will see more busienss than a league cup tie against Stranraer.  To maintain their revenue each vendor would need to make 1000 sales a game.  That's each individual vendor, not the total number.  

So you've got 20 vendors making 1000 sales EACH a game.  That means in order for the £4m a season figure to work you'd need around 20,000 people EVERY single game to buy a scarf, hat or flag for around £10.  Celtic's offical average last season was 44,850.  So for these numbers to work you'd need half of the attendees at Celtic Park to buy an item from one of these vendors EVERY single week.  Basically, you'd have to be buying a new scarf every month or so.

Doesn't seem plausible.

My reading of the article is that it's £4m between them.

36 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

So, £4m for each Old Firm club - £8m in total

Let's take Celtic individually. How many separate vendors are there selling this stuff?  Let's say there are twentybusinesses selling this stuff.

Twenty vendors sharing £4m in revenue - each should walk away with £200,000 a season, give or take.  

But how many items would you have to sell in order to chalk up that figure?  I've never bought a scarf from a vendor but lets suppose an average item price of £10.

So each vendor makes £200,000 a season selling £10 items.  That's 20,000 items per vendor every season.  Lets say they have 20 games - there might be more but I'd suspect European ties or Old Firm games will see more busienss than a league cup tie against Stranraer.  To maintain their revenue each vendor would need to make 1000 sales a game.  That's each individual vendor, not the total number.  

So you've got 20 vendors making 1000 sales EACH a game.  That means in order for the £4m a season figure to work you'd need around 20,000 people EVERY single game to buy a scarf, hat or flag for around £10.  Celtic's offical average last season was 44,850.  So for these numbers to work you'd need half of the attendees at Celtic Park to buy an item from one of these vendors EVERY single week.  Basically, you'd have to be buying a new scarf every month or so.

Doesn't seem plausible.

A lot of them do chuck their scarves onto the pitch in outrage tbf.

1 minute ago, Davie Bhoy said:

My reading of the article is that it's £4m between them.

Trader Joe Gallacher – who has admitted selling unofficial Old Firm goods – believes Celtic and Rangers are losing a minimum of £4million a year each.

I'd suggest that Mr Gallagher is full of shite. 

I don't see a problem with it. If fans want the official gear they will go get it. If they want the funny/offensive gear they go to the vendor. My question is where do the vendors get their stock?

Far from it costing the OF money, they'll be happy enough to have this trade carry on.  

It means that the sectarian shite they wish they could peddle themselves, is still being provided, ensuring that the match day experience is just as a large section of both supports would wish it.

There's clearly a market there (a free market) at most clubs across the Country, it's up to the individual. If you want to spend your hard earned cash on shite clobber it's up to you. The vendors are hardly making a lavish lifestyle out of it. Bought a couple of decent original badges and old programmes outside Ibrox down the years.

The ones at Celtic Park are never bothered by the police. Always made me wonder why they can stand only yards from the police selling scarves etc with the club crest on it & it to be ok. Like the vendor says...they don't seem interested I suppose unless they actually sell something that is a rip-off like the club shirts. Since they stay away from that then seems it's all good.

I remember reading a year or so ago that Celtic & Rangers had tried to take action against fake shirts being sold somewhere abroad.

There's a club appeared using the badge,crest etc of a defunct one unhindered, maybe the police have more to worry about.Give trading standards a phone,they may give the f@#k you're looking for

There was a boy selling Aberdeen stuff at the McDiarmid gates yesterday and quite a few Dons fans were getting scarves or a tammy.  I was thinking why would they give money to some weegie Del Boy* rather than to their own club, but I don't know how the prices compare.

*(He might have been from up north, I just automatically assume these characters come from the weeg.. There was a fair few of them about Perth the day after Saints won the Cup, they were selling loads.)

I'd suggest that Mr Gallagher is full of shite. 

My mistake. Yes, Mr Gallagher certainly has a high valuation of what is being lost to the clubs. I'd still imagine it's a fairly hefty figure that could benefit the clubs but £4m each is excessive.

Of course, chances are the media put their own figure in there.

I went to Newcastle v West Brom earlier this year and the lack of street vendors selling scarves etc was notable in comparison to what I have experienced in Scotland. Only place to buy a scarf was from the club shop (albeit i walked from the city centre to the gallowgate end so can't vouch for the rest of the routes to the ground). Ashley must exert some control outside the ground. I had thought i would encounter something similar to the wall of scarves and flags as you walk from Shawlands to Hampden. 

30 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

*(He might have been from up north, I just automatically assume these characters come from the weeg.. There was a fair few of them about Perth the day after Saints won the Cup, they were selling loads.)

I imagine they have a massive warehouse full of unsold jester hats in the colours of every club.

I went to Newcastle v West Brom earlier this year and the lack of street vendors selling scarves etc was notable in comparison to what I have experienced in Scotland. Only place to buy a scarf was from the club shop (albeit i walked from the city centre to the gallowgate end so can't vouch for the rest of the routes to the ground). Ashley must exert some control outside the ground. I had thought i would encounter something similar to the wall of scarves and flags as you walk from Shawlands to Hampden. 

Not much call for tat with proscribed organisations initials on them down there.

At the league cup final they had loads of 80s/90s style Dons flags etc that had clearly been sitting in some Glasgow warehouse for 20 years since we last won anything. Even after the game they were punting shitey "league cup winners medals" for a pound each.

These street entrepreneurs are catering to a niche market, so they should be left alone. It's getting bloody difficult to find good flute band music on a badly recorded C60 cassette tape these days - they'll be missed.

If it wasn't for street vendors, the prices in the club store would rise even higher.

Street vendors are not ripping anyone off. Fair play to them. 

Maybe the clubs should be pro-active and send out a vendor of their own to sell official stock.

Archived