Match Day street vendors

5 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

:lol: I get that mate, but is it to much to ask that as much as we all love the banter & rivalry, that not every post I put up is met with the same bs, time and time again from the usual suspects.

If you insist on starting threads try not lifting shite stories off of shite Celtic facebook pages about what a fucking street vendor's idle gossip is. If you want to discuss it, discuss it on the facebook pages. No one on here gives a f**k.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

According to the last Celtic financial report they made £11.68m from merchandise.  If Celtic were losing (very) roughly 25% of their revenue due to people selling pishy Bart Simpson scarves, you'd be certain to see those vendors all moved on at the very least.

I'd bet that the vast majority of the money made from merchandise is Celtic shirt sales and you never see those guys selling fake shirts.

Exactly. It's a complete non-issue.

If you insist on starting threads try not lifting shite stories off of shite Celtic facebook pages about what a fucking street vendor's idle gossip is. If you want to discuss it, discuss it on the facebook pages. No one on here gives a f**k.

The story was actually lifted from the media source itself. It was the fact the story was discussed on there that got me thinking about the situation with vendors at all football grounds and the impact they have on the club.

Take out the nuggets who just want an argument, there have been people discussing it so obviously some people do give a f**k.

39 years old :lol:

I take it you've never bought anything from a street vendor, Daviebhigot?

1. Why would you assume I've never bought anything for a street vendor?
2. Please explain why you're calling me a bigot?

Surely the cops can check the vendors have the appropriate street traders licence issued by GDC and if they don't they can be reported and have their tat seized.

The ones at Celtic Park are never bothered by the police. Always made me wonder why they can stand only yards from the police selling scarves etc with the club crest on it & it to be ok. Like the vendor says...they don't seem interested I suppose unless they actually sell something that is a rip-off like the club shirts. Since they stay away from that then seems it's all good.

I remember reading a year or so ago that Celtic & Rangers had tried to take action against fake shirts being sold somewhere abroad.

1 minute ago, Davie Bhoy said:

I suppose unless they actually sell something that is a rip-off like the club shirts. Since they stay away from that then seems it's all good.

So it's not really an issue then.

1. I'm asking if you have, therefore you are part of the very problem you are slavering on about

2. I didn't call you a bigot

1. There were many questions raised. Some asking if the vendors were a good thing in a roundabout way. So your views determine if it's a problem or not. I'm certainly not "slavering" about it. Just putting it out there for discussion

2. If you are calling me Daviebhigot then you are implying I'm a bigot and playing on the silent h that Celtic use in Bhoys. All a bit pedantic but this is the road you choose to go down of course. So I'll ask again, why are you calling me a bigot (bhigot)?

3. Will you apologise yet for also calling me a grass due to false claims you made that I got someone banned?

5 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

If you asked the clubs I'm sure they'd say it was. 

Nope. If it was a problem the clubs would have it stopped, as has been pointed out umpteen times already.

So, £4m for each Old Firm club - £8m in total

Let's take Celtic individually. How many separate vendors are there selling this stuff?  Let's say there are twentybusinesses selling this stuff.

Twenty vendors sharing £4m in revenue - each should walk away with £200,000 a season, give or take.  

But how many items would you have to sell in order to chalk up that figure?  I've never bought a scarf from a vendor but lets suppose an average item price of £10.

So each vendor makes £200,000 a season selling £10 items.  That's 20,000 items per vendor every season.  Lets say they have 20 games - there might be more but I'd suspect European ties or Old Firm games will see more busienss than a league cup tie against Stranraer.  To maintain their revenue each vendor would need to make 1000 sales a game.  That's each individual vendor, not the total number.  

So you've got 20 vendors making 1000 sales EACH a game.  That means in order for the £4m a season figure to work you'd need around 20,000 people EVERY single game to buy a scarf, hat or flag for around £10.  Celtic's offical average last season was 44,850.  So for these numbers to work you'd need half of the attendees at Celtic Park to buy an item from one of these vendors EVERY single week.  Basically, you'd have to be buying a new scarf every month or so.

Doesn't seem plausible.

Just now, Rugster said:

Why do Celtic put a silent "H" in boys?

Something to do with the immigrants hybrid accent/phonetic spelling from around the time of Celtic's formation. I think.

Or what Stan said.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

So, £4m for each Old Firm club - £8m in total

Let's take Celtic individually. How many separate vendors are there selling this stuff?  Let's say there are twentybusinesses selling this stuff.

Twenty vendors sharing £4m in revenue - each should walk away with £200,000 a season, give or take.  

But how many items would you have to sell in order to chalk up that figure?  I've never bought a scarf from a vendor but lets suppose an average item price of £10.

So each vendor makes £200,000 a season selling £10 items.  That's 20,000 items per vendor every season.  Lets say they have 20 games - there might be more but I'd suspect European ties or Old Firm games will see more busienss than a league cup tie against Stranraer.  To maintain their revenue each vendor would need to make 1000 sales a game.  That's each individual vendor, not the total number.  

So you've got 20 vendors making 1000 sales EACH a game.  That means in order for the £4m a season figure to work you'd need around 20,000 people EVERY single game to buy a scarf, hat or flag for around £10.  Celtic's offical average last season was 44,850.  So for these numbers to work you'd need half of the attendees at Celtic Park to buy an item from one of these vendors EVERY single week.  Basically, you'd have to be buying a new scarf every month or so.

Doesn't seem plausible.

Mate, there were 22 million Celtic fans in Seville FFS. Of course it's plausible.

If you could make £8m by controlling the scarf stands outside Ibrox and Parkhead I'd expect the local "gangsters" to be in control of the business.  Given that it's a cash business and is in a legal grey area if you could make millions out of this I think you'd have the scarf equivalent of the Ice Cream Wars.  You'd also have the taxman very interested as a business taking in millions entirely in small denomination notes would be a natural target for tax evasion.

Archived