Airdrieonians vs Livingston

Mullen's hammy overacting would put Tommy Wiseau to shame, but that's certainly not the reason we lost.  The reason we lost was that we made atrocious errors in defence for three goals (I don't mind the fourth so much - you throw men up to get an equaliser, it's a risk you take), and didn't create much of note in the first half.  In the second we were much better, but it took too long to get going.

Brown didn't have a great game, though he's got plenty of credit built up from this goals in the last three games.  Boateng was good in the air, but made some sloppy mistakes as well - I hope those were because of a lack of sharpness due to not having played much recently, and will get ironed out over the next few weeks.

Conroy and Leitch (whom I hope we sign) both played well, as did Scott Stewart.  Ryan did well to get his goals, especially as he took that knock at the end of the first half, and was clearly done towards the end, but kept going.

On today's showing, I wouldn't take any of the ex-Airdrie players back from Livi.  I don't think they caused many problems, apart from the throw-in for the second goal. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't expect that starting line up, both Buchanan and Mullen playing but Mullin was dropped to the bench, which only gave us Cadden on the wing. Pittman was playing further forward than Buchanan for most of the game too and looked more like he was the striker partnering Mullen.

Anyway it kinda worked as we were 2 up first half and both goals scored by our official strikers, Mullen and Buchanan. Still felt we'd have done better with Mullin and Cadden playing but one went off as the other came on and he got our 4th goal to make certain of the points.

This game played out much the same as last week, up 2 goals and then looked lethargic in the 2nd half until Airdrie hit us with a sucker punch from a boot up the pitch and only one defender back leaving us one on one with Ryan getting the better of him sticking it past Kelly. We go 2 ahead again and look comfortable then lose another to make it nervy again. We should've had it sewn up a couple of times before Buchanan finally squared it for Mullin to score, we had 2 other chances to do that but didn't pass and lost the ball.

Great 3 points though and entertaining listening to some of the Airdrie boys losing the plot over Mullen going down as much as Beany, and swearing at the ref and lino, quality.:lol:

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Thought 4-2 flattered us aswell, didn't think we played well at all. Predictably poor defensively, MacDonald has been much poorer than I had hoped, and McIntosh was run ragged by the Livi front players, constantly pulled all over the place and getting too tight and giving stupid fouls away. I think there's potential there but he's still out his depth at the moment. No idea why he would start over Gorman. Boateng was kind of what I imagined, a bit bomb-scary but should win his fair share in the air which is what we need. However Stewart has been really good recently, really growing into that position. I'm also concerned how little we are creating, today we scored from a hoof up the park which worked because Crighton was still up the park from a throw-in, and a set piece. Did we create another good chance? Last week we scored from a penalty out of nothing, a corner and a weird deflected breakaway. We'll still score because we have quality in forward areas and because you'll always get gifted goals in this league, but we've clearly not got a system which suits us going forward yet either.

Livi will be way ahead of us this year, very solid at the back and have plenty goals going forward. We are very much a work in progress which I'm quite happy with as long as we are getting better. The players are clearly giving their all and the games will be entertaining. Despite our weaknesses I'd much rather have a team like this who can get better and exciting games than the dross of the last few years.

Glad to see there are some Airdrie posters to balance up the deranged Cooper. Airdrie played some nice passing football without doing much to threaten us in the final third and we really should've won this game a lot more comfortably than we did. Would've been all over at 3-0 but we gave you a lifeline from the boot up the pitch when Crighton was still up in the Airdrie half.

Airdrie play some neat passing football but they weren't too clever in the final third, we really should've had it sewn up with a 3rd goal a couple of times before getting caught out with a boot up the pitch. Thought 4-2 made it more of a reflection on the game but 5-2 would probably have given a fairer one.

Early doors but I think there is a lot more to come from us and we've just scored 9 goals from 2 games without hitting top form yet.

Left at half time.

This 'play from the back' shit is fine if you have the players. On that evidence, we don't.  Livvy knew what our game plan was and pressed us deep in our own half when our 'keeper had ball in hand. That does not work.

This shit aint gonna fly in this league.

A lot of positives from today which makes the defeat a bit more palatable however we have serious defensive issues to sort out. The players have clearly been told to stick to the plan and pass out from the keeper but that just doesn't fly when the whole team is marked. In pretty much every game we have conceded goals and gifted opportunities by Rohan persisting with passing it out or trying difficult angled balls to the full backs. We need to learn to mix it up and alternate between going short and long from goal kicks. Despite that it is great to watch at times and for the first 15 mins of the second half we were bossing the game and switching the play brilliantly. Livingstont, as expected, are much more game smart and took their opportunities well today. They were set up to exploit our vulnerabilities and did so for all their goals through set pieces and pressing our defence on our 18 yard line as we try to pass out. I expect livi and Alloa to be comfortably top 2, we will be best of the rest in 3rd as long as we tighten up defensively.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned how truly goddamn awful our supposed captain is. Fitzpatrick is rank rotten. He's not a leader that inspires and misplaced about 90% of his passes. He is simply not good enough. He should have been subbed and we need a long term replacement or we will suffer. 

Secondly, we did not control our own box today. We lost far too many important headers, didn't clear our lines and were rightly punished. For all Crichton & Lithgiw are slow, they dominated in the air and got the ball away when required. Our tippy tappy play got us in trouble too often. Fine to do at times. But sometimes putting your foot through the ball and punting it clear is fine too! 

Finally, silly individual errors need to be cut out and the players MUST learn from their mistakes. Ferguson twice tried to lob the ball out wide to McDonald and it was cut out both times. The 2nd time lead to Livi scoring. McIntosh mistimed a jump for another lost goal. 

There were lots of positives today , but sadly they were outnumbered by mistakes.

I wouldn't worry about Alloa, they'll fade away as the season goes on and if Hopkin has anything about him he'll send the team out in a few weeks to hand them a right good pumping. We've romped to back to back wins without playing above 60%, but I still think we have a much weaker side than last season. I'm not convinced we have much about us this season, but this league does seem really poor. Main concern is putting Alloa in their place, but I've watched enough football to know that'll happen.

Pittman and Mullen look really solid at this level, been really impressed by those 2 in our league matches. Heard Gallagher is out of the jail? Would take him back in a second, we looked really disorganised in central defence - Alan Lithgow shouldn't be playing for Livi.

15 minutes ago, Ayia Napa Daz said:

Heard Gallagher is out of the jail? Would take him back in a second, we looked really disorganised in central defence - Alan Lithgow shouldn't be playing for Livi.

Would take him over Crighton rather than over Lithgow. Would be a good signing though, wonder if the club will still stick by him now Burchill is gone

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned how truly goddamn awful our supposed captain is. Fitzpatrick is rank rotten. He's not a leader that inspires and misplaced about 90% of his passes. He is simply not good enough. He should have been subbed and we need a long term replacement or we will suffer. 

Secondly, we did not control our own box today. We lost far too many important headers, didn't clear our lines and were rightly punished. For all Crichton & Lithgiw are slow, they dominated in the air and got the ball away when required. Our tippy tappy play got us in trouble too often. Fine to do at times. But sometimes putting your foot through the ball and punting it clear is fine too! 

Finally, silly individual errors need to be cut out and the players MUST learn from their mistakes. Ferguson twice tried to lob the ball out wide to McDonald and it was cut out both times. The 2nd time lead to Livi scoring. McIntosh mistimed a jump for another lost goal. 

There were lots of positives today , but sadly they were outnumbered by mistakes.

You can't really comment on leadership without hearing him on the pitch or the changing room. Unfortunately for him he's stuck in the middle of a system which does not play to his strengths and highlights his weaknesses. Under Bollan I thought he was really good, because in that system the midfield's job was to scrap, win headers, pick up knock-downs and drive forward to support Lister holding the ball up. All stuff he could do. Now he has to spend most of the game 30 yards out from his own goal trying to turn midfielders and play passes.

Gallagher would stroll it in this league, he strolled it in the Championship too. Would love him back at Livi, a ball player who brings it out of defence and bosses it whether it is high balls or coming at him on the ground. You're probably on the wind up though.

Him and Keaghan Jacobs signed back up would make my year.

7 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

You can't really comment on leadership without hearing him on the pitch or the changing room. Unfortunately for him he's stuck in the middle of a system which does not play to his strengths and highlights his weaknesses. Under Bollan I thought he was really good, because in that system the midfield's job was to scrap, win headers, pick up knock-downs and drive forward to support Lister holding the ball up. All stuff he could do. Now he has to spend most of the game 30 yards out from his own goal trying to turn midfielders and play passes.

I'd rather watch the team we have now than watch Bollans team. We are trying to play football, which most fans seem to appreciate. If he can't fit into the new system then he needs replaced I'm afraid. 

In fairness, Bollan signed him as a centre back, he was awful.   He played him centre mid and he was so awful he replaced him with Fraser that first season and had him playing, if that's the word, as almost a left wing during the run in.  Last year he had that centre mid role nailed down and he was utter dross to the point no other players could function besides him.  DaF is 100% correct that his main strength as a midfielder fighting for scraps off knockdowns.  He's also seen as a "big guy for defending corners" (which he isnt any good at).

I'm going to buck a trend here and say that I think Fitz could be of use to us.   McDonald's defensive game is poor.    Fitz was a leftback most of his career.   Fitz is ruining our midfield and stealing gametime from Conor and Daly.

I'm struggling to make the connection, can anyone help?

Despite the result I'm cautiously optimistic after that performance. We looked quite good going forward, especially in the 2nd half, we'll score goals and it's far more entertaining that the Bollan years. However the defence looked like they met for the first time shortly before kick off, hopefully a benefit of fulltime football is that we have time to drill them as a unit between games.

On tactics, if we're going to play it out from the back then it needs to be much sharper. Ferguson has to release it immediately before the opposition are back in position and all of our players are marked. And we probably need a ballplayer rather than Fitzpatrick as the holding midfielder.

Your first goal came from a long ball straight up the pitch, playing fancy football from the back isn't always the best way to score goals. We had that tippy tappy stuff under Hughes and got mugged more often than not when teams sussed out we wouldn't just launch the ball up the pitch. Airdrie played nice passes, esp up your left wing with overlaps. but it wasn't direct or quick enough to hurt us. Your best moves were when you got a ball hit up to run at our defence, the odd time you did that we struggled to deal with it.

Archived