The Sons v The Arabs 13/8/16

5 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

Martins kicking is still 10 X better than brown

I thought in the first half it was just as bad. But in the 2nd it became pretty clear there had been a bit of a wind against us in the first half. I didn't even realise, which shows how Utd used it to their advantage...

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought that you played well when the fans were singing, and then faded when they stopped.You certainly didn't go for it in the last few minutes, which surprised me somewhat. I expected us to be ragdolled as the game concluded, but we weren't.

And don't forget that we had a decent goalkeeper who played pretty well yesterday. Had that been Mark Brown in the sticks it would have been easily a cricket score for you.

You'll still be in the top three come next May, I'm sure.

My Arab-supporting best mate got it bad from me last night though......:lol:

A cricket score? Really?

I remember sitting at the game yesterday and thinking we had more clear cut chances than Dundee Utd.

Martin's 2 excellent saves and Simon Murray's sitter are the only ones I can remember. There may have been others that I can't think of off the top of my head but overall I thought we were the better team with the better chances and fully deserved the win, maybe even by a bigger margin.

26 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A cricket score? Really?

I remember sitting at the game yesterday and thinking we had more clear cut chances than Dundee Utd.

Martin's 2 excellent saves and Simon Murray's sitter are the only ones I can remember. There may have been others that I can't think of off the top of my head but overall I thought we were the better team with the better chances and fully deserved the win, maybe even by a bigger margin.

I'm sure somebody posted the stats and Dundee Utd only got 2 shots on target. Which kinda rules out the cricket score theory?

Yep, we had more corners, shots and shots on target than them.

24 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A cricket score? Really?

Aye had we won 2 nil it would have been a fairer reflection.We should've had a second penalty when i look at it again on the highlights.Just delighted we hung on for the 3pts as we tend to lose late goals but yesterday we were well organized and very determined.

1 hour ago, aftershocker said:

I'm not brown's greatest fan, but I don't think the score would have been all that much different. Martin looks assured and probably reassures the defence, but he actually had very little to do yesterday. He made a good save near the end, but it did look to be straight at him. Martin's kicking isn't always the greatest either.

I think brown's demeanour was his worst enemy - he had a habit of looking disinterested which seems to have turned the fans against him, but to suggest he would have let in a cricket score of goals is ridiculous

He made an astoundingly good save from a Jamie Robson (iirc) volley as well. Not a chance Brown (or Jaz) would've got near it.

2 hours ago, aftershocker said:

I'm not brown's greatest fan, but I don't think the score would have been all that much different. Martin looks assured and probably reassures the defence, but he actually had very little to do yesterday. He made a good save near the end, but it did look to be straight at him. Martin's kicking isn't always the greatest either.

I think brown's demeanour was his worst enemy - he had a habit of looking disinterested which seems to have turned the fans against him, but to suggest he would have let in a cricket score of goals is ridiculous

You're rather contradicting yourself there.  The reassurance with the 'keeper in what was a makeshift defence was almost tangible yesterday, something that has been signally absent in Mark Brown's time at Dumbarton.

I don't normally go for personal criticisms of players but Brown and his wife have aired their opinions, so might I.  As for Martin's kicking, I genuinely can't recall anything that was iffy about it.

Re: Martin's kicking, I don't think it's at all poor, I just think we were spoiled with Shay's obscene accuracy from goal kicks. He had plenty of experience booting into a strong wind before he altered his technique accordingly and I reckon Martin will be fine, Danny Rogers and Jamie Ewings both really struggled to cope with the wind at the Rock at first - and they turned out to be alright! 

11 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

I'm sure somebody posted the stats and Dundee Utd only got 2 shots on target. Which kinda rules out the cricket score theory?

Yep, we had more corners, shots and shots on target than them.

There you go......

stats.png

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Dumbarton aren't very good so United must have been utterly woeful to lose to them.

Must be a bit of a minter supporting the only team who couldn't score against our absolute shambles of a defence.

Dumbarton aren't very good so United must have been utterly woeful to lose to them.

I thought we looked ok but if you want to do your own team down in an excessive manner then be my guest. McKinnon in the papers saying that Dumbarton had slowed United down to their level. It only goes to prove that managers are capable of spouting as much laughable pish as the fans...........

I thought we looked ok but if you want to do your own team down in an excessive manner then be my guest. McKinnon in the papers saying that Dumbarton had slowed United down to their level. It only goes to prove that managers are capable of spouting as much laughable pish as the fans...........

So by virtue of his comments then, his full-time, apparently big-hitting, title-challenging Dundee United, couldn't hack it when the game came 'down' to our 'slow' part-time level?

Minter.

21 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

McKinnon is a smug c**t. Got one of those faces you'd never tire of pulverising with your fist.

The fact he's clearly fizzing and trying to shirk responsibility for his rabble pleases me greatly.

Get it up ye Ray

69e96ba09c553dffbd38312a33f88487.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Archived