Musselburgh Athletic Football Club

Benny The Fish

After a great win from being 2-0 down in the Scottish against Lochee 2 weeks ago, and very unlucky not to take point(s) last week against Kelty, today certainly wasn't our best performance of the season, but at least we didn't end 2016 with a loss. 2nd 1-1 draw this season against Camelon, with Mathu King, proving again he is one of the best forwards in our league.
Hope the boys have a great break over the Festive period, and then start 2017 with a home win on 7 Jan against HoB.
Mon The Burgh!

Out of interest who's your top 5 or say 10 strikers in the league then? Totally respect your opinion just thought I'd ask pal [emoji3]

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Van magic said:

Out of interest who's your top 5 or say 10 strikers in the league then? Totally respect your opinion just thought I'd ask pal emoji3.png

Mathu obviously for the amount of goals he scores for us, and that he has played at this level over a number of seasons - he would always be in my starting line-up, but I may be a bit biased! 

Other four, because of their strength, quickness and goals;  i, Stuart Cargill - Kelty;  ii, Kevin Kelbie - probably more when he was at Camelon, and he should have stayed their - perhaps intimidated by T C!s big heid at Lithae;  iii, Keiran McGachie Bonnyrigg and iv,  Fraser Keast at Bo'ness. 

Any you agree/disagree with?

Mathu obviously for the amount of goals he scores for us, and that he has played at this level over a number of seasons - he would always be in my starting line-up, but I may be a bit biased! 
Other four, because of their strength, quickness and goals;  i, Stuart Cargill - Kelty;  ii, Kevin Kelbie - probably more when he was at Camelon, and he should have stayed their - perhaps intimidated by T C!s big heid at Lithae;  iii, Keiran McGachie Bonnyrigg and iv,  Fraser Keast at Bo'ness. 
Any you agree/disagree with?

I'll do my homework and get back to you must say 37 goals last season Mcintosh must be sniffing about [emoji23]
Could make a good thread tho I'll leave that to you preferably as you have done a too 5 not including and including your own team.

1 minute ago, Van magic said:

I'll do my homework and get back to you must say 37 goals last season Mcintosh must be sniffing about emoji23.png
Could make a good thread tho I'll leave that to you preferably as you have done a too 5 not including and including your own team.

Thought of picking Mcintosh, as getting so many goals last year was a great achievement. However, I've seen Bonnyrigg 5 times this season, and Mcintosh, doesn't seem to be getting as much playing time this year -and for the type of player, I'd probably pick Cargill b4 McIntosh. I picked McGachie from your team as he is strong, physical, great with his head, and thought he played well against Dumbarton!

Kieron was great in the games against Dumbarton. McIntosh been struggling a bit for goals recently though has been playing through injury, so fair play to him. Thought Wayne put a fantastic shift in at Dumbarton for the record

• 2 weeks later...

All the best to Shandy, Geordie and the Burgh team, as well as Charlie, May and the rest of the committee for 2017.

Weather permitting, let's hope during January, of an early win against HoB on the 7th and ending with a positive result against KRR on 28th - and in between, beating the wee Rose and Carnoustie. Not asking for too much!

Mon the Burgh!!

All the best too you as well Benny. Glad too see you are back on Pie and Bovril! Need a few more of us for this thread!

With the way we started today, - early goal from Ralton and some great passing/ football from The Burgh, I thought we would comfortably beat HoB today. However, after about 20 minutes, we seemed to go off the boil and disappointed it ended 1-1.

Couple of great saves by Kieron and thought our best player by a mile today was Skip! 

Very unlucky not to come away with all 3 points today. Played better in the first half and should have scored 2 or 3 goals before HoB equalised. Jed had a great chance to put us 2-0 up when on the edge of the goal area, but just took too long to shoot. Sometimes think we play great up to the18 yard line and then lack a bit of confidence when we should be having a shot at goal. With the players and team spirit we have, we should have won more than 1 league game at home this season.

However, onwards to next week, and let's go to Linlithgow with confidence and come back with all 3 points. Need to try and get a couple of wins to boost the confidence before the cup game at the end of January against KRR.

Mon the Burgh!

• 2 weeks later...

A very dubious late penalty gave Carnoustie a 3-3 draw at Olivebank. Even their supporters nearby didn't think it was penalty. However, even though the Burgh were 2-0 down in the first half, we were the better team and enough possession to win the game. Too may draws at home - that's six in10 games, and 8 overall in17 games. 

Onwards to next week, against KRR in the Scottish. Maybe I should have a wee bet on another draw?

Going to be hard to get a victory in the Scottish Cup on Saturday, against KRR, who are top of the West Super League.

However, if we do win, what an incentive in the next round - an away tie against Penicuik. Although they are high up in the East Super League - would be confident of Musselburgh progressing after that tie!!

Mon the Burgh!

2 hours ago, wee mike said:
I'm sure they beat Penicuik in the Scottish 2 years ago when progressing to the final.

Indeed. I'm sure we beat them 2-0 in the quarter final at olivebank. Need to get a win against KRR but if we beat them we'll beat the Cuik again!

Saw something on twitter recently, that showed stats for the last six games, and on that basis had Musselburgh 2nd bottom in the league with 4 points - from 4 draws and 2 defeats.

Not the kind of form to go into an away Scottish cup game. However, I know we have good players, and if we play the same as we did against Lochee in the last round, we can come away with a positive result on Saturday.

Mon the Burgh!

How are you lot feeling about this weekends tie against the Roy??

I must be honest with you. If there's any sign of rain over the next few days at all, and that coo field of a pitch up in Cumbernauld will be off again guys.

Its worse than the Camelon pitch that you guys in the East go on about, with the added pressure of two teams using it!

I'm always confident when I go to a game that we will do well. However, lately although we have good spells in each match, we can't contain the level for the full 90 minutes, hence why we aren't winning any. 

I am biased but I think we have one of the best 'older' strikers in our league, in Matti King, and have got a few young players who are equiping themselves well in their first season at the Burgh, mainly 'Skip' Murphy and Connor Sprowatt. Finally I'll mention Jed Davie, who was a 'bit' player in the last couple of seasons. However, since the new management team have come in, what a change in his performances, and has chances of being our player of the season this year.

I'm under no illusion that we have a tough game on Saturday especially the great season KRR are having!

I hope your prediction of another postponement doesn't happen this weekend! However, having been to the Scottish Cup final twice in the last few years, I hope we can get their again this season. Perhaps, KRR may want to switch the match to Olivebank if the match is in any doubt!

Hope its a good game, and even if ended in a draw, I would be take that!

What are your thoughts on the tie?

17 minutes ago, Toffee fan said:

I'm always confident when I go to a game that we will do well. However, lately although we have good spells in each match, we can't contain the level for the full 90 minutes, hence why we aren't winning any. 

I am biased but I think we have one of the best 'older' strikers in our league, in Matti King, and have got a few young players who are equiping themselves well in their first season at the Burgh, mainly 'Skip' Murphy and Connor Sprowatt. Finally I'll mention Jed Davie, who was a 'bit' player in the last couple of seasons. However, since the new management team have come in, what a change in his performances, and has chances of being our player of the season this year.

I'm under no illusion that we have a tough game on Saturday especially the great season KRR are having!

I hope your prediction of another postponement doesn't happen this weekend! However, having been to the Scottish Cup final twice in the last few years, I hope we can get their again this season. Perhaps, KRR may want to switch the match to Olivebank if the match is in any doubt!

Hope its a good game, and even if ended in a draw, I would be take that!

What are your thoughts on the tie?

I can honestly say I haven't seen much of them this season. I would definately fancy my chances against them though if you get in about them and don't allow them space / time on the ball.

Big loss for them is loosing Willie Sawyers for a while with injury. The big man seemed to be running the show for them up front. Everything went through him as he could hold the ball up and play in the other guys, and he could fairly bang them in himself!

Big man doesnt look like a player (heavy build) and gets sum amount of stick from opposition supporters wherever he goes in the West lol! The Kilsyth boys love to give out to him for sure lol. No love lost between us and him / them lol :lol: 

Geme could easily off this wknd IMO. Lots of wet weather forecasted I see! Change in venue to away teams ground if this happens again aye???

So you haven't seen much of us coyle yet you would definently ' fancy my chances against them ' Ok then.

Willie will be back very soon maybe not on saturday but very soon all things being well.

Many teams have tried to close us down and get in about us but we have managed well just as we have without sawyers.

Why would the game get switched ffs this is only the second attempt at the game and numerous games were off last week across all regions.

Pipe doon coyle

Archived