League 2 Attendances

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

And they've been extremely poor fair play to the support I say must've been a tough few years

Going back to their rise to the Championship, their home support was always around 300, so yes they have followed them through thick and thin, credit to them for that. 

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously our average in the Championship was much greater than it is now, but our average home gate was probably still less than 600 (2 games against Rangers seen a few away supporters in the home end). Our crowds have always been pish.

I take it all these figures come from the published crowds. I have been at Elgin's last two games and crowds announced have been 500 plus but certainly on Sat passed, it was defo nearer 700. I would imagine it would be the same at other clubs.

Working ways around the wonga

Have to remember though hospitality and comps etc don't get counted it's people through turnstiles

So if hospitality is busy and there's family/local teams in etc then will be more

Our game v Forfar was 862 but with all the football team bairns and their parents and comps plus 100 or so in hospitality all adds up

Looked like a good crowd at Station Park Saturday too compared to the published figure

Working ways around the wonga

Have to remember though hospitality and comps etc don't get counted it's people through turnstiles

So if hospitality is busy and there's family/local teams in etc then will be more

Our game v Forfar was 862 but with all the football team bairns and their parents and comps plus 100 or so in hospitality all adds up

Looked like a good crowd at Station Park Saturday too compared to the published figure

There is no rule saying that hospitality and comps etc don't get counted. At Cowdenbeath they are included. Season ticket holders who attend are included but not those who don't attend. Cowden also put out accurate actual crowd figures. Cowden's crowds are impacted by the poor facilities, the nearness of other teams who may be successful, west Fife floating fans were attracted to Dunfermline for example by their big spending and relative success which ended in administration - that was to CFCs detriment, the impact of the closing of local traditional industries, and the fact that Cowdenbeath at one time were a pretty successful and established top flight team (Most league 2 teams have never had that) which means higher expectations despite it being so long ago, the fact that for over 30 years the club was owned by non local people and thus lost some of its community roots - stock cars produced good income for club but that meant local sponsors and backers and hospitality were not developed as they were at other clubs - no stock car income now, the ownership by innovate who bought the club in 2007 as a property investment play and were not seen to be interested in the club (it is now owned by Donald Findlay on behalf of community but Innovate retain ground ownership - again there is a lack of understanding locally of just what the position is, etc.

4 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

There is no rule saying that hospitality and comps etc don't get counted. At Cowdenbeath they are included. Season ticket holders who attend are included but not those who don't attend. Cowden also put out accurate actual crowd figures. Cowden's crowds are impacted by the poor facilities, the nearness of other teams who may be successful, west Fife floating fans were attracted to Dunfermline for example by their big spending and relative success which ended in administration - that was to CFCs detriment, the impact of the closing of local traditional industries, and the fact that Cowdenbeath at one time were a pretty successful and established top flight team (Most league 2 teams have never had that) which means higher expectations despite it being so long ago, the fact that for over 30 years the club was owned by non local people and thus lost some of its community roots - stock cars produced good income for club but that meant local sponsors and backers and hospitality were not developed as they were at other clubs - no stock car income now, the ownership by innovate who bought the club in 2007 as a property investment play and were not seen to be interested in the club (it is now owned by Donald Findlay on behalf of community but Innovate retain ground ownership - again there is a lack of understanding locally of just what the position is, etc.

That was before the Second World War, surely?  82 years is a long time ago, (apart from a handful of games in the aborted 1939/40 season), is there anyone alive who can remember those days?

That was before the Second World War, surely?  82 years is a long time ago, (apart from a handful of games in the aborted 1939/40 season), is there anyone alive who can remember those days?

Why would a community forget - we remember ww1 still? Many Cowden fans today had fathers and grandads who saw those days and passed that tradition on to their family members - hence higher expectations than in a community who has never been at the top table. Many of our fans saw us in the top flight in 1970/71. Cowdenbeath also is a small town that traditionally has a very strong football heritage of talented local players who played at a high level. The last few years though were hardly disappointing - 4 seasons out of 5 in what is now known as the championship and an impressive league title in the other season is something many other teams would be delighted to experience. Unfortunately Bosman means you get nothing for your best players who you cant effectively replace

Just now, Cowden Cowboy said:

Why would a community forget - we remember ww1 still? Many Cowden fans today had fathers and grandads who saw those days and passed that tradition on to their family members - hence higher expectations than in a community who has never been at the top table. Many of our fans saw us in the top flight in 1970/71. Cowdenbeath also is a small town that traditionally has a very strong football heritage of talented local players who played at a high level. The last few years though were hardly disappointing - 4 seasons out of 5 in what is now known as the championship and an impressive league title in the other season is something many other teams would be delighted to experience. Unfortunately Bosman means you get nothing for your best players who you cant effectively replace

So did I. Many of your fans must be 50+ then. No need to get your knickers in a twist. I merely asked if there was anyone alive who could still remember their pre WW11 top flight days. Arbroath have spent more seasons in the top flight since 1945 than Cowdenbeath, you don't read their fans prattling on about it.

So did I. Many of your fans must be 50+ then. No need to get your knickers in a twist. I merely asked if there was anyone alive who could still remember their pre WW11 top flight days. Arbroath have spent more seasons in the top flight since 1945 than Cowdenbeath, you don't read their fans prattling on about it.

I never realised some of the things we've done in our past till I was in my twenties. Couldn't believe that we'd been a top flight club. Guy on heres website actually, Relichtie.net taught me a lot. 17 when I found out we'd beaten rangers at Ibrox before.

The thing with Cowden is their crowds have always (in modern times) been utter shite, as has their ground. None of this is new/ overly surprising. What is incredibly surprising is despite this they have managed to go up, and stay up, in the Championship surrounded by full time teams in recent years which none of the rest of the teams in this division have done in recent times despite our far bigger crowds. Fairly impressive, and something for the rest of us to aspire to considering we've got far bigger budgets yet consistently have under performed in comparison, no?

I really don't fully understand how Cowden do it, but if they can then every other club in the division can aspire to do the same.

Why does answering your question involve getting knickers in a twist. Again nobody was prattling on about it until there was a query about our crowds on here. So if you don't want answers don't ask questions and yes Arbroath may have spent more years in top flight since the War but Cowdenbeath of course were cheated out of their top flight place after the war in 1946 and the community remembers that too. But sorry if actual information in response to queries is a problem for you. To answer your specific query there are a handful of fans that saw us in top flight before the war - not many left though. I will leave you now to prattle on.

I never realised some of the things we've done in our past till I was in my twenties. Couldn't believe that we'd been a top flight club. Guy on heres website actually, Relichtie.net taught me a lot. 17 when I found out we'd beaten rangers at Ibrox before.

Well don't prattle on about it

7 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Why does answering your question involve getting knickers in a twist. Again nobody was prattling on about it until there was a query about our crowds on here. So if you don't want answers don't ask questions and yes Arbroath may have spent more years in top flight since the War but Cowdenbeath of course were cheated out of their top flight place after the war in 1946 and the community remembers that too. But sorry if actual information in response to queries is a problem for you. To answer your specific query there are a handful of fans that saw us in top flight before the war - not many left though. I will leave you now to prattle on.

O.K.

The North remembers!

Come on, surely you don't believe this nonsense? Your crowds are low because the community remembers Cowdenbeath as a top flight club?

During the same time period you are talking about Clyde we're winning the Scottish Cup, three times. No Clyde fan is deluded enough to think we should be replicating that. You only need to dial it back ten years to when we were a only a few points of promotion to the SPL. Again, nobody is expecting that we will achieve that any time soon.

The North remembers!

Come on, surely you don't believe this nonsense? Your crowds are low because the community remembers Cowdenbeath as a top flight club?

During the same time period you are talking about Clyde we're winning the Scottish Cup, three times. No Clyde fan is deluded enough to think we should be replicating that. You only need to dial it back ten years to when we were a only a few points of promotion to the SPL. Again, nobody is expecting that we will achieve that any time soon.

My rationale quoted with all the accuracy of Donald Trump

36 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

The thing with Cowden is their crowds have always (in modern times) been utter shite, as has their ground. None of this is new/ overly surprising. What is incredibly surprising is despite this they have managed to go up, and stay up, in the Championship surrounded by full time teams in recent years which none of the rest of the teams in this division have done in recent times despite our far bigger crowds. Fairly impressive, and something for the rest of us to aspire to considering we've got far bigger budgets yet consistently have under performed in comparison, no?

I really don't fully understand how Cowden do it, but if they can then every other club in the division can aspire to do the same.

You forgot to factor in the influence of Mr Donald Findley and other Cowdenbeath board members.  

Archived