League 2 Attendances

Agreed Season ticket good value but crowds just not going up for us and their was a good crowd of my friends at game including some who havent been as much but even with that still below 500 , Time to please move and appreicate moving to Ruglen. EK or where ever might not double the gate but surely cant be any worse

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed Season ticket good value but crowds just not going up for us and their was a good crowd of my friends at game including some who havent been as much but even with that still below 500 , Time to please move and appreicate moving to Ruglen. EK or where ever might not double the gate but surely cant be any worse

Going by recent articles looks like Broadwood is preferred option by the board
Hopefully if we go.on a run and are up near top of the league might tempt a few more along

Guest The Phoenix
2 hours ago, Günther said:

Pricing is a huge problem. The clubs can't go too cheap as its their primary income. 

Sadly, if Gate Takings was the primary income for Clubs at our level (aside from a lucky bonus of a shared Cup gate against one of the big guns) we'd all be out of business. 

Doesn't mean we can charge less though - every penny helps balance the books. 

3 hours ago, clyde4ever said:

I agree.

Even worse is the 33% increase for concessions from £6 to £8. A guy in front of me yesterday had 2 kids with him. £29 for him and his 2 kids - for a Division 2 match :thumbsdown.

I was at the Cowdenbeath - Elgin game yesterday with my 2 kids, family gate only cost me £15. That's how to attract kids to football, well done Cowden.

Someone could correct me, but I don't think our average attendances have changed much over the past 20/30 years. Obviously the seasons where there's been a few bigger teams in the league there's been a spike, but it's always been around the same 400 die hards.

Tbh, I'm amazed they haven't dropped to Cowden, Stranraer numbers considering how we've done nothing in a decade.

21 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Tbf I don't mind people supporting the Dundee teams and Aberdeen. Folk I know that support them actually go to games. OF and EPL fans, however, can gtf.

This, I live in Dundee and the amount of people at my school who said they supported Celtic, Rangers or Liverpool, Man City or Chelsea is absurd. Those people are Fucking Embarrasments. If you look at the Netherlands or Poland, you don't get folk who say they support Borussia Dortmund or Bayern Munich and you don't get people from Arnhem who support Ajax, that have no connection with Amsterdam.

2 hours ago, Marr1 said:

This, I live in Dundee and the amount of people at my school who said they supported Celtic, Rangers or Liverpool, Man City or Chelsea is absurd. Those people are Fucking Embarrasments. If you look at the Netherlands or Poland, you don't get folk who say they support Borussia Dortmund or Bayern Munich and you don't get people from Arnhem who support Ajax, that have no connection with Amsterdam.

I really don't think this is true. We may suffer more from gloryhunters than most other countries but they're far from non-existent elsewhere. The only Polish guy I know who's into football supports Barcelona.

I was at the Cowdenbeath - Elgin game yesterday with my 2 kids, family gate only cost me £15. That's how to attract kids to football, well done Cowden.

That's right and it seems to be working. Although it's still school holidays I saw a few kids and families in the stand on Saturday. It's the right kind of incentive that needs the support of the whole footballing community to work towards a longer term sustainability for Scottish Football.

9 minutes ago, Velazquez Blue said:

That's right and it seems to be working. Although it's still school holidays I saw a few kids and families in the stand on Saturday. It's the right kind of incentive that needs the support of the whole footballing community to work to a longer term sustainability for Scottish Football.

We do seem to have a lot more young fans that we used to have and you see a lot of youngsters going about the town in their Cowden tops which in the past was as rare as rocking horse shit so we're doing something right.

16 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

Someone could correct me, but I don't think our average attendances have changed much over the past 20/30 years. Obviously the seasons where there's been a few bigger teams in the league there's been a spike, but it's always been around the same 400 die hards.

Tbh, I'm amazed they haven't dropped to Cowden, Stranraer numbers considering how we've done nothing in a decade.

These are the figures since 1994-95 when the 4-division set-up came in. As you say they've never varied much, in tier 4 it's always plus-or-minus 400.

1994-95 ... 589 (SFL1)
1995-96 ... 418 (SFL1)
1996-97 ... 456 (SFL1, relegated)
1997-98 ... 389
1998-99 ... 393
1999-00 ... 547 (promoted)
2000-01 ... 617 (SFL1)
2001-02 ... 509 (SFL1)
2002-03 ... 523 (SFL1)
2003-04 ... 521 (SFL1)
2004-05 ... 421 (SFL1, relegated)
2005-06 ... 472
2006-07 ... 565 (promoted)
2007-08 ... 479 (SFL1, relegated)
2008-09 ... 414
2009-10 ... 434
2010-11 ... 378
2011-12 ... 396
2012-13 ... 914 (Rangers in division)
2013-14 ... 468
2014-15 ... 466
2015-16 ... 461

£13 for an adult into Broadwood was a bit of a shock for myself. Charging concessions £8 is a joke as well, not sure if the club can change the pricing policy during a season but heard plenty of grumbles from our fans on Saturday regarding the prices so they might have got a few complaints over the weekend. Ideally it should be around £10/5 or capped at £12/6 across the division

Montrose brought 20-30 which didn't help out attendance as well - although I'd imagine our attendance at Forthbank next week will be pretty good as most of out fans that made Saturday's game will go through to Stirling as well.

Attendance on Saturday was piss poor - no doubt about it. Personally I think you could go as far back as the mismanagement of the club from the McBeth's and Alex Smiths of this world, who really gubbed any sustainable chance of a right good support when we moved to Cumbernauld through their unbelievable arrogance.

You then take that on to how the club was ran under Carmichael & even Len Maguire which put us in the position of knowing we were going to be heading towards bottom tier, having to leave within our means, and on the park would suffer. Common knowledge at the time, but still watching some of the players put on the park over that time, would have been 1 step too far for many.

I reckon we would only see a marked improvement in terms of crowds if we were to go up a league or two at Broadwood or if we were to move to an entirely new area of a size that has no current team like East Kilbride.

Attendance on Saturday was piss poor - no doubt about it. Personally I think you could go as far back as the mismanagement of the club from the McBeth's and Alex Smiths of this world, who really gubbed any sustainable chance of a right good support when we moved to Cumbernauld through their unbelievable arrogance.

You then take that on to how the club was ran under Carmichael & even Len Maguire which put us in the position of knowing we were going to be heading towards bottom tier, having to leave within our means, and on the park would suffer. Common knowledge at the time, but still watching some of the players put on the park over that time, would have been 1 step too far for many.

I reckon we would only see a marked improvement in terms of crowds if we were to go up a league or two at Broadwood or if we were to move to an entirely new area of a size that has no current team like East Kilbride.

And you think two year ago telling cumbernauld we are not interested in the you were off to East Kilbride helped endear ourselve to the local community ?

East Kilbride have a team in the lowland league with the potential to join the senior ranks

After the EK Clyde shambles I doubt East Kilbride is an option

Anyway we have a good team this year the play off games showed there is still a potential support there with the proper engagement /pricing etc
If we stay at the top end of the league playing the football that was on show on Saturday our crowds will improve

You missed out Ronnie McDonald who pulled the club up by its boot straps and showed what could be achieved.

On 06/08/2016 at 21:09, Lichtie78 said:

The problem for towns like Arbroath and Forfar is that a large chunk of United's support live in Angus. I'm 17 and a lot of the boys I went to school with loved football but had only ever been to one or two actual games in their lives because they "supported" Man United, Arsenal etc.

.....and, thanks to TV, they can all watch all their teams' games - without moving their arses off a barstool - and then kid on they know all about their club!

21 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

Our average for last season (18 home league fixtures) was 507. We had two 'bigger' clubs in the league in the shape of Ayr (882 and 1178) and Dunfermline (667 and 545). Ok, the Pars didn't make a huge difference, but these games were clearly better attended than the norm. Apart from that I would say our average would have been around 400, so it looks as if we have actually improved sightly on some recent years. For example, we had 400+ crowds for games against Stenny, Brechin, Forfar and Albion Rovers. Not maybe much to shout about, but better than the 250-300 we were getting 5-10 years ago. 

54 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

You missed out Ronnie McDonald who pulled the club up by its boot straps and showed what could be achieved.

Did I, or was I pointing out those who historically were responsible for us losing a healthy initial support or who put the club into administration?

I do agree we have a good looking team this year, but not so optimistic about fans returning.

20 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Is it not free for u16s anymore?

Just checked the club website. Yes, it should have been free for under-16s. I can assure you the guy I'm talking about sent his 2 kids (both definitely under 16) through the Concession gate, with a £20 note and joking that he wanted the £4 change as soon as they got through the turnstile. Either he was happy to pay the extra, or he didn't know Under 16s should have been free. 

Archived