The Irn Bru Cup Attendance Thread: Crowdwank and colts galore

lionel hutz

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

I'm not, the next match is away to Cowdenbeath & again is the night before the Hapoel match...plus it's on Premier Sports again. I'd only expect maybe the players families & local Celts to attend.

If they are going to justify the inclusion of the colt teams, a good following is going to be a necessity. The other clubs get little to no benefit otherwise.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

In comparison to what?

I suspect that that crowd is the largest Stirling uni have played to. Apologies if that is not the case. So I suppose on that basis it was a success. But for some this tournament is the worst creation of humanity!

11 minutes ago, edinabear said:

I suspect that that crowd is the largest Stirling uni have played to. Apologies if that is not the case. So I suppose on that basis it was a success. But for some this tournament is the worst creation of humanity!

It depends how success is measured. Stats can be made to say anything. SPFL will point to 300% increase in supporters watching Stirling Uni or any other non league team. 

McIntyre the Celtic Youth Coach say.... 

" We have argued for a long time on having a Colts Team in the League. You can see what it brings. 

There was a buzz about the Annan game. "

This p***k and the rest must be stopped. 

Bring back the Reserve League and leave the Lower Leagues and Challenge Cup alone. 

1 hour ago, shull said:

" We have argued for a long time on having a Colts Team in the League. You can see what it brings. 

Bring back the Reserve League and leave the Lower Leagues and Challenge Cup alone. 

Compared to some of their 1st team home games, he's probably right.

2 hours ago, shull said:

200 odd people at a totally one sided game. Great buzz, indeed.

b*****d. Was hoping for something more like 107.

Ach well, can't blame the Well fans for coming out in numbers to watch the big team.

Hopefully won't be nine years till the next meeting.

Fairly standard crowds for the club v club contests, with the exception of Brechin v Cove dipping well under 300... Do Cove have any no fans to speak of? Drew 190 against Dundee 'B' in R1 and

Despite the derby billing an utterly appalling crowd at Cliftonhill, which becomes the lowest-ever Challenge Cup attendance (AFAICS).

Unsurprisingly a low crowd for Aberdeen 'B' playing at "home" to Forfar. Elgin only drew half their league average but perhaps unsurprising against a 'B' team.

Impressive turn-out at Motherwell 'B'. Lower than I might have expected at Partick 'B' and Cowdenbeath (though in the latter case recalling Celtic's dreadful R1 crowd and TV - ok, PremierSports - coverage: maybe not!).

Aberdeen 'B' v Forfar - 221
Albion Rovers v Hamilton 'B' - 114
Brechin v Cove - 242
Cowdenbeath v Celtic 'B' - 449
Elgin v Hearts 'B' - 350
Motherwell 'B' v Airdrie - 1,009
Partick 'B' v Queen's Park - 436
Peterhead v Brora - 399
Stranraer v Spartans - 326

Over the initial 2 rounds I think it's now clear that, broadly speaking, considerably fewer fans are prepared to watch 'B' teams than actual clubs.

Probably a combination of lower actual club turn-outs and minimal 'B' team supports. Hard to suggest which is preponderant (perhaps both).

Celtic 'B' the only U20 team to make it through. All the non-leaguers eliminated, except Turriff play tomorrow. However, if they're joined by Rangers 'B' tomorrow night I imagine the authorities will be delighted.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Fairly standard crowds for the club v club contests, with the exception of Brechin v Cove dipping well under 300... Do Cove have any no fans to speak of?

Despite the derby billing an utterly appalling crowd at Cliftonhill, which sets an unenviable record as the lowest-ever Challenge Cup attendance involving an SPFL club (AFAICS).

Unsurprisingly a low crowd for Aberdeen 'B' playing at "home" to Forfar. Elgin only drew half their league average but perhaps unsurprising against a 'B' team.

Impressive turn-out at Motherwell 'B'. Lower than I might have expected at Partick 'B' and Cowdenbeath (though in the latter case recalling Celtic's dreadful R1 crowd and TV - ok, PremierSports - coverage: maybe not!).

Aberdeen 'B' v Forfar - 221
Albion Rovers v Hamilton 'B' - 142
Brechin v Cove - 242
Cowdenbeath v Celtic 'B' - 449
Elgin v Hearts 'B' - 350
Motherwell 'B' v Airdrie - 1,009
Partick 'B' v Queen's Park - 436
Peterhead v Brora - 399
Stranraer v Spartans - 326

Over the initial 2 rounds I think it's now clear that, broadly speaking, considerably fewer fans are prepared to watch 'B' teams than actual clubs.

Probably a combination of lower actual club turn-outs and minimal 'B' team supports. Hard to suggest which is preponderant (perhaps both).

Celtic 'B' the only U20 team to make it through. However, if they're joined by Rangers 'B' tomorrow night I imagine the authorities will be delighted.

Where are you getting the figures from? A Rovers fan tweeted it was 114.

Think hamilton had 3 people there tonight very very poor turnout from them. A lot of rovers regulars nowhere to be seen

there boys had couple chances rovers comfortable in the end
Even thought the crowd was 114 it actually looked more if that's possible if asked at the time I would have said 170

These cup changes were a ***** idea. Dreamed up to get old firm involved

After watching access I think the well of decent youngsters has dried up

Lucky to finish with 11 men wee right back ben reilly looked to try headbutt a rovers player during a handbags moment. Turned to the stand smirking only to be egged on by his dad or some relation

Don't know why they didn't just invite rest of the lowland league teams and Highland league teams in

And on what planet is rovers v hamilton a derby match lol don't think either really cares about the other never mind the under 20s

Archived