Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Broomhill Ultra

'Preventative' HIV drug

Recommended Posts

Does this pill come with any side effects?, seems OK saying it reduces the chance of infection by percentage but what side effects come from it?

Will I have an uncontrollable urge to wear women's knickers?, a strange desire to shag Vietnamese monkeys, a higher chance of getting colonic cancer or my knob will fall off because I have no sex drive after using it for a few years?

Any side effects?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to know more about Vietnamese monkeys before deciding on the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, welshbairn said:

We need to know more about Vietnamese monkeys before deciding on the issue.

f**k you lot, I'm off to the airport, if I get there first I get the pick of the good looking ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It boils down to cost effectiveness: will it save money targeting an intervention at a group, i.e. is it cheaper to try to prevent infection than treat it once it's established. It's a question for the health economists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'MSM' is supposed to be a neutral description of a group - there are men who would not identify as 'gay' or 'homosexual', but do have sex with other males.

(I'm a healthcare worker, so this kind of thing comes up a lot in policies...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cyclizine said:

It boils down to cost effectiveness: will it save money targeting an intervention at a group, i.e. is it cheaper to try to prevent infection than treat it once it's established. It's a question for the health economists.

I think the 13% chance of infection rules out any cost effectiveness I would think.

I would assume that 100% chance of infection should be the best prevention available and is way more cost effective if fools take the pill thinking "I'll fancy my chances because I have taken the drug."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cyclizine said:

'MSM' is supposed to be a neutral description of a group - there are men who would not identify as 'gay' or 'homosexual', but do have sex with other males.

(I'm a healthcare worker, so this kind of thing comes up a lot in policies...)

Haud the fuckin bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'MSM' is supposed to be a neutral description of a group - there are men who would not identify as 'gay' or 'homosexual', but do have sex with other males.




Any port in a storm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Bisexuality breaking new ground on P&B

what a world

Not necessarily, it may be the case of blokes biding their time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Maybe people are shagging so much that they are spending more than £100 a week on condoms?

 

 

Turn them inside out and use them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Bisexuality breaking new ground on P&B

what a world

Nothing new imo, male posters have been getting shafted on P&B all the time, just ask G-Spot ffs, he's been getting gang banged by Gail force winds and looks like he has been taking on every male on the site and is red raw from his experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Not necessarily, it may be the case of blokes biding their time.

Do you not mean serving their time?

Or maybe you're not referring to the "prisoners" post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will save money and lives in the long run. Compared to the vast amount of money the NHS spends on other preventable treatments it's a no brainer.

Some obvious barely contained homophobia on this thread too.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to agree with some of the above, it's a decision for health economists.

Is it more cost effective to prevent rather than treat?

If money wasn't an issue it would be a no brainer.

The fact is, from time to time everyone makes a mistake.

If that mistake leads to what is still a life sentence of taking a cocktail of drugs with a variety of side effects every day, then it is a huge price for an individual to pay.

As has also been said, there may be a monogamous relationship between a serodiscordant couple and even when consistently using contraception, over the course of several years there is a chance of a breakage or accident.

I would support it 100%, although I appreciate there isn't an endless pot of money for these things.

Edited by loyal-blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Romeo said:

Will save money and lives in the long run. Compared to the vast amount of money the NHS spends on other preventable treatments it's a no brainer.

Some obvious barely contained homophobia on this thread too.

 

Do you think every gay or bisexual man should be given £100 worth of drugs every week to make infection less likely if safe sex is not practised or goes wrong? What about sex workers and intravenous drug users? The cost could be colossal, and would inevitably come from within the NHS budget. If it's restricted to those with partners carrying HIV, then fair enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you think every gay or bisexual man should be given £100 worth of drugs every week to make infection less likely if safe sex is not practised or goes wrong? What about sex workers and intravenous drug users? The cost could be colossal, and would inevitably come from within the NHS budget. If it's restricted to those with partners carrying HIV, then fair enough.

Would every gay or bisexual man take them up on that offer?

I don't really see the difference between every woman having access to the pill and this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, loyal-blue said:

Would every gay or bisexual man take them up on that offer?

I don't really see the difference between every woman having access to the pill and this.

I don't think the pill costs £100 a week. In an ideal world etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...