'Preventative' HIV drug

If that impression is just from a BBC article it may be worth investigating a bit deeper. The case is calling for the distribution for those at the highest risk right now - which includes MSM, but particularly those with HIV+ partners, sex workers and others - it's not leading to some sort of free-for-all. The PROUD trials have shown impressive results and there should be work being undertaken to drive costs down and allow the mass production of medication like this. Ideally in the future this is treated the same way as contraceptive pills are, with no stigma and helping to drive down the rate of infection. 

All fair points bud, I shall do some more reading.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Maybe people are shagging so much that they are spending more than £100 a week on condoms?

Once went into boots and bought 100 condoms. "f**k me!" said the salesgirl so I said make that 101 then.

50 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What's wrong with poofs? It's hard to keep up at my age.

Gay and bi men have a higher risk of contracting HIV. Would appreciate not using homophobic language. 

14 minutes ago, Menzel said:

Gay and bi men have a higher risk of contracting HIV. Would appreciate not using homophobic language. 

Not in Africa. I find MSM more offensive and more wrongly used than poof tbh. And I'm talking as someone whose best friends are poofs, and who identify with that word. Cocksucker.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not in Africa. I find MSM more offensive and more wrongly used than poof tbh. And I'm talking as someone whose best friends are poofs, and who identify with that word. Cocksucker.

Oh the old 'I can use offensive language because I have friends who are ******' lie.

You're making an idiot of yourself but the good news is that it's not too late to stop.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Oh the old 'I can use offensive language because I have friends who are ******' lie.

You're making an idiot of yourself but the good news is that it's not too late to stop.

^^^MSM nonsense imo.

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You're right about the Africa thing, where according to a doctor pal HIV spread quicker among the heterosexual population due to some local sexual practices that aren't common elsewhere.

As regards the terminology, I've got a couple of pals and a close relative who bat for the all-boys' team who are quite comfortable using the word "poof" to self-identify - doesn't follow it's right for straight punters to bandy it about, much like it's not right to start dropping n-bombs around black pals just because they've used the word...

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We're not talking about Africa here, as I thought was clear from the article; and this 'poof' would appreciate you don't use that word again, thanks.

1 minute ago, Menzel said:

We're not talking about Africa here, as I thought was clear from the article; and this 'poof' would appreciate you don't use that word again, thanks.

Do you describe yourself as MSM? Could create a bit of confusion.

6 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

You're right about the Africa thing, where according to a doctor pal HIV spread quicker among the heterosexual population due to some local sexual practices that aren't common elsewhere.

As regards the terminology, I've got a couple of pals and a close relative who bat for the all-boys' team who are quite comfortable using the word "poof" to self-identify - doesn't follow it's right for straight punters to bandy it about, much like it's not right to start dropping n-bombs around black pals just because they've used the word...

Oh, they do that in Aberdeen as well.

5 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I agree with all of that. Menzil is so strict with correct labels though sometimes that I have to rebel.

MSM is not supposed to be a term of identification in this way, I was merely using it as a distinction as LGBT doesn't really fit in there as sex between women is not as high-risk in terms of HIV infection as homosexual sex between me. It's the term used by AVERT anyway, and I believe by PROUD. Not 100% sure what this has to do with me asking you to refrain from using homophobic language, regardless if some of your 'best friends' are LGBTQ or not.

Archived