'Preventative' HIV drug

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nature of the NHS means that there has to be a funding line.  Not an easy thing to decide, HIV isn't a death sentence anymore but in some communities (gay men in this case) it's very prevalent and despite the available treatments a serious illness.

ETA - Sad to say the fact that the target audience of this are men having unprotected sex with other men will probably influence decisions about it's funding.  People do risky things all the time and the NHS picks up the bill.  If I break my arm competing in judo  or catch crabs off a wee dirty, the NHS would pay for treatment.

People do risky things all the time and the NHS picks up the bill.  If I break my arm competing in judo  or catch crabs off a wee dirty, the NHS would pay for treatment.

Not all the time I don't think. I know of someone with a knackered hand that was fucked during an MMA fight. NHS won't fix it to the point he can compete again.

Could be an important help in preventing both the fear and a life-changing condition. I've been utterly terrified in the past when going for HIV tests, which I've had to do several times after formerly volunteering in the field of HIV/AIDS hospice care (it often needs done several times as it can lie undetected for up to six months, with often no symptoms for over a year and a half). I find the whole 'hedonistic lifestyle' argument to be similar to those from the Catholic church and others who argue that condoms also enable this. 

I'm a bit torn by this. On one hand, it drastically reduces the risk of HIV and the more weapons that you can utilise to prevent it the better. On the other, it's a lot of money and I'm concerned that, certainly among gay men, some may feel that taking this is a substitute for using a condom.

Quite incredible how far we have progressed though in treating HIV compared to just a couple decades ago.

A hundred pounds a week for something that is not needed if you practice safe sex seems a bit steep. Could you not just take a pill when you think you're up for something special, or do have to take them every day?

If that impression is just from a BBC article it may be worth investigating a bit deeper. The case is calling for the distribution for those at the highest risk right now - which includes MSM, but particularly those with HIV+ partners, sex workers and others - it's not leading to some sort of free-for-all. The PROUD trials have shown impressive results and there should be work being undertaken to drive costs down and allow the mass production of medication like this. Ideally in the future this is treated the same way as contraceptive pills are, with no stigma and helping to drive down the rate of infection. 

1 minute ago, Menzel said:

If that impression is just from a BBC article it may be worth investigating a bit deeper. The case is calling for the distribution for those at the highest risk right now - which includes MSM, but particularly those with HIV+ partners, sex workers and others - it's not leading to some sort of free-for-all. The PROUD trials have shown impressive results and there should be work being undertaken to drive costs down and allow the mass production of medication like this. Ideally in the future this is treated the same way as contraceptive pills are, with no stigma and helping to drive down the rate of infection. 

You would have thought at the induction this would have been highlighted and some sort of PPE recommended?

21 minutes ago, placidcasual345 said:

£100 a week to save mad shaggers the trouble of putting on a condom. Mental.

Maybe people are shagging so much that they are spending more than £100 a week on condoms?

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

You would have thought at the induction this would have been highlighted and some sort of PPE recommended?

In the BBC article, or in most of the research which has been done to this point? There's stuff on ALERT's site, for instance. 

5 minutes ago, Menzel said:

Shame we're not distributing them free in Africa to truck drivers and prostitutes. Typical the mainstream media getting first dibs.

Archived