• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we were best when playing the ball through midfield. Hitting the ball down the channels wasn't working as McDonald and Gormley were poor today.
The defence needs to speed up their passing along the back line if we are looking to exploit space created in midfield.
Two cracking goals. Up there with the best of Brazil.

Thought we were best when playing the ball through midfield. Hitting the ball down the channels wasn't working as McDonald and Gormley were poor today.
The defence needs to speed up their passing along the back line if we are looking to exploit space created in midfield.
Two cracking goals. Up there with the best of Brazil.

I thought the possession play across the back was superb. There were the usual halfwits in the crowd screaming for it to go forward, when what we were doing was probing away, forward and back. There must have been points where Montrose didn't touch the ball for 5 minutes.

Montrose were game as they normally are and you felt they were always going to get a goal at some point, even if we looked in total control when they did equalise. However, the period of play following that goal was extremely impressive and there is absolutely no doubt we deserved to win. Patient, incisive football and Montrose simply couldn't get out of their own half. We built up pressure from all over the pitch and ended up scoring the sort of goal that we'll see Flynn score a few times this season. Moments of real quality lit up what was a fairly average display; the smart free kick which set up Linton, the play just before half-time that saw MacDonald have a good chance, creating the space for Lowdon to fizz in the cross that was just deflected past. Playing against another goalkeeper and it would have been far more comfortable.

Defensively we were sloppy, at least in the first half. Oliver and Johnston didn't back each other up particularly well, whilst individual errors from McNiff, Easton and Lowdon almost cost us. Really comfortable on the ball though which gives us a good platform; how good was it to see us comfortably pass out the rest of the game rather than living on a knife edge. That said, Smith will hopefully we ready to come back in next week as we just need a bit more dominance in there, particularly against one of the better physical strikers in the league.

The midfield is going to be terrific to watch; Linton's intelligence and movement compliments Lowdon, whilst McNeil was my MotM. Scott McLaughlin continues to stand out, whilst Easton made the difference despite a partly frustrating performance. Flynn, who was excellent, Marsh and McGovern not even starting. The front two can do better but that's not me being overly critical; MacDonald could easily have had three goals, whilst Gormley is a lot sharper when he doesn't have to do as much running (a huge advantage of retaining possession). 

The great thing is that I bet BF isn't happy and even though I'm oozing enthusiasm and praise I'd fully concur with that. We'll play much better in other matches; we'll move the ball quicker more often, we'll defend more intelligently and we'll take more chances. Ultimately Gibson's genuinely superb early stop and Templeman's big miss prevented things from becoming a huge challenge. I see he says in the programme he wants another two players in; if they're anywhere near the quality of our other additions then we're in business.

Final negative point. SPFL site says a crowd of 445 which given the signings we've made and the fact we've done okay in pre-season is horrendous. That said, they also claim that Montrose had 9 shots on target, of which Gibson only saved one :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I thought the possession play across the back was superb. There were the usual halfwits in the crowd screaming for it to go forward, when what we were doing was probing away, forward and back. There must have been points where Montrose didn't touch the ball for 5 minutes.

Funnily enough, the exact same folk who moan when we punt the ball forward. I'm not sure how these people manage to find their way out of their front doors every week.

I could hear the usual idiots moaning about us keeping the ball and also I'm sure when the game was 0-0 someone shouted at BF for standing with his hand in his pockets :blink:

Hopefully the players don't here what these cretins shout as they are a complete embarrassment.

My point wasn't about passing it along the back line and holding on to possession. I have no issue with that. It was that play was too slow allowing the opposition to jog across the park and into position. A bit more pace on the ball would open up more space in midfield.

Brilliant to get the 3 points on the first day of the season, which is always a nervy affair. Templeman has always scored against us, he's a really good player IMO.

I wasn't there today but by the sounds of it we were far more threatening and creative going forward, if we can sort out the Wee mistakes at the back we will go far this year.

Onto Stirling away next week. Hopefully another 3 points but they'll be wanting to make up for today's result at Annan.

I've said this for ages, but I reckon it's about time some of us from the back go and sit around the tunnel area so we can start dealing with these idiots ourselves... We honestly have some of the worst fans ever!

I sit above the tunnel - actually the group there is fine. The shitgibbons sit over it the left of that, and the halfwits are behind ( in the upper part of the stand) again to the left.

Two or three lapses at the back aside we were very good today but still more to come too from this group of players. Fantastic save from Gibbo at 0-0 and shot wide all within the first 15 mins or so had me a bit concerned but once we found our feet we were in control of the match.

A simply stunning goal from Dylan to get us on the way. Truly stunning goal.

Montrose goal was very disappointing defensively. A decent ball in but should have been easily cleared. Misread completely by Oliver(?) and nodded home.

Straight from then we were back on the offensive and it looked a matter of time for us scoring again rather than if. The change to bring on Flynn gave us too much movement in the middle of the park for a Montrose team that hadn't seen a lot of the ball and looked leggy after the 70 minute mark. Another cracking goal to win it. Passing out from the back, lovely wee exchange of passes on the edge of the box and a composed finished.

Plenty to be happy about, still areas to improve on too.

No complaint - the better team won but it might have been different had Montrose not missed a couple of sitters in the first 20 minutes. I thought Clyde looked much better than last season, more running in the side and more movement off the ball with good spells of possession. I reckon the Mo will face worse sides than Clyde this season.

Goals win games though and the Mo must take their chances. They sat back too much in the second half - true they were under the cosh trying to hold it at 1-1 but even after Clyde's second goal we still saw Fraser defending deep in his own half. As a quick centre forward those tactics are plain stupid. He should be no further back than the halfway line taking two defenders back with him and chasing long balls punted down field by a defence under pressure. With nobody upfield except a somewhat immobile Templeman the long ball simply came straight back into our danger area. Need to re-assess our game plan me thinks. 

No complaint - the better team won but it might have been different had Montrose not missed a couple of sitters in the first 20 minutes. I thought Clyde looked much better than last season, more running in the side and more movement off the ball with good spells of possession. I reckon the Mo will face worse sides than Clyde this season.

Goals win games though and the Mo must take their chances. They sat back too much in the second half - true they were under the cosh trying to hold it at 1-1 but even after Clyde's second goal we still saw Fraser defending deep in his own half. As a quick centre forward those tactics are plain stupid. He should be no further back than the halfway line taking two defenders back with him and chasing long balls punted down field by a defence under pressure. With nobody upfield except a somewhat immobile Templeman the long ball simply came straight back into our danger area. Need to re-assess our game plan me thinks. 

You did have a couple of excellent chances first twenty five mins
But we could have scored twice in the first 5 mins
With right deliver templeman will score don't think Montrose will have much to worry about this year hegarty looks like he is doing a good job

2 hours ago, Günther said:

I've said this for ages, but I reckon it's about time some of us from the back go and sit around the tunnel area so we can start dealing with these idiots ourselves... We honestly have some of the worst fans ever!

Too true.

Agree with most of what has been said, 2 great goals and we do have match winners now which is great. Still loads of inconsistency during the game and getting Junior back in is vital. 

Opening game is always testing so delighted with win, obvious change in playing style and attempt to play from the back, the usual suspects around me don't like it but it's the way to go against opposition like today who have nine men behind the ball. Apart from his goal thought Flynn made a difference when he came on.

Can't help myself but still close my eyes on any cross ball into Gibson and Gormley's touch has not remarkably turned up during the summer but we seem to be stuck with this.

Good start well done 

Just watched the highlights there, really enjoyable. Montrose goalkeeper had an even better game than I thought at the time; a couple of those saves are absolute belters. 

Although Oliver will take some blame for the goal, there isn't anywhere near enough pressure on the crosser either. 

Archived