Motherwell @ Kilmarnock

32 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Shout out to Kilmarnock's number 24 for a succession of the worst throw-ins I have ever seen.

Was that who did the limp-wristed effort that led to our second goal? :)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can only agree. Narrows and shortens the pitch and then plays 2 wide players. ? Smith started at right back then swopped with Taylor ? Only looked decent in last 15 mins. with  three solid midfielders and Jones out wide . Martin Smith played ok when he came on . Boyle is a bombscare but at least we have 2 monster central defenders.

Jones has that nasty streak along with Mackenzie . Thought Hawkshaw had good game alongside Dicker before being taken to hospital but Lee Clark still an unknown quantity ??

Team constantly changed throughout game . Signed 11 players in one day but only 4 started ? What does that say about his ability to pick players ?

Everyone still confused with his selections and tactics , lets hope he gets it right before its too late . We knew the dangermen today but who scored ? the very same players you had highlighted to be watched !! Johnson and Ainsworth !!   

First half was a bit cagey both teams feeling each other out but I thought we looked more dangerous and so it was that we scored just before half time.  I saw a wee tiny dot far in the distance hit a even smaller dot over another dot so I'm looking forward to seeing what I'm told was a good goal.

Got off to a great start in the second, Cadden did really well and sent in a great cross for Johnson to header in.  After that I thought we were pretty comfortable and Ainsworth missed a golden chance to make it 3-0 and game over.

It's Motherwell of course and we've all seen it a million times.  With 10 minutes to go and coasting we decide to let Killie go the full length of the park without making a single challenge and what do you know its 2-1.  Then it was the all too familiar tale of sitting far too deep and causing some anxiety for the far end!  Could Killie have had a penalty?  They seemed to think so but being at the other end means I didn't get a great view.

Oh and Thomson was absolutely dire today.  A comedy show from the referee, surely he's due for retirement soon.

Ainsworth finish was just sublime.

Johnson just seems to keep getting better and is adding more and more to his game. Could barely header a ball when he first joined 18 months ago and today he's scoring a cracking header like that. Starting to score all sorts of goals now and is fast becoming a bit of an all rounder who can do a bit of everything. Chuck another 100k onto his price tag after that goal today.

Thought Heneghan, McManus and McHugh were all good and gave us a solid base to build on and Cadden caught the eye again. Don't think McDonald was fully fit and I'm still not entirely convinced by Samson but fair play to him for playing on with an injury though.

Deserved win but should have made it more comfortable with some of the chances we passed up, Ainsworth's in particular was an absolute shocker. Still, going away from home, missing our captain, last seasons top scorer and with a new team still gelling together any sort of 3 points has to be seen as a great result. 

Quite the "head knock" for McHugh. He's just stuck the photo up on his Twitter (it's in the spoiler below).

Plymouth fans still giving him grief.

Spoiler  

The fact he got booked for that seemed ridiculous.

What a game of football.

Blood, sweat, snotters, controversy and two committed teams having a real go, although got a wee bit fed up by the theatrics from some of the visitors.

Didn't think there was much between the teams for the first half hour,

Well ran the show before and after half time and all Killie for the last half an hour.

Thought Scott McDonald was excellent throughout and Sammy had is best ever game at Rugby Park (wouldn't you believe it}.

McHugh should I feel have been sent off for what seemed from my view a forearm smash on our player.

I accept he got hurt as well but it looked a horror challenge from where I was sitting (TV replays will show all one way or another}

Absolutely shocking performance from the ref,(how often do both sets of fans agree on this topic), and he should be embarrassed.

Loved Coubillay's response to Samson's outrageous challenge in the second half.

Felt he should have been cautioned but can only assume the ref let it go because he knew he's f****ed up by not giving a penalty.

As I said, great game, and 100% better than the start of last season.

6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Losing 4-0 or 2-1 is still a 100% failure rate of picking up zero points at home on opening day.

you wouldn't say that if you had been there last season mate.

I accept we got the same number of points but the overall performance was so much better and can hopefully improve further once the new guys settle in to Scottish football.

19 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

What a game of football.

Blood, sweat, snotters, controversy and two committed teams having a real go, although got a wee bit fed up by the theatrics from some of the visitors.

Didn't think there was much between the teams for the first half hour,

Well ran the show before and after half time and all Killie for the last half an hour.

Thought Scott McDonald was excellent throughout and Sammy had is best ever game at Rugby Park (wouldn't you believe it}.

McHugh should I feel have been sent off for what seemed from my view a forearm smash on our player.

I accept he got hurt as well but it looked a horror challenge from where I was sitting (TV replays will show all one way or another}

Absolutely shocking performance from the ref,(how often do both sets of fans agree on this topic), and he should be embarrassed.

Loved Coubillay's response to Samson's outrageous challenge in the second half.

Felt he should have been cautioned but can only assume the ref let it go because he knew he's f****ed up by not giving a penalty.

As I said, great game, and 100% better than the start of last season.

Forearm, fair enough if you think he stuck the head on him, but he never threw an arm.

From my point of view it was a clash of heads with the Motherwell player getting there slightly later so a foul was given.

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

Forearm, fair enough if you think he stuck the head on him, but he never threw an arm.

From my point of view it was a clash of heads with the Motherwell player getting there slightly later so a foul was given.

In all honesty at first the head clash looked liked a reckless challenge however my son now tells me it looked like the Well player was focused on the ball and just rather late. I don't think many(if any) players go out to injure others with the head as they are just as likely to injure themselves. 

Archived