Great Britain

Does the name need to be scrapped?

Whilst we are in this political union of erm equals, then surely our cousins over the Irish Sea (the north part) must feel left out.

UK surely is the term that should be used (yes I get the bit about UK of GB and NI), but let's just say UK. The term GB should really be made redundant as it's kinda pointless and not very great anymore.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Politically, I'd always call it the United Kingdom, but Great Britain is an island in the United Kingdom and exists. See no reason to make a big deal over someone saying British PM or whatever.

Great Britain is the geographical term for the island the majority of us are currently on.

It pre dates the nation of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Indeed Brittania goes back to Roman times and actually predates the country of Scotland.

What do you think we should call the island instead?

Great Britain is the geographical term for the island the majority of us are currently on.

It pre dates the nation of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Indeed Brittania goes back to Roman times and actually predates the country of Scotland.

Topical due to the Olympics starting soon. Whilst I understand the historical background, surely it should be UK.
Why not Team UK... currently sounds unfair to NI participants
Also May is the PM of UK
Plus the Anglo whoever negotiations are incorrect

1 hour ago, Lex said:

ABGB?

Most people outside the UK seem to call it this anyway. 

Yes. I remember at the last Olympics when Team GB??? won a good few golds. c. 25-30% of them were Scottish however they did a programme from Brazil previewing these games and the Brazilian guy just refered to team GB as England
Real shame.
Ironically Ireland only won 1 gold (Katy Taylor - Boxing) and it was a massive thing.
Just felt from a perception point Scotland was underwhelmed with the amount their athletes won. Difficult to celebrate when perception stated England

Archived