Dundee United v Queen of the South.....

Was at this one; would echo the "Queens better in the first half, Utd better in the second, draw was fair" opinions. 

Really impressed by Queens' pressing game in the first half; shame it fell away in the second, but that sort of tempo is impossible to maintain for 90. Dykes looks a good player, provided he's encouraged to run at defenders more often. Was also impressed by Marshall, Millar and Jacobs. Anderson won 90% of balls in the air, but did f**k all with the ball at his feet. Jamie Hamill. :lol: Deary me. Good to see he's not got any better at defending since he was with Hearts. Liability. 

Utd weren't great, but should still push Hibs for the title. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

Was at this one; would echo the "Queens better in the first half, Utd better in the second, draw was fair" opinions. 

Really impressed by Queens' pressing game in the first half; shame it fell away in the second, but that sort of tempo is impossible to maintain for 90. Dykes looks a good player, provided he's encouraged to run at defenders more often. Was also impressed by Marshall, Millar and Jacobs. Anderson won 90% of balls in the air, but did f**k all with the ball at his feet. Jamie Hamill. :lol: Deary me. Good to see he's not got any better at defending since he was with Hearts. Liability. 

Utd weren't great, but should still push Hibs for the title. 

Perceptive post. Means I agree with it, of course. My first look at this season's team. I liked the " now that's what I call blue" strip, as the guys took the field. Was my first visit to Tannadice too. Neat. Certainly much better than the dinosaurs' graveyard at the other end of the street.

I was very pleased with the way the team worked throughout. We made United look pretty much second best for the first half with a high energy pressing game. I didn't recognise Miller today and it wasn't just the hair; he was all over the place. Jacobs was terrific in the tackle in the middle and Dykes' powerful direct running will add a lot to our arsenal. Great reception for the Dobmeister from the fans. Bromance in the air...

Second half United upped their game and their goal was no surprise. Great bit of skill and finish. Would have taken a point happily after that with Hamill struggling to stop their winger fizzing balls across our box on a regular basis.

Feeling more positive about the season now.

Derry Rhumba still carrying on their role of obsessive neighbour.

Played shite for the first half, switched off and QOTS punished dodgy defending, Robson played well but really can't be helped by the Three D's (Dillo, Durnan, Donaldson)

First half, we played side to side, VdV was rotten, Flood still ran about like a bully trying to collect money as soon as possible.

Second half, we sprung into action, once we got the goal (and a fine goal too might I add), we started pressuring but still making silly mistakes, early doors but happy with a point.

TBS needs to get the cheque book out for a Striker and Defender.

Lee Robinson deserves an Oscar for his role of "My elbow is sore."

Well done queens, good effort today, great in the first half but tired in the second, part of the problem in the second half seemed to be the wide pitch which United used to their benefit. Dobbie didn't look to much like a member of the team today( but did try) I think a lot of queens supporters including myself had set there expectations of Dobbie to high, he has barely trained or played with the team. Glad Dykes has been given a contract extension looks like he could become a valuable player running at defences, van der Velden looks a class act and scored a great goal, think he will cause a lot of problems for opposition defences this season

Much better second half and we should have scored more.

Really? There's no question Utd were the better side in the second half but other than the goal Robinson only had two saves to make. And there was the sitter by one of your players as well of course. QoS were similar in the first in that we bossed the half but didn't really create many chances. A draw was absolutely fair though.

Anyway. Tannadice shits all over Dens Park. The stewards are far friendlier and helpful as well. Being able to stand if you wanted was something I've never experienced in a Dundee stadium before :lol:

I was really impressed with us today. Our pressing game in the first half was excellent. To come away from Tannadice with a point and a well won point was very impressive, especially after losing our captain so early. No failures today and we'll be in no danger of relegation if we continue in the same manner.

Dobbs looked off the pace as was mentioned, but that was to be expected. He'll be back soon enough. Great reception for and from him.

Fair play to the Utd gaffer (completely forgot his name) he obviously knew he was having no luck through the middle and Utd were visibly playing a wider game in the second, which could have harmed us more if not for poor distribution. The goal was an utter peach and I applauded it myself.

First time I've watched Murray 'live' and have to say he comes across as a complete tosser. Spent more time moaning at his team mates rather than look for the ball. Very lucky to have stayed on the park as well. He absolutely left a boot in on Robinson in the first half but Robinson's delayed reaction to it made it look like he was 'at it'.

In all honesty I hope when Utd visit us they are sitting comfortable at the top. And we are sitting 2nd :P

Good day out it must be said.

What a difference when we play a high pressing game in these tough away games. Players delivered a high tempo performance in first half and it was understandable that the legs went a bit in second half. Dominated first half without creating much but United upped their game and we rode our luck a bit but fully deserved our point. No failures but Hilson, Marshall, Dowie and Millar were immense today. Hamill never gave left winger a kick in first half but was taken to the cleaners second half and seemed to "sell himself" repeatedly. Hopefully Higgy's injury will not be too bad.

Great performance today overall and the players workrate and organisation was first class. Good positive tactics from Manager gets a big thumbs up!!!!!!

Really? There's no question Utd were the better side in the second half but other than the goal Robinson only had two saves to make.

I think a lot of Arabs will point to the chance Smith had, which I still don't know how it didn't go in, I was up celebrating. Minter.

Great performance today overall and the players workrate and organisation was first class. Good positive tactics from Manager gets a big thumbs up!!!!!!

Indeed. It's still very early days but Skelton's high pressing game and positive approach is certainly cause for big thumbs up from me. Nabbing Dobbie has almost given him a tenured position :lol:

Thats the Mark Millar we have been wanting/waiting for!!!. He was class. Thought Lyndon was excellent. It was his first game at this level so he'll only get better, just needs a bit more confidence, which will come.

Dobbie looked at bit rusty, but it should't take long to get his sharpness back.

van der Velden was quality for united, great goal and could be signing of the season(apart from Dobbie obviously)

Murray is a nob though, dirty bast@rd and was constantly moaning at his own team mates and the ref.

Good point away from home.

Thats the Mark Millar we have been wanting/waiting for!!!. He was class. Thought Lyndon was excellent. It was his first game at this level so he'll only get better, just needs a bit more confidence, which will come.

Dobbie looked at bit rusty, but it should't take long to get his sharpness back.

van der Velden was quality for united, great goal and could be signing of the season(apart from Dobbie obviously)

Murray is a nob though, dirty bast@rd and was constantly moaning at his own team mates and the ref.

Good point away from home.

Thought Mark Millar was brilliant today.

Not much to add to what others have said. We played really well first half but faded in the second and were hanging on a little towards the end. A draw was probably about the right result. Utd got in behind the Queens defence far too often second half but the final ball was awful.

Its easy to say with hindsight but had Dobbie started and been on the field when we were enjoying periods of possession and dominance it might have been a different scoreline.

Several standout performances today - Hamill, for the wrong reasons but Marshall, Jacobs, Millar and Hilson for the right ones. After being critical of Millar last weekend I thought he was outstanding today. Jacobs, too, put in a performance I dont think we've seen from him in a Queens shirt.

Dobbie was, understandably, a little subdued when he came on. He's clearly lacking match fitness and the fact that we conceeded so quickly and started to sit deeper didnt really help him get involved either. However, there was enough there to show he's still going to be a big player this season. His skinning of Dillon was fantastic!

Mixed experience of Tannadice though. The entrance for the away fans is a joke. Broken steps at an angle when you first go in then a 10-15 foot incline up to the stand. Several of our less mobile fans struggled with that. However, the stewards were fantastic. Offering help at the entrance and then being really accommodating at the end of the game to let us out the other end and avoid the slope.

17 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Not much to add to what others have said. We played really well first half but faded in the second and were hanging on a little towards the end. A draw was probably about the right result. Utd got in behind the Queens defence far too often second half but the final ball was awful.

Its easy to say with hindsight but had Dobbie started and been on the field when we were enjoying periods of possession and dominance it might have been a different scoreline.

Several standout performances today - Hamill, for the wrong reasons but Marshall, Jacobs, Millar and Hilson for the right ones. After being critical of Millar last weekend I thought he was outstanding today. Jacobs, too, put in a performance I dont think we've seen from him in a Queens shirt.

Dobbie was, understandably, a little subdued when he came on. He's clearly lacking match fitness and the fact that we conceeded so quickly and started to sit deeper didnt really help him get involved either. However, there was enough there to show he's still going to be a big player this season. His skinning of Dillon was fantastic!

Mixed experience of Tannadice though. The entrance for the away fans is a joke. Broken steps at an angle when you first go in then a 10-15 foot incline up to the stand. Several of our less mobile fans struggled with that. However, the stewards were fantastic. Offering help at the entrance and then being really accommodating at the end of the game to let us out the other end and avoid the slope.

I thought Hamill was decent first half but was given a torrid time in the 2nd. 

Marshall, Dowie and Millar were outstanding. What a shift Hilson put in and Dykes is raw but shows huge promise.

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Tbf, this is the first season that United have used the Shed as the sole away end.

Good turnout from your lot. Over 7000 for a United-Queens game is a great crowd.

Dillon was incredibly poor, Donaldson was also very disappointing; Nick van der Velden looks like a quality player, but on the whole it was a pretty shite performance.

Archived