Dundee United v Queen of the South.....

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Repeat of today's result, 2-0 United for a solid start to the campaign.

Assuming a full squad to choose from and no other signings, I'd go with:

Bell

Toshney Durnan Dillon Dixon

Flood Murdoch

VDV Fraser SmithC

Murray

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I can think of a good few Cup ties down the years, but when did the sides last meet in the League?

I'm guessing we'd need to go back to when we last graced the top flight more than half a century ago.

Probably. I know Utd have been out the top league since then but not being a stats man I don't know if we were in the second tier at the time!

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I can think of a good few Cup ties down the years, but when did the sides last meet in the League?

I'm guessing we'd need to go back to when we last graced the top flight more than half a century ago.

http://www.dufcarchive.co.uk/opponent.php?opp=50

Oldest match programme archived is from 1950!

2059.jpg

That's a good site.

It seems that we've met only sixteen times in the League, meaning we've only shared a division on eight occasions, with the last season being 1963/64, our last in the top flight.

I suppose the general narrative is that we ceased to be a half decent side, just as Dundee United became one, going on to become an excellent side for a while.

When the fixtures came out there was a feeling that although it was a tough opener, it was perhaps a good time to get a trip to Tannadice out of the way whilst the home side were still adapting to this division.  We were able to record an early season win against a newly relegated Hibs two season's back, and although we didn't really take advantage of their poor start St Mirren found life tough in this league last season after their relegation.

Judging by their Betfred Cup results however, I don't know if United will suffer the same fate, and this is looking like an extremely tough fixture.  Our own Betfred Cup results should give us cause for optimism though, despite the views of Rev. I M Monkey Tennis.

Hopefully Lyle just came off as a precaution on Saturday and is fit to play.  I'd put Hilson alongside him at the expense of Smith and bring both Tapping and Jacobs into the team instead of Millar and Pickard.  It's pretty likely we'll go for a 4-5-1 though given that's how we lined up away to Thistle.

Bell

Flood Murdoch

VDV Fraser SmithC

Murray

I'd go with that team but Robson and Souttar, over Dixon and Durnan

This will be 1-1. Our defence picks itself so midfield maybe tapping and Millar with dykes on the left and Anderson on the right. Up front probably Hilson and Lyle? I not really sure about up front but Lyle I think is probably our best striker.

Dale Hilson, no see him playing in years. Ex United boy, good to see what he's like now

11 minutes ago, powerhouse7 said:
8 hours ago, banana said:

Bell

Flood Murdoch

VDV Fraser SmithC

Murray

I'd go with that team but Robson and Souttar, over Dixon and Durnan

Fair dos, forgot about Souttar. Stick him in instead of Dillon.

23 minutes ago, powerhouse7 said:
4 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:
This will be 1-1. Our defence picks itself so midfield maybe tapping and Millar with dykes on the left and Anderson on the right. Up front probably Hilson and Lyle? I not really sure about up front but Lyle I think is probably our best striker.

Dale Hilson, no see him playing in years. Ex United boy, good to see what he's like now

Looks good. Missed a fair chunk of last season through injury.

Works really hard, good touch and skill on the ball but maybe needs to become a bit more clinical. He'll be a big player for us this season

Looks good. Missed a fair chunk of last season through injury.

Works really hard, good touch and skill on the ball but maybe needs to become a bit more clinical. He'll be a big player for us this season

sounds very similar to when he was at Forfar, wasn't clinical at all

Despite our defense still looking very suspect (Donaldson) I am full of early season optimism and am confident of a home win. So refreshing to see Flood and Van der Velden come looking for the ball to try to dictate play compared to last season with everyone hiding then a big punt down the field. The ginger Vardy to score.

Archived