Ayr United v Raith Rovers - Rivalry recommences

The squad isn't as strong as he squad that finished last season but i reckon it's a lot stronger than the one that started last season..

I'm not convinced. I'll need to wait and see how we do this month. There are a lot of new players I'm not sure about. I also missed Louis Longridge from that list. He did well for us towards the end of the season.

In defence, the loss of Toshney and McKeown takes away from what was a pretty solid defence who all knew each other's strengths and weaknesses,

On his day Barr (the one from Morton) is a good creative player. Not sure about the other additions yet. We're also missing Barr (perma-injured one) and Robertson.

Up front, Declan Manus looked good for Morton and should do well for us and be a 10-15 goal a season forward. He's better than a done John Daly and an ineffective Craig Wighton. Stewart showed in the past that he can form a partnership with Vaughan and hopefully McManus can too. I'd need to see more of Osei before commenting on him.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Certainly true up front, that's true.

My worry is that Locke get's wedded to that two winger 4-4-2 formation and Ayr setup similarly to how Alloa did. In that case the worst they'd get was a nil-nil, and more likely a win by a couple of goals. That might be harsh because there were a number of honking individual performances last Saturday, but we were getting nowhere with the shape Locke had us in.

Agreed. What terrified me was we made three subs and didn't even attempt to change away from 4-4-2 once, until we put Benedictus up front for the last couple of minutes.

Using Matthews as an unorthodox right midfielder in Dingwall shows Locke has some form of tactical nous. But based on the two home games, watching 4-4-2, two attacking wingers with nothing through the middle, with like-for-like unimaginative subs... It reminded me of Grant Murray's worst days.

Really hoping to see something different on Saturday.

Aye fans (and knowledgeable Rovers), a quick look at the away day guide suggests that most pubs are not at the ground but are in town. Is it just the bowling club at the ground or are there any other pubs close by? Is there a recognised away pub? We are coming in on the back of 12 train so are probably more looking for stadium proximity than quality!

Wisdom will be greatly appreciated! 

51 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Aye fans (and knowledgeable Rovers), a quick look at the away day guide suggests that most pubs are not at the ground but are in town. Is it just the bowling club at the ground or are there any other pubs close by? Is there a recognised away pub? We are coming in on the back of 12 train so are probably more looking for stadium proximity than quality!

Wisdom will be greatly appreciated! 

On 25 June 2016 at 11:10, callum-ayr said:

If you have time to go into Ayr then:

O'Briens (across from the train station)

Rabbies (just further down a bit)

'Twa Dugs (across from the Odeon)

Tam 'O Shanter (down the high street, bit small, but decent)

Black Bull (next to TK Max down the bottom of the town across the bridge, newly done up, decent prices and loads of Tv's)

River Cottage (where the supporters club goes from, it's ok, but better pubs, right across from the Black Bull)

Hawkhill Bowling Club (next to the ground)

My list in the away days guide, all the decent pubs in the town and near(ish) the ground. The towns a 5/10 minute walk to the ground and 2 minute taxi about £5 all in. Several other pubs in the town like the Market, matha dickies, Harry's bar, meridian, west Kirk etc, loads so you won't go short of pubs. Always the Prestwick option, get off there and loads in the Main Street and 5 minute taxi to Somerset.

I'm also contemplating attending the game. There's something great about the opening day of the season. There's still some expectation there that this could be the season we win the league.

This is just the type of game we need. The kind of game that will shatter any delusions our fans have.

Erm....what? :blink:

Maybe it's just me. Put it this way, I don't approach the season thinking 'this could be the season we finish 4th or 5th out of a 10 team league!'

Frankly, you have to have that hope that you'll win the league some day. Otherwise, what's the point?

30 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Maybe it's just me. Put it this way, I don't approach the season thinking 'this could be the season we finish 4th or 5th out of a 10 team league!'

Frankly, you have to have that hope that you'll win the league some day. Otherwise, what's the point?

I didn't think there was one?

I didn't think there was one?

The general point of sport is to try and improve on previous form and to win. Well, at least that's my take on it.

The Grant Murray years were about being shite, but slightly less shite than the other shite teams and finishing in the bottom half of the table. 6th/7th placed, comfortable mind-numbing inertia. If Gazza takes us back there I won't be pleased. I think I'd possibly rather have the relegation/promotion roller coaster between here and the seaside league. Ray McKinnon is to blame for peaking my interest again with that strong finish to last season.

At the moment I would predict Rovers not to be involved in either play-off, along with maybe Morton and Dunfermline, so if we have any chance of staying up we need to take points off of these teams at home.

With a relatively unchanged team and not losing any key players over the summer we will either get off to a flier or quickly find out the players aren't up to it. The cup games make it look like we are pretty solid with work to do with front players

4 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

My list in the away days guide, all the decent pubs in the town and near(ish) the ground. The towns a 5/10 minute walk to the ground and 2 minute taxi about £5 all in. Several other pubs in the town like the Market, matha dickies, Harry's bar, meridian, west Kirk etc, loads so you won't go short of pubs. Always the Prestwick option, get off there and loads in the Main Street and 5 minute taxi to Somerset.

Cheers mate, that's good to know, I appreciate the reply. 

Sorry for being a shit quiz master but of those pubs, any particularly 'football fan pubs' where we are likely not to be the only ones going to the game? And any with pool or darts or the likes?

Also, any Rovers fans, is there a pub people tend to frequent?

4 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Sorry for being a shit quiz master but of those pubs, any particularly 'football fan pubs' where we are likely not to be the only ones going to the game? And any with pool or darts or the likes?

Are you familiar with the Crown in Kinghorn?

38 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Rabbies has a few pool tables and a dart board, it's just down from the train station. Few of the boys a go with usually go in there at some point pre match. There's the 8ball pool club next to club de mar that you can go to, Ayr fan that owns that and he usually has Rovers fans going to his pubs as he's pally with some, they might post on here. 

Eta - if you like a whisky go to twa dugs, best whisky selection in the Shire with upto 100 different malts. 

Agreed. What terrified me was we made three subs and didn't even attempt to change away from 4-4-2 once, until we put Benedictus up front for the last couple of minutes.

Using Matthews as an unorthodox right midfielder in Dingwall shows Locke has some form of tactical nous. But based on the two home games, watching 4-4-2, two attacking wingers with nothing through the middle, with like-for-like unimaginative subs... It reminded me of Grant Murray's worst days.

Really hoping to see something different on Saturday.

Might have just been me but I could have sworn we went to a back 3 when Stewart came on for Mchattie. Thomson and Coustrain playing as wing backs.

19 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Rabbies has a few pool tables and a dart board, it's just down from the train station. Few of the boys a go with usually go in there at some point pre match. There's the 8ball pool club next to club de mar that you can go to, Ayr fan that owns that and he usually has Rovers fans going to his pubs as he's pally with some, they might post on here. 

Eta - if you like a whisky go to twa dugs, best whisky selection in the Shire with upto 100 different malts. 

That is quality mate. Much appreciated, cheers! 

Hopefully get you c***s pumped on Saturday now...

Archived