Ayr United v Raith Rovers - Rivalry recommences

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did I just read Davidson should be 'rested' for the first match of the season? :lol:

I'd be bringing Matthews back in, probably for Davidson, and dropping Barr or Johnston. Maybe even both. Coustrain was our best player by a distance on Saturday for the ten minutes he got at left wing before Locke moved our only threat to defence.

People seem to think McManus was OK on Saturday, was unconvinced myself. Whoever's playing alongside Vaughan needs to play as more of a striker than an attacking midfielder - that could be a management issue though. Wouldn't be averse to seeing Osei or Stewart start.

After Saturday though virtually anyone aside from Cuthbert, Benedictus and Thomson couldn't complain if they were dropped.

We usually lose to Ayr but ultimately finish above them. Don't see that being much different this year, starting Saturday...

Did I just read Davidson should be 'rested' for the first match of the season? :lol:

How else would you explain why he was blowing out his a*se for the full 90 mins...?

Either that or he's seriously let his fitness levels drop over the summer.

Your laughing at the way I've worded it, then went on to say that you would do exactly the same as me..? :lol:

And people saying that he's a defensive mid, that's why he never really ventures forward and his runs/ passes are always sideways? Then don't play him against a part time team from the league below.. We should not ( effectively) be playing a back 6 against Alloa.. At least Matthews( another defensive mid) knows what games he's not really needed to protect the back 4 the whole game, and he'll move forward a bit.

Davo is a better CB than he is a CM.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

How else would you explain why he was blowing out his a*se for the full 90 mins...?

Either that or he's seriously let his fitness levels drop over the summer.

Your laughing at the way I've worded it, then went on to say that you would do exactly the same as me..? :lol:

And people saying that he's a defensive mid, that's why he never really ventures forward and his runs/ passes are always sideways? Then don't play him against a part time team from the league below.. We should not ( effectively) be playing a back 6 against Alloa.. At least Matthews( another defensive mid) knows what games he's not really needed to protect the back 4 the whole game, and he'll move forward a bit.

Davo is a better CB than he is a CM.

Maybe you're more diplomatic than I am. I'd drop him for being shite on Saturday. It was just the thought of 'resting' a player at the start of the season that amused me, no malice meant.

People say he's better in defence when he's being played in midfield and that he's better in midfield when he's in defence. The reality is if a couple of players can get back from injury he shouldn't be playing in either position. 

24 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I'd take a draw. Who have Ayr signed over the summer?

In defence Meggatt from Dundee, and Rose from Aberdeen. In midfield, Cairney from Stranraer. Up front Thomas on loan from Burnley, O'Connell from somewhere in Ireland and Moore back on loan from Motherwell.

We are still 3/4 short, McCall previously stated we would have most of them in for the first game of the season.....

21 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I'd take a draw. Who have Ayr signed over the summer?

Darryl Meggat- Been very good in the cup games. Think he has a couple of MOTM awards already. Think he will be a very solid player for us. 

Paul Cairney- Bossed the two playoff games v us with Stranraer. Not done much as of yet for Ayr.

Michael Rose- not seem anything of him to judge. Wouldn't imagine he will be a starter though. 

Jordan Hart- Signed as back up for Greg Fleming. Was highly rated by Annan fans the past couple of seasons so happy to have him on board. 

Andy O'Connell- Not been too impressed with him as of yet but in fairness he is lacking in fitness and march sharpness. He's a big guy so offers us something to aim at. 

Craig Moore- Delighted with this seasons. Banged them in for us last season and I believe he scored something like 7 goals in 12 games for Cowden the last time in this division which for a team who didn't create much is v Dece. If we keep him fit he could be the difference in us staying up or going back down IMO. 

Jamie Thomas- Again not seen much of him but he must have something about him if Burnley are offering him a 3 year deal. 

Hopefully another 3 or 4 to follow. 

So potentially 2 ex-Killie players on show, an ex manager and Bobby Barr that always seem to play well against us? Hope there's a defib or two in the SRE, they'll be a fair few with steam coming out their ears on Sat.

Although hope Kevin Cuthbert gets a decent reception, done a tremendous job for us during our last season in the championship and seemed a pretty sound guy. Am I right in saying he was even our POTY that year?

So potentially 2 ex-Killie players on show, an ex manager and Bobby Barr that always seem to play well against us? Hope there's a defib or two in the SRE, they'll be a fair few with steam coming out their ears on Sat.

Although hope Kevin Cuthbert gets a decent reception, done a tremendous job for us during our last season in the championship and seemed a pretty sound guy. Am I right in saying he was even our POTY that year?

Cuthbert got Players' player of the year and Managers player of the year last year for us

Bobby Barr either goes in the huff and spends the game reacting to folk on the side terrace before getting subbed within the hour or, rips us to bits

More often than not, its the former. 

Decent first game for us, Rovers did well last year so should be a good test, hopefully Locke has had enough time to weave his magic with the Raith team and we win.

23 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

In an ideal world we'd have a CB, 2 wingers and a striker in for this one. I've heard a few rumours about players were reportedly after but how true they are or how close the deals are to be being completed I don't know. 

With two home cup games under your belt it would be fair to say that the oil has been changed at the van and the chips are safe to eat.

Bobby Barr either goes in the huff and spends the game reacting to folk on the side terrace before getting subbed within the hour or, rips us to bits

More often than not, its the former. 

Decent first game for us, Rovers did well last year so should be a good test, hopefully Locke has had enough time to weave his magic with the Raith team and we win.

We've lost a lot of the key players from last season over the summer: Toshney (POTY) went to Dundee United; McKeown the left back; Hardie went back to Rangers; Connolly went to York; Harry P went back to Leicester; Craigen went to Falkirk.

A lot of the goals, talent and creativity have gone. It remains to be seen whether they have been adequately replaced. For me, the likes of Hardie is irreplaceable and Toshney and Connolly will also be very hard to replace.

We've lost a lot of the key players from last season over the summer: Toshney (POTY) went to Dundee United; McKeown the left back; Hardie went back to Rangers; Connolly went to York; Harry P went back to Leicester; Craigen went to Falkirk.

A lot of the goals, talent and creativity have gone. It remains to be seen whether they have been adequately replaced. For me, the likes of Hardie is irreplaceable and Toshney and Connolly will also be very hard to replace.

The squad isn't as strong as he squad that finished last season but i reckon it's a lot stronger than the one that started last season..

13 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

The squad isn't as strong as he squad that finished last season but i reckon it's a lot stronger than the one that started last season..

Certainly true up front, that's true.

My worry is that Locke get's wedded to that two winger 4-4-2 formation and Ayr setup similarly to how Alloa did. In that case the worst they'd get was a nil-nil, and more likely a win by a couple of goals. That might be harsh because there were a number of honking individual performances last Saturday, but we were getting nowhere with the shape Locke had us in.

Archived