Star Trek or Star Wars?

banana

Poll  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Star Wars has a grit that Star Trek doesn't, in that it's a less pristine universe. But they are ultimately kiddy movies.

Star Trek on the other hand deals with some deeper themes, sometimes much darker. The storytelling is definitely variable, and things turn out just right for made up science reasons far too often (i.e. by the end of the episode), but when it gets it right it shits all over anything that Star Wars offers.

DS9 beat both though, and you fuckers need to check out The Expanse.

Star Trek for me. I enjoy about half of the Star Wars franchise (Eps IV onwards), and it is very, very good. But Star Trek has hit heights that Star Wars simply cannot. Take individual episodes of excellence - The Inner Light on TNG; In The Pale Moonlight on DS9 and many more - and the best of the Trek movies and you reach a quality that Star Wars never gets near. 

Star Trek's problem is one of volume. They made 25 seasons of shows in 17 years; that's hundreds of episodes, and many were poor. This, I think, clouds people against it. Voyager? Wow - what utter drivel. 

Voyager was utter horseshit, gave up on it when they brought in Jeri Ryan, clearly not there for her acting ability but for a couple of other reasons.

I've always thought of Roddenberry as a twat who got lucky and then milked it for all it was worth. A jaikie with wandering hands he wrote words for the theme to Star Trek that were never used solely so he would get half of the royalties of it.

Gene L Coon was the man for me behind the success of Star Trek and Meyer made the film series what it was and thankfully avoided casting Majel fucking Barrett.

Star Trek is the more iconic of the two mostly because of its part in breaking down racial divides. Not saying it did it all by itself but its vision and as Flipflops said breaking boundaries. Star Wars mostly furthered the technology we have for filmmaking and its groundbreaking effects.

For me personally "Far Beyond the Stars" is the greatest episode of Star Trek and its episodes like this that you would never see in Star Wars and its why Star Trek is the superior franchise

25 minutes ago, drs said:

I've always thought of Roddenberry as a twat who got lucky and then milked it for all it was worth. A jaikie with wandering hands he wrote words for the theme to Star Trek that were never used solely so he would get half of the royalties of it.

Gene L Coon was the man for me behind the success of Star Trek and Meyer made the film series what it was and thankfully avoided casting Majel fucking Barrett.

For me it was Ronald D Moore, he pushed the franchise in directions they would have never dared

Agree with most of what had been said. When Trek is bad it's awful (about half of the Original Series, Star Trek V, almost every episode of Voyager and the end of Enterprise) but when it's good (Star Trek II and VI, around half of TNG after season 2 - Best of Both Worlds, Yesterday's Enterprise, the Inner Light (you'd never get anything remotely like that in the Star Wars Universe), Chain of Command, Cause and Effect  - and some of the Dominion War stuff from DS9) it's fantastic. For such a long running series (there must be 700 odd episodes?) the only surprise is that it has so many good episodes. 

Having said that, most of the original trilogy of Star Wars is very good.

• 2 months later...

I've been re-watching the original Star Trek series with my boy, and it is actually a bit tough to watch compared to the later stuff. The episodes are 50 minutes long, rather than the now standard 44, and it sticks to a single story throughout. No side-plot to relieve what's happening. It makes the 50 minutes seem much longer. While I am enjoying it, I can't really watch 2 or 3 back to back like I could with TNG and the rest. 

That said, there's much to enjoy in it. There's a real humanity from Kirk/McCoy that doesn't shine in later series. Kirk has clearly been a bit of a tomcat, calls staff by nicknames and generally has a laugh with them. The stories are clearly reminiscent of WWII and the Cold War (the wee speech at the end of The Doomsday Machine, for example) and have a lot of depth.

Sadly, the episodes get worse as the series progresses. But, I am enjoying the re-watch.

Love them both. DS9 the best Star Trek and for me A New Hope , The Empire Strikes Back and The Force Awakens are the best Star Wars. 

Would put Babylon 5 alongside DS9 , the story arc was brilliant and The Shadows were excellent enemies. 

Honourable mention should go to the Battlestar Galactica remake. 

Archived