Prison

I was sure there was already a thread about this but I searched for prison, jail etc and got nothing so here we go.

Anyone from P+B ever spent time in prison?  A real prison not just wee stays in the cells over the weekend at your local police establishment.  I'm sure we will have some.  

I was originally planning to only bring you this story about prison http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36934612  but now that I've started a thread I will give you a wee story.  I believe this story to be true as it was given to me directly from the horses mouth but of course there could be an element of bullshit to it in terms of the final result but the lead up to event was true as I was in the persons company prior to the story end and knew of the various things that were happening.  This happened about 10 years ago:

This person has been in and out of prison for large portions of his adult life for things like assault, non payment of fines, theft etc etc.  Basically just a bit of a bam.  He was due at court for something driving related (had multiple bans/small sentences in the past for never having had a license) just before Christmas, lets say around 15th December or something like that.

Before this court date the particular guy was involved in an assault of which he was due another court date in January.  He confided in me that "I'm not spending another fucking Christmas in the jail" or words to that effect and that he was just going to ignore the driving date before Christmas and basically go on the run.  He is well known to police and stuff and had to deal with them chapping his door constantly due to having a warrant being out for him.

Anyway, January arrived and he prepared for the other court date and inevitable jail time.  To prepare for this the morning of the appearance he began to hide important stuff (drugs) on his person (anus).  A lot of stuff apparently. 

I was shocked to bump into him in the pub a couple of days later.  When I asked what had happened he said that he went into court and the normal processes started.  Court clerk (or judge) or whoever confirmed there was a warrant out for his arrest over the driving thing and then moved to deal with the assault.  The judge then said, either directly or via his lawyer, that he had decided to just merge the two cases together and handle them all in one go at a future court date.

This was all fine for the guy in question and he had been ready for him.

Then the judge gave him bail.

The rest of the story is questionable but apparently he began to argue this with the judge and say that he wouldn't come back and should be remanded - because in his words (when telling me in the pub not telling the judge this of course) that "packing stuff up was sore and taking it out was even worse and now he would need to unpack and then pack again in a couple of weeks".  The judge was having none of it though and gave him "one last chance" to turn up at court and confirmed it would be beneficial to his sentence if he could prove himself reliable by not missing the next court date.

He did make the next court date and got the jail.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got sent down twice for non payment of the Poll Tax, the 1st time wasn't in a real prison though, It was not long after the Strangeways prison riot, so because of the overcrowding they put us up in police cells for 2 weeks, I got sent to the Lake District, Ulverston, not that we had a view. I organized a hunger strike & we won our demands without missing a meal. 

The 2nd time was in Walton in Liverpool, now that was an eye opener. A lot of the inmates were mental health cases. I was only in for a week but it was a horrible place. 

G-Bo  

5 minutes ago, Grim O'Grady said:

I got sent down twice for non payment of the Poll Tax, the 1st time wasn't in a real prison thought, It was not long after the Strangeways prison riot, so because of the overcrowding they put us up in police cells for 2 weeks, I got sent to the Lake District, Ulverston, not that we had a view. I organized a hunger strike & we won our demands without missing a meal. 

The 2nd time was in Walton in Liverpool, now that was an eye opener. A lot of the inmates were mental health cases. I was only in for a week but it was a horrible place. 

G-Bo  

Pick up any good tips on things like insurance fraud or anything like that G-Spunk?

2 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Pick up any good tips on things like insurance fraud or anything like that G-Spunk?

Got some good contacts for putting out a contract DandyWank. 

G-Bo

14 minutes ago, Grim O'Grady said:

Got some good contacts for putting out a contract DandyWank. 

G-Bo

I'd assume though that these contacts were lost in the fire that cleared out all of your worldly posessions though Grimio?

25 minutes ago, Grim O'Grady said:

I got sent down twice for non payment of the Poll Tax, the 1st time wasn't in a real prison thought, It was not long after the Strangeways prison riot, so because of the overcrowding they put us up in police cells for 2 weeks, I got sent to the Lake District, Ulverston, not that we had a view. I organized a hunger strike & we won our demands without missing a meal. 

G-Bo  

Damn G-Bo you're lookin well after your fortnight enjoying the soviet seamen.

3 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I'd assume though that these contacts were lost in the fire that cleared out all of your worldly posessions though Grimio?

Nah, I keep them in the safe that's buried in the floor under the stairs in my English residence, oh and also on my mobile phone, handy little device eh. 

G-Bo 

Like your story Dindeleux, I cannot be 100% sure how true as was told to me by a friend at fives one night about six years ago.

A guy I went to school with went to America to go more into bodybuilding (was already a big lad), and worked in a gym for a while. The story was said that he got into some financial difficulty and started selling steroids on the side, and was duly caught. Ended up getting a year in prison, and when he came home/was deported, he was never the same.

Ended up killing himself a year after getting home.

Like your story Dindeleux, I cannot be 100% sure how true as was told to me by a friend at fives one night about six years ago.

Everything up to the actual court date was legitimate, can't speak for what happened on the day of court as I wasn't there.

Could well be a "Wesley Snipes in a lift" type story......as in I maybe knew the person was indeed going to America on holiday but no idea what actually happened when they got there.

2 minutes ago, Grim O'Grady said:

Shands, my bar bill was £790

G-Bo

ETA I failed to upload the pic ffs 

Good effort. I had one deep into three figures on Monday and that was meant to just be a quick bite to eat after work. 

A guy I went to school with went to America to go more into bodybuilding (was already a big lad), and worked in a gym for a while. The story was said that he got into some financial difficulty and started selling steroids on the side, and was duly caught. Ended up getting a year in prison, and when he came home/was deported, he was never the same.

Ended up killing himself a year after getting home.

Or do you mean you don't know how true your story is? Just re-read your post in a different way.

Or do you mean you don't know how true your story is? Just re-read your post in a different way.

Yes, I know he went to America and I know he sadly killed himself when he came home, but only going on what others told me about prison.

Prisons in east Asia, South America and Turkey seem particularly gruesome places to be - seen enough banged up abroad episodes to know to behave myself if I ever end up there!

Close relative of mine thought he would give his mate a hand in a fight he was losing. He took one kick. End of it all and the other guy was knocked out. They left him where he was and went off to the pub. It was a cold night, hypothermia set in and the guy never got up again. His one kick in the fight landed him with a murder conviction along with his mate who done the main damage. He got life sentence and spent 12 years in various nicks around the country.

It was interesting to say the least at some of the visits. Summertime in Perth and the place was full of half naked wifes and girlfriends getting groped under tables. Greenock had lots of minor scuffles mainly due to idiots trying to smuggle drugs in. If any of the visiting kids had old firm tops on then without fail their dads would be telling them not to mix with the "kafflick" or "proddy" kid wearing a different strip. Al Mehgrahi was in there and he had 2 or 3 cells knocked into 1 for himself. The biggest eye opener was Castle Huntley where the inmates were free to walk about the place with no fences or restrictions on them. Some of them had their own cars in the car park so they could use them at weekends for visits home.

Certainly not a place to be in for me anyway but I could see how it was probably a way of life for some folk in there that had no kind of life on the outside.

Archived