We Need to Talk About Angus

On 17/09/2016 at 11:26, relichtie said:

See this thread has degenerated into the usual mud slinging at each other by rival fans. There is another in the Fans Views thread on a similar topic. Worth a look.

Yep - shame a serious problem is being overlooked. It's time to step up the campaign. I see these guys were well ahead of the curve. Time to follow best practice.

10 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Yep - shame a serious problem is being overlooked. It's time to step up the campaign. I see these guys were well ahead of the curve. Time to follow best practice.

Dundee is not even in the county of Angus, just a small point

:unsure2:

If pedantry's being deployed... Dundee is in the county of Angus - previously known as Forfarshire. It isn't in the unitary authority of Angus - but that isn't a county.

Dundee was for a period its own 'city county'. Between 1975 and 1996 Angus and Dundee were, with Perth-Kinross, districts of the Tayside region.

If you want to put a football spin on it the Dundee clubs play in the Forfarshire Cup.

Edited by HibeeJibee

If pedantry's being deployed... Dundee is in the county of Angus - previously known as Forfarshire. It isn't in the unitary authority of Angus - but that isn't a county.

Dundee was for a period its own 'city county'. Between 1975 and 1996 Angus and Dundee were, with Perth-Kinross, districts of the Tayside region.

If you want to put a football spin on it the Dundee clubs play in the Forfarshire Cup.

Yup

Dundee isn't in the council area of Angus but it's in the county, well the old one, doesn't belong to a new one either, it's just Dundee City, a council area now.

So technically not wrong

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

St Johnstone also play in the Forfarshire Cup, are you suggesting Perth is in Angus too?

3 hours ago, theSilverFox said:

St Johnstone also play in the Forfarshire Cup, are you suggesting Perth is in Angus too?

No, that was only a supplementary point. In any case St Johnstone have only joined the Forfarshire Cup comparatively recently - for most of history they played in the Perthshire Cup (or in a separate tie against the Perthshire Cup winner, to avoid a series of gubbings, to decide Dewar Shield entry).

Similar situation with Alloa and Dumbaton in the Stirlingshire Cup.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

No, that was only a supplementary point. In any case St Johnstone have only joined the Forfarshire Cup comparatively recently - for most of history they played in the Perthshire Cup (or in a separate tie against the Perthshire Cup winner, to avoid a series of gubbings, to decide Dewar Shield entry).

Similar situation with Alloa and Dumbaton in the Stirlingshire Cup.

wait..what?  Are you suggesting Alloa and Dumbarton are in Angus too and should be merged with the Dundee teams?  I know Dumbarton are in the North but surely that's a step too far.

wait..what?  Are you suggesting Alloa and Dumbarton are in Angus too and should be merged with the Dundee teams?  I know Dumbarton are in the North but surely that's a step too far.

This amalgamated team is going to be immense! Ann Budge will be a happy chappy at these plans.
Sign me up, as long as the home ground is somewhere in Fife.

Arbmonforchin United has a certain ring to it maybe? Just think, if we merged a lot of clubs who are close together we could reduce the number of SPFL clubs considerably and maybe Berwick would then have to be in the Premier League 'cos there's nobody close enough for them to merge with unless they go the other way and merge with Blyth Spartans. Maybe Airdrie and Albion Rovers merger? Motherwell and Hamilton? Clyde and their good friends QP (well they used to be very close and obviously still get on well with each other!) Any more candidates? 

On 19/09/2016 at 21:31, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I see you even went to the bother of photoshopping a wee merge Angus logo. What a fucking saddo! :lol::lol:

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

We're thinking about this all too literally and geographically. Have to think outside the box. We could merge with Rangers, Brora, Cove, Cambuslang, Kilsyth, Kilwinning, Arniston and Tweedmouth to form the super-team Rangers United.

I see this thinking outside the box as an opportunity of Angus United getting shot of Brechin and having them , Elgin and Edinburgh (thus putting them out of their misery) forming a Shitty City outfit.