SPFL split . . . Is it time to revert back to a traditional league format?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, forever_blue said:

Not really related , but Actually felt a tad sorry for queen of the south the season us , hearts and hibs were all in the championship , they probably had their best team in years and would have won the championship in more "normal" circumstances 

How can you say that? Complete pish. One way or another you all deserved to be in that league, so it was just another season.

59 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

How can you say that? Complete pish. One way or another you all deserved to be in that league, so it was just another season.

I know we all deserved to be in it , I never claimed otherwise . At the time though it was exceptional circumstances , had anyone 5 years beforehand told you hearts , hibs and rangers would be in the first division you would have burst out laughing , all I am saying is that unfortunately for queen of the South it came at a time when they had their strongest team in years . 

After We were in division 3 , everyone knew we would one day be in the first division , I doubt many people predicted hibs and hearts would be joining us at the same time 

Just an opinion chief , no need to lose the heid 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've a certain sympathy with this view.

However, the set up is not unique to the Championship.  4th of 10 getting into a play-off is now quite long established in the bottom two tiers.

I didn't say it was unique to the championship. It's wrong in any league of ten. 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

You could also mention Dunfermline being stuck in league one for so long, deserved or not it affected other teams too.

1 hour ago, forever_blue said:

I know we all deserved to be in it , I never claimed otherwise . At the time though it was exceptional circumstances , had anyone 5 years beforehand told you hearts , hibs and rangers would be in the first division you would have burst out laughing , all I am saying is that unfortunately for queen of the South it came at a time when they had their strongest team in years . 

After We were in division 3 , everyone knew we would one day be in the first division , I doubt many people predicted hibs and hearts would be joining us at the same time 

Just an opinion chief , no need to lose the heid 

Who's to say the 3 other teams that could've been there in your places wouldn't have been better than you lot? Big teams does not necessarily mean better. As has been shown over the last few years.

38 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Who's to say the 3 other teams that could've been there in your places wouldn't have been better than you lot? Big teams does not necessarily mean better. As has been shown over the last few years.

Who knows maybe , all ifs and buts . As I said only an opinion I feel about the time 

5 hours ago, forever_blue said:

Not really related , but Actually felt a tad sorry for queen of the south the season us , hearts and hibs were all in the championship , they probably had their best team in years and would have won the championship in more "normal" circumstances 

If Rangers, Hearts and Hibs had all been in the Premiership, then 3 other Premiership teams would have been in the Championship to challenge them.

40 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If Rangers, Hearts and Hibs had all been in the Premiership, then 3 other Premiership teams would have been in the Championship to challenge them.

Would those premiership teams have been as strong ? Considering the hearts team in question ran away with the title before cementing a 3 rd place position in premier league upon their return , and the hibs team was essentially the foundations of their squad which would go onto make two domestic cup finals and break their scottish cup hoodoo the following season 

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Would they have been as strong as Hearts or Hibs?  Possibly not.  Would they have been as strong as Queen of the South?  Probably.

As I said just an opinion mate however simply being As strong as queens means that they would be more level therefor giving queen of the south the chance of being as strong as them therefor challenge them and potentially finish ahead of them , a chance I don't think they ever really had against the resources of hearts , hibs and even at the time a piss poor rangers 

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Don't think what F_B is saying is unreasonable, if a little patronising

Aye if it is coming across as patronising then I apologise , wasn't intended to but I stated it back around the time we were in the play offs with queen of the south aswell. 

13 minutes ago, forever_blue said:

Aye if it is coming across as patronising then I apologise , wasn't intended to but I stated it back around the time we were in the play offs with queen of the south aswell. 

There has been some good sides in the Championship/1st Division over the years Ayr Utd had a useful team about 10-15 years ago, the Clyde team from the early 00's, Falkirk, Airdrie, Dundee all had good sides during their different eras but didn't go up, its not a surprise to those who have been in that division. But in any case its good to see fans of the biggest clubs who would not normally take any notice waking up to the fact there are some good sides outside the top division.

What fb is saying, is for once, sensible enough. 

That was our strongest squad in a while, as evidenced by the destinations of so many of them when the season ended.  That season did coincide with a time when three of the country's five biggest clubs were in the division and they duly filled the top three spots.  This meant that challenging at the top was harder than might have been expected had three of the smaller top flight clubs been in the division, as might normally be expected. 

There's no injustice here - all the clubs in question were in the places they deserved to be.  However, the suggestion that Queens were a bit unlucky that their strongest side came together during such a period, is pretty straightforward.  A similar thing could probably be said of Falkirk last season, in that a Rangers that finally got its act together, was still in the Championship.

2 hours ago, CityDave said:

There has been some good sides in the Championship/1st Division over the years Ayr Utd had a useful team about 10-15 years ago, the Clyde team from the early 00's, Falkirk, Airdrie, Dundee all had good sides during their different eras but didn't go up, its not a surprise to those who have been in that division. But in any case its good to see fans of the biggest clubs who would not normally take any notice waking up to the fact there are some good sides outside the top division.

You're just kicking up a fuss because its a bear who posted it.

Archived