SPFL split . . . Is it time to revert back to a traditional league format?

Just now, hellbhoy said:

I feel the associations are giving chances to clubs that have not been good enough to merit a play off position of late. It may suit the club in 4th position but they could be as far off as 20 points or so from the club above them???

I'd even include a 4th play off position only as long as the club finished within that points difference to 2nd, I'd feel that would merit opening up an extra leg but only over a one legged tie with the club above taking home advantage.

Indeed.  I think the way the SPFL have marketed it is to say 'It gives more clubs something to play for'.  Which is fine, but there's a limit to that, and I feel 4th in a 10 team league is beyond that limit.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

Aye Benny, that's how Hibs went down a division. It favoured them to pair up with Hearts on the way down.

Oh.....Kay then.....

8 minutes ago, Rugster said:

There is just no way a league of only ten teams merits play offs to include the fourth placed team. It's just nonsensical.

Oh I wouldn't rule out the Cockwomble yet, the donkeymaster is more than capable of fucking things up far worse than they already are.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he decided to create a split in the Championship including 5th place into the play off promotion system and 6th place into the relegation play offs and then proclaiming every club has something to play for when the league fixtures have all been played. :blink:

Indeed.  I think the way the SPFL have marketed it is to say 'It gives more clubs something to play for'.  Which is fine, but there's a limit to that, and I feel 4th in a 10 team league is beyond that limit.

Stop calling the Premiership the 'SPFL' for a start.

Surely you haven't said SPFL . . . . . .

1 minute ago, hellbhoy said:

Oh I wouldn't rule out the Cockwomble yet, the donkeymaster is more than capable of fucking things up far worse than they already are.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he decided to create a split in the Championship including 5th place into the play off promotion system and 6th place into the relegation play offs and then proclaiming every club has something to play for when the league fixtures have all been played. :blink:

Your club has had both Eric Reilly and lawwell on the SPL/splf boards who came up with those ideas, Doncaster doesn't make those decisions....

23 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

You mean like Portugal?  Our second tier would still likely be better supported than that.  Morton v Livingston will get more fans than most of not all Second Division Portuguese matches.  Swap Livingston with St Mirren or Kilmarnock and you can guarantee that fact.

Can I ask what's so good about Portugal?  Perhaps the fact they have twice the population as Scotland but poorer attendances tells you something.  It's not as if its an exciting and competitive league, basically one of two teams wins ever year.

As for international success, the league structure has been integral in that?  Nothing to do with much better climate, poorer employment opportunities and more poverty, a dozen former African colonies to draw on + Brazil, a policy of handing out passports left, right and centre to anyone that wants one and most of their good players plying their wares outside Portugal in the four major European leagues? 

5 minutes ago, mart1 said:

There is no seperate governing body for the top league any more, SPFL means all 42 member clubs

11 minutes ago, bennett said:

Your club has had both Eric Reilly and lawwell on the SPL/splf boards who came up with those ideas, Doncaster doesn't make those decisions....

Cheers Benny, but I still wouldn't be at all surprised if such a calamity was unveiled. I still like to stick the boot into Cockwomble at any opportunity. :)

4 minutes ago, mart1 said:

Yeah. I know. Thanks for that.

Doesn't appear so. You do know that the same people that market and want for a better word promote the Premiership also cover the other three leagues, so Scarf is correct.

20 minutes ago, mart1 said:

:lol:

Just give up m8, you're having a minter here.

Doesn't appear so. You do know that the same people that market and want for a better word promote the Premiership also cover the other three leagues, so Scarf is correct.

Again, yeah I know. Thanks for that.

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

There is just no way a league of only ten teams merits play offs to include the fourth placed team. It's just nonsensical.

I've a certain sympathy with this view.

However, the set up is not unique to the Championship.  4th of 10 getting into a play-off is now quite long established in the bottom two tiers.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

It totally is (and Motherwell benefitted from it. Well that and the fact Rangers were hilariously bad) - but the important thing was to get the playoffs accepted as a principle and the only way to get that through the voting system was to appease the top tier clubs. In a couple of years (if we're not there already) when playoffs are well established and not politically possible to get rid of - then's the time to review the format. I'd be happy with anything that meant there was no advantage for the Premier team as by finishing 11th, they've done nothing to deserve one.

Yes, this is the point.  

In the SPL days of one up, one down, play-offs seemed like an unattainable target.  What exists now is pretty imperfect, but is very welcome.  Hopefully, it gets refined further.

Archived