SPFL split . . . Is it time to revert back to a traditional league format?

57 minutes ago, mart1 said:

Would the English premiership even contemplate in putting such a ridiculous structure in place. . . Don't think so!

If the English Premiership jumped off the bridge would we do that too?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could do 16 team leagues with an 8/8 split after 30 games. 

Teams could then play each other just once post-split, except their nearest rivals (in terms of league position, 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, etc) who they play both home and away immediately after the split. 

So 38 games for everyone, 4x old firm games for commercial deals, not too many meaningless games post-split, head-to-head excitement for title and Europe, not too much added unfairness/inequity, more variety in fixtures, blah, blah 

Fighting for what though? The chance to play your last 5 games against better teams and finish with less points than the team in 7th place. Ridiculous.

Bigger league please. Home and away once. This set up is so boring.

More money, exposure and a fighting chance of European football.

No surprise to see a fan of perennial bottom six side Partick struggling with that concept though

From experience the split creates drama towards the end of what for some fans might have been a pretty turgid season . 

Killie have been involved in quite a few and from memory when push comes to shove the fans will turn out in greater numbers to support their team in a time of crisis . I can remember the old first division when by March it was sometimes pretty clear cut who was going down and some games became exhibition matches or a chance to play some reserves .

I say keep the split 

Who 'aspires' to be top of the bottom six, pre split? Names and references please.

woulds the English Premiership split into a top 10 and bottom 10, if you give them enough money, of course they would. I'm fairly certain the bottom 4 would damn site like to play the other bottom six on the run in rather than the top 4. It's not a difficult situation to apprehend.

No team aspires to be in the bottom six. You have took my answer out of context. What excitement is there for clubs, players and supporters for bottom 6 teams? Lower crowd attendances. . .fact, less revenue from these poor attendances . . . . . There is a 200k difference of prizemoney from finishing 7th to 12th with the jump being approx 50k per position. Still not good enough in my opinion. More money to be had for clubs fighting it out at the bottom if they were going to Aberdeens, Celtics, Rangers, etc at the tail end of the season. Look at investing more teams into the league with a clear 3 down 3 up. Let's following the English strategy.

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

More money, exposure and a fighting chance of European football.

No surprise to see a fan of perennial bottom six side Partick struggling with that concept though

More money The distortion in the fixture list that the split produces is amplified by the increase in income of the top six sides. I'll give you that. Just highlights the iniquity of the system.

Exposure ?

Fighting chance of European football Can you identify which years this has been the case for the sixth place team at the time of the split?

The rest of your post is standard P&B level crap. Stick to the debate.

7 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Fighting chance of European football Can you identify which years this has been the case for the sixth place team at the time of the split?

2015/16 - Ross County (6th) were 1 point off 4th place at the split.

2014/15 - Dundee Utd (6th) were 5 points off 4th place at the split.

2013/14 - St Johnstone (6th) were 6 points off 4th place at the split.

2012/13 - Dundee Utd (6th) were 2 points off 4th place at the split.

2011/12 - Hearts (6th) were 2 points off 4th place (and 6 points off 3rd place) at the split.

2011/12 - Hearts (6th) were 2 points off 4th place (and 6 points off 3rd place) at the split.

Great for the top half. . . . .loads to fight for. How entertaining is the bottom, statto?

Great for the top half. . . . .loads to fight for. How entertaining is the bottom, statto?

The f**k does it matter? You'll never find a league system which is considered fair and keeps teams interested until the final week. Your argument is just pointless.

The f**k does it matter? You'll never find a league system which is considered fair and keeps teams interested until the final week. Your argument is just pointless.

Totally agree with you on the finding a league however in a league that has been tweaked twice over the last decade in terms of the split and the playoffs, the discussion is around is it better the way it is or without. It's all a debate.

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Thanks craigkillie. So, 5 times in 16 years. Not a great return. I wonder how many of these actually achieved European football.

Incidentally, in the same period, the club finishing 7th has finished the season with more points than 6th on 11 occasions.

7 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Thanks craigkillie. So, 5 times in 16 years. Not a great return. I wonder how many of these actually achieved European football.

Incidentally, in the same period, the club finishing 7th has finished the season with more points than 6th on 11 occasions.

You realise thats not the only five times its happened, but hes making the point about it happening EVERY TIME for the past five season. The whole "7th finished with more points than 6th" is shite aswell, of course they will, they played worse teams. Play better during the regular season and they won't finish 7th.

You realise thats not the only five times its happened, but hes making the point about it happening EVERY TIME for the past five season. The whole "7th finished with more points than 6th" is shite aswell, of course they will, they played worse teams. Play better during the regular season and they won't finish 7th.

And there it is Randomguy. . . The league structure currently is nonsense. You have clearly stated it in this answer alone.

I think the split is just fine.

People are going to have to accept that with the limited number of teams we have able to compete at the top level and the demands placed on our top league by having to accommodate the ugly sisters the arrangement we have at the moment is the best we're going to get.

It's a good reasonably competitive league and we should accept it for what it is.

1 hour ago, Arnold Layne said:

5 times in the last 5 years.  I couldn't be bothered going back any further than that because I thought my point had been made.

2 hours ago, mart1 said:

No team aspires to be in the bottom six. You have took my answer out of context. What excitement is there for clubs, players and supporters for bottom 6 teams? Lower crowd attendances. . .fact, less revenue from these poor attendances . . . . . There is a 200k difference of prizemoney from finishing 7th to 12th with the jump being approx 50k per position. Still not good enough in my opinion. More money to be had for clubs fighting it out at the bottom if they were going to Aberdeens, Celtics, Rangers, etc at the tail end of the season. Look at investing more teams into the league with a clear 3 down 3 up. Let's following the English strategy.

Do you have the figures to show that after the split, the attendances in the bottom six fall away and are generally poor. Remember the attendances have to be below the average attendance level for those clubs for that season to be regarded as poor?.

I would also mention that the top six after the split over the last few seasons has been less exciting than the bottom six. Title already decided, 2nd place decided, occasional battle for the final Euro spot and then the six place team just happy to be there and content to just make up the numbers. Where as there is a very nervous bottom six relegation and play off battle often between more than three clubs. Giving clubs something to play for gets supporters through the gate especially if the stakes are high and the excitement is there.

I don't see what the 'English strategy' would give us other than more meaningless games. 3 up 3 down is far too much for a twelve team league and won't help to develop young players in this country, it would introduce too much of a fear factor and managers are less likely to take a risk on young players. Plus there is more chance of teams putting more emphasis of not getting beat rather than actually going out to win games.

7 hours ago, Arnold Layne said:

Fighting for what though? The chance to play your last 5 games against better teams and finish with less points than the team in 7th place. Ridiculous.

Bigger league please. Home and away once. This set up is so boring.

Security of guaranteed safety with 5 games to go allowing you to start building for the next season with contracts and signing targets. If Thistle had been in the top 6 we'd also have had the choice to rest several of our more established players much earlier and they might have been able to be back much earlier ahead of this season.

Archived