Things you miss about childhood

DDcups

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Dukes of Hazzard on the telly Saturday tea-time. I realise you can watch episodes on Youtube but it's not the same. 

Just after World of Sport anchored by Dickie Davis and with the wrestling......ah happy days!

Sunday nights were always Tales of the unexpected followed by The Professionals........which much to my disgust, got sent to bed for :(

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I'd love that perception of time back that kids have. A day seemed a long, long time and the school holidays seemed to stretch out forever.

I had the day off on Monday just past and it seemed to be 5pm before I knew it, and as for a long holiday like Christmas - I seem to spend the first week getting used to being off, and the second week thinking:

"f**k, four days till I go back..."

"f**k, three days till I go back..."

Worse than that was big retailers, notably BHS would have big posters of grey flannels in the window saying "Back to school" before you'd even fucking finished for the summer.

I have been thinking about this thread since i saw it earlier and i dont think i miss much about being a child, despite them being great years i don't wish i was a child again even for a day. Perhaps being 18-21 for the novelty of partying or a bit younger in my latter years of high school but don't think i have given actual childhood much thought in the past decade.

20 hours ago, KingQuerrey said:

Stealing pallets and bits of wood and shite like that from building sites and making a den in the woods. 

Dens were for losers.  Stolen wood was for fires. Setting fire to the dry grass was good as well.

In simpler times plant equipment wasn't very secure on sites, breaking in to it was good fun.

Playing on the railway was good as well.  Found one of these on a disused stretch of track that used to go in to Inver House distillery.

images.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

In simpler times plant equipment wasn't very secure on sites, breaking in to it was good fun.

Playing on the railway was good as well.  Found one of these on a disused stretch of track that used to go in to Inver House distillery.

images.jpeg

Did you share my childhood? The bogey I found was on disused track between Shotts and Harthill.

Setting fire to the grass was a favourite. Shotts  greyhound stadium contained lots of straw and old petrol mowers and was ( allegedly ) very combustible:oops

Nothing much, apart from the simplicity and random games of street football with the 'hood kids in all weathers.

The freedom to finally do wtf you want, make all your own decisions, and be responsible for everything when you transition to adulthood is better than anything that childhood offers.

8 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

This. The greatest thing about being a kid was having literally no idea that economics even existed. 

^^^spoiled middle-class brat type post

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Dens were for losers.  Stolen wood was for fires. Setting fire to the dry grass was good as well.

16p for a box of matches that would give you a whole days worth of fun/arson.

Archived