The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done to Petershill who played well in the 2nd half.

We had 7 players unavailable yesterday but no excuses as we did not perform well in the second half. We were at the home of the holders (a ground that we have not won at for over 20 years) and we're still in the game at 0-1 with 5 minutes to go. So there were some positives.

It was good that McQuuen got 30 minutes and he is getting closer to a start - and game time for Jordan McCue and young Ben Fitzpatrick.

Carter, McCormick, Roan, McCluskey, Logan, and Febers will all be available for the Thorniewood game next week. Sweeney still out for 2 games.

So again well done to Petershill and all the best for the rest of the season and another thanks to our fans who turned up in numbers yesterday - hopefully see you all on Saturday

MTC

Looking forward to Saturday's game at JMcG. Will be good to get into the competitive home games at a REAL junior football ground. That sterile synthetic shitey shingle covered auld coonsil carpet was murder last Saturday. The ball must have earned plenty of air miles as it never stopped bouncing. All we need Saturday is a good crowd, gale force winds and torrential rain are a given, a solid performance and a nice wee win and the season will REALLY have started.
Home form can make a season and this is where and when it starts.
Mon the Candy!
MTC

Another enjoyable afternoon with Thorniewood running out 2-1 winners. On balance a fair result I suppose as we could have equalised but they had a well worked goal chalked off. There is still a feel of pre season around though and our success this season will be measured, not by this competition, but by our league campaign. Still time to pull it round before the league starts in ernest and next up Shettleston on Wednesday. I saw them earlier in pre season and they have some solid experienced players so it is likely to be another good test for the lads.

If the players are still fine tuning themselves then the fans are in fine fettle. Classic lines today were the ref being called a"Wee fkn creep" and their well coiffured somewhat squat left back having to repel the verbals as doubts about his physicality being suited to football we levelled. "He's a fkn hockey player" was the cry... I know that people have been known to hit balls with sticks in Garngad.. But hockey?

Match report tomorrow.

Mon the Candy!
MTC

I arrived at the JMcG and was met by a barrier across the gate. When a fellow inquisitor asked why it was there it was "tae stoap any Thorniewood fans driving their cars in". We could have done with they 2 Group4 Geriatric Garngad Gatemen to shore up our leaky defence as we gifted our visitors 2 soft goals and despite a really pleasing on the eye well worked reply in the first half, we lost for the second time in this league cup campaign. Good luck and well done to ThornyWid. We welcome another of my old teams Shettleston on Wednesday hoping for a fair wind and the discovery of our shooting boots. We are playing well at times and have a solid foundation but just because the Roch are Saints, that doesn't give you a Devine right to win... "And upon this Roch I will build my..." Goals make points and points make prizes.. What do points make?..... No Brucey bonus for us yesterday......

It all started so sweetly too as a twinkle toed Fellow FAN greeted my arrival on the dug oot terrace and tripped the light FANtastic to Ray Vaughn's FANcy Trancey Dancey Disco before the game. I don't think it was my arrival that caused it though....No FANcy footwork from us in midfield after 15 as an attempt to do a FANcy turn ended up in a FANny turn / hilarious step on the ball (think thin ginger elephant standing on a circus ball) but as it skidded away and set their guy through on goal we wouldn't forget it as he fired home for an against the run of play first. Unfortunate for big Paul who did well mostly. We were back in it quickly though and a great passing move. Our unBalancing Ball Boy did well and was involved... One Two and it's One One. Playing into the rising wind and rain till half time saw us puff away but not really threaten so we head for a break at 1-1 and I head for the players lounge to get my season ticket!

I find the "season ticket office" but the cashier isn't there. He has been running the line in the first half whilst eating a pie and talking to the lads beside me over the fence. No need to watch play when you can multi task!He takes me through high security checks and I enter the committee half time tea, pie and sandwich room and he unlocks the golden cash box and proceeds to write out the James McGrory Park Docket of Dreams...

"Name?"

"Kinky Afro"

"I'm no sure what number to give you so I'll give you 200 as we have sold about 70"

It didn't surprise me....Mr Pogba isn't the only Paul who will miss the first league game of the season though and I'm not sure I can get to them all but if you can support the club then I think you should. Cash in the bank gives you a solid foundation.....

Second half and our defensive foundation was less than solid as we mis a first header and allow a corner to bounce untouched right across the goal to an unmarked ThornyWiddedWan who taps in. The foundations almost gave way as during the next nervy ten minutes we weren't at the races and conceded a third to a fantastic move and whipped cross, only for the ref to save us and give an arguable offside. Refs get a lot of stick at this level and a bug bear of mine is the no linesman nonsense. It is hard enough when the ref has help but how he can look at the ball and look at the defenders as an attacker runs through.. ? And hope to get it right.. ? And be expected to get it right.. ? Well, it's beyond me. It wasn't beyond the Candy Man Fan in front of me (no stranger to the locals and I'm sure I'll get to know them all) who gave him pelters from his soap box. The ref was "listening too much tae that fat bstd number 5" and should "make yir ain decisions ya wee creep". The left back got pelters as well and he'll be wishing his Rizzle Kicks haircut was covering his ears. The joy of listening to a vocal football fan and especially at this level is that there is a little bit of truth to their insults and they speak for us all. They take a tiny incident and give it seismological importance. The slightest bad pass or a bad hair cut is used as the catalyst for a tirade of abuse and derision, usually to the great amusement and laughter of everyone concerned. I remember playing down south and being called a "Big Dirty Scotch C***" and I replied with.."Don't have a go at me cos I'm Scottish". If the fans involvement, interaction and humorous (legal) abuse is removed then the game will be less... I am glad to say that I have enjoyed the banter on the dug oot terrace so far and expect my £45 season ticket to be a solid investment in keeping me smiling and sane and providing the colour to the match canvas.

We spurned a myriad of chances and could have still be playing now and be a goal behind. Sometimes it just isn't your day. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was the Roch. When you buy new players and things change it can take a while for everyone to gel, get fit, free from suspensions and firing on all cylinders. We have the foundations bedding in and they are looking solid. Some good eye catching displays by Kieran and Brian and Rab Maguire who I thought was excellent. A great goal and a great display. Rest of the lads played ok mostly and well at times and poor at times. Such is the form of a Junior Pre Season. We haven't won a competitive game yet but on another day we could have taken one or two of our half dozen second half chances and got a draw or a win. A couple of great saves from their keeper as well as a couple of diving header and side fit sitters from us cast our fate. Junior football is like that though.. Play well and lose, play bad and win. I see the foundations of a solid, hard working, competitive and good passing team which will only get stronger. I suspect some teams will find themselves stuck between the Roch and a hard place soon.

We will keep building on Wednesday... If you're a neutral then come along.. You will be welcomed.....Bring more cement.

Mon the Candy!

MTC

The sun is shining and casting a warm summer breezed invitation to follow the lads at JMcG. Looking forward to tonight's tussle with Shettleston. I saw them earlier this pre season against Fauldhouse and they have some strong, mobile forwards and are a decent side throughout. It should be a cracking game.
Neutrals?? Champions League?? Come watch the CandyLeague. Come stand beside the dug oot and just listen!
Mon the Candy!
MTC

The Roch never got into the game and after a calamitous first goal we got out muscled and out-skilled at times in the second half and when we went 2-0 down it was no surprise. Shocking red card after a terrible loss of discipline. You could say it was frustration but the consensus on the terrace was it was just plain stupidity. Handbag nonsense after that with some Billy Big Baws posturing and some stupid off the ball shite from both teams. Poor ref had a mare but players need to take some responsibility for their own actions. If you are going to crunch someone do it in a well timed bone shaker of a tackle not just a silly hoof which was only ever going to end up with a red.

A couple of decent performances from the Roch but big number 9 for Town dominated and bullied us. He did the same when I saw him against Fauldhouse a few weeks ago and looks like a proper handful. Town also had a couple of decent turns and look a solid side.

I'll write a wee match report tomorrow and see if I can find some humour in what was a poor performance and a poor evening. I also fkd an alloy and tyre on they big bstd kerbs outside the ground... And walked into the pub and Celtic lost 2 goals before I even got served.... Still, things picked up and I'm home safe...... and you need to stick with your team so...

Mon the Candy!
MTC

I agree. We did some good passing before the goal but didn't really create much. We are a good team with a mix of old and young, strength and skill and some cracking players with a lot of experience. We should go close this year in our league and when we find the shooting boots......
Hope you enjoyed your trip to JMcG and come say hello next time!
MTC

I navigated a park path and parked in a bush then entered and paid £7.50 for "Wan an a hauf", my old man accompanying me for this final game before the real stuff starts with the opening league game next weekend, and headed huddled under brollies for shelter from the rain around an artificial turfed pathway leading to the ubiquitous sanctuary and Forum of the Football Fan.. The Pie Shop....

There we found a strong coffee and Bridie each and a good chat with the locals, one of whom was the diminutive South African proprietor of an award winning Greek restaurant located in the global culinary Mecca that is Bellshill. He would be Sucking on his Souvlaki as his team were Minging in the Rain whilst a Rampant Roch Reigned (3Rs) in the Rain. And whilst I talk about 3Rs, I came to lament "R3".... Rainy days and Saturdays always make me smile....

Was it 3 or 4? I had 3 and for me we scored after 3 minutes. 3+3=6 and a cracking well worked break with a slid across the 6 yard box ball rattled home by the Roch number 6 then before the blink of a rain spattered eye it was 2 then 3 then 4..... 4 before they even announced the winner of the "quid a go time of the first goal scratch card".. 4 ... The Candy Lollipop Man (more later..) has scratched 4.... I'm sitting on 3.... He's on 4 and the Roch are rolling with an easy 4 and solid performances from big Johnny and Bryson at the back, Logan and Musa are linking up well and the midfield firm of 3 solicitors "Sweeney, Dom and Daw Law" dished out some heavy sentences and harsh lessons to their drenched opponent defendants. Our full backs were never stretched in the first half and big Starkie only came to the fore in the second half with some good saves. 4 zip and it's half time.... 3 and Free, 4 and Forth... and whilst the majority were Free to head Forth in search of sukkah and sustenance with 3 or 4 sugars.. I'm looking for adjudication on the 3 or 4 scratch-gate scandal....

There's a shock.. Fkd again by a referee's poor decision who dictates we opened the scoring in the 4th minute. Robbed. R3. I resisted the opportunity to debate whether/ explain that 3 meant after 3 minutes (goal time 3 minutes 19secs) or whether it was the 4th minute... I knew arguing was pointless not just because they refs always do me over, but because of the Rainbow Smile hovering above and dancing from the radiant smile of The Candy Lollipop Man who, holding Willie Wonka's goal-den number 4 ticket, was on the good end of what was.. Let's be honest here... One of the worst refereeing decisions of this or any other season. With visions of MY £20 prize floating away on the wee river of rainwater outside the hut, I trudged back around the pish soaked path to the side of the pitch for the second half. I would comment here about the unusual "terracing" at Bellshill which consists of knocked off pallets from a local yard coated by off cuts from "Bellshill Carpets and Coverings, Flair for yer Flair". A carpeted terrace!! It would have been great had it not been saturated to the point of porridgeness. An excellent surface though which held up and allowed the game to go ahead with barely a bad tackle. The Candy continued in the second half and went 5 up after a calamitous own goal.. We then sat back which was inevitable and they flattered to deceive and although they scored 2 and missed a couple of chances, their last 5 mins and 2 goals in the rain never matched what was an 85 minute stroll in the shower for the impressive Candy who could and should have notched 6 or more. Stay strong and stay together lads. My £20 nemesis offered the Sweets of Peace and gave ma da a Willie Wonka's Stylee lollipop.. Did Wonka the Wanka forge him that 4mins ticket?? Let it drop big man and see the good....The Candy Man can cos he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good...... Even in the rain.

It is on now to the real business with the season goal being promotion. Not easy ever for anyone but if you don't give yourself targets then you are not focused on the future. An exciting season lies ahead I am sure and with a tremendous backing from the supporters, this team can go a long way. Stay together. I was happy too for the Gaffer who had told me to "wait till we really start playing". A victory the weekend before the league starts will give him as much of a boost as the players. Stay strong....

Some good CandyFan shouts again today and the poor guy with the flag in front of us got dog's abuse for one particular in or out decision he called wrongly. What must he have felt as he was barracked and berated by the baying Roch-ous crowd? Just as well his butler was standing beside him sharing his brolly!! Lollipop man also brought a tray of coffee's out to shouts of "haw darling can yay take ma order next?". Only bit of Bellshill Banter came from the hearing aided foul mouthed soaked soul beside me who welcomed their sub to the game, 5-0 down, with "a hope that's Fkn Roy ay the Rovers they've brought oan" You've got to love the black humour of a losing fan who still backs his team. Always back your team, you have to stick together...

It may have been pishing it down today and at times life can be pish. I heard today about one of the Roch's own who has undergone some serious surgery. I don't know the lad well but I know he is part of the Roch family and as such I wish him a speedy recovery. Life can be pish and don't I know it... But something else I do know.... To know there are people who care and are thinking about you and are on your side, be it just a "ye awright son?" or a more in depth friends chat, well that can mean the world. He's not alone. Everyone wishes him well and I wish him well with the promise that nothing stays the same forever and that there are better times ahead for us all. You are in our thoughts and despite what it fees like sometimes.. Hard as it is to believe... It doesn't rain forever...

Mon the Candy!
MTC

Archived