The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picking the Lok late on

A magnificent result for a gutsy Roch who kept going till the last minute and picked off the Lok to win an enjoyable pre season sun wind and shower kissed tussle by the odd goal in 5. A good crowd turned up to see last year's Scottish cup finalists line up against a resurgent Candy, a few faces missing, but striding on towards the new season with spirit and grit and good spells of passing and a pleasing to the eye style. I saw we are 5/1 favourites with McBookie to win the league and all the noises I hear seem to be positive. Nothing gets won pre season though but the Roch look ready to roll. Exciting times ahead I think. I hope.....

The players walked out each holding a balloon, behind a few local kids each carrying balloons. One giant football shaped balloon lead the line. They were released and started a minutes applause for a young lad who had passed away. The balloons flew high into the sky and on a gentle breeze headed over Parkhead way. Paradise seemed a suitably symbolic destination.....

It doesn't really matter that I didn't know the young lad because football gives you the ability and the right to show your respect and share in the memory. We all clapped and we all remembered our own loved ones as well. If you have ever been unfortunate enough to suffer the death of someone close, then to know that people care, even if it is just for a wee while, brings a comfort of sorts. I have and it did for me. The best way to pay tribute is to do what you always did....as life goes on. The Roch's display before and during the game today was a fitting football tribute I think.... They showed class (as did Pollok who joined in) then faught and battled for the whole game. Do what you always do and move on. They showed respect and pride in the jersey and that was what was called for today. Credit to you all....... Sometimes you can show you are more than just a football club.

The game itself was really enjoyable and it was good to see both teams trying to pass the ball on the deck. The Roch played some nice intricate passing football and indeed it was a sweeping cross field 6 man passing move that resulted in our 2nd goal via a soft penalty. They had already missed a penalty (again really soft) just before we scored ours. I think the rabbit in an headlight ref only gave us ours cos he made a rick giving their's. We had went ahead 10 mins earlier after a deflected 20 yard free kick wrong footed their keeper. Pollok looked good at times (I thought their 10 was outstanding) and their 9 was very mobile and their baldy number 4 centre half looked commanding after a "discussion" with the ref after the penalty. Funny how you sometimes get that pee'd off that you suddenly win every header and every tackle.. Good for us that he didn't really start till they were 2 down. Make no mistake, Pollok are a good side and showed their class at times however I think the Roch matched them for long periods which augurs well for the new season. Sweeney in midfield looked strong for us and we looked busy up top. A wonder goal from their good number 9 who struck a volleyed wind assisted belter from 40 yards which caught the Candy Keeper off his line and it was 2-1. They nearly levelled before the break and rattled the woodwork. Work hard and you often get out what you put in.. And we had and it earned us a 2-1 HT lead.

The second half was less eventful than the first and the Lok equalised after a free headed knock down from a corner was scrambled over the line. A poor goal to lose. Whilst the rest of the half was enjoyable, it was looking like both teams were content with a draw. The Roch made a coup of changes and tried to shake things up. Both subs were involved in the 90th minute as the wee one from Little Ant & Dec buzzed around their mis-clearing defenders and when it landed at the feet of sub number 2 he lashed it home from the edge of the box for a last minute winner. The big lad has just returned from injury and this goal will have given his confidence a huge boost as it was greeted by a whole team huddle to congratulate him and a fantasticly loud raucous cheering reaction from the sizeable home support who recognised not just the wholehearted effort, but welcomed a reward for hard work on a special day to remember. Remember you are part of something greater than the sum of the parts... the Roch means more and as this season progresses, and if you keep that in your heart, the prizes and rewards await.

Some good banter on the terrace today and I shared some good chats and laughs with a few Pollok lads standing by us near the Home dug out. The poor linesman was getting some stick though..... As he was a little behind play with a slow offside decision one wiseman cracked "hey you ya wee p***k, keep up wae play. You would have been if yay didnae huv that big Fkn watch weighin yay doon". Poor guy had what looked like an old Nokia 6310 on a strap on his wrist.. Great insult!! It is good to see that the Candy Crowd are fine tuning their banter for the new season!!

I loved the game today and it was good to see the Roch open the new player's lounge and put on a bouncy castle for the kids and provide a DJ and a tribute to wee Clinton. I enjoyed being there and being part of it. The result and the performance capped it off. All in all, a day that the club and a lot of people can be proud of...

Nothing stays the same forever..... We are all moving on... There are better times ahead.

Mon the Candy!
MTC

30 minutes ago, Kinky Afro said:

Picking the Lok late on

A magnificent result for a gutsy Roch who kept going till the last minute and picked off the Lok to win an enjoyable pre season sun wind and shower kissed tussle by the odd goal in 5. A good crowd turned up to see last year's Scottish cup finalists line up against a resurgent Candy, a few faces missing, but striding on towards the new season with spirit and grit and good spells of passing and a pleasing to the eye style. I saw we are 5/1 favourites with McBookie to win the league and all the noises I hear seem to be positive. Nothing gets won pre season though but the Roch look ready to roll. Exciting times ahead I think. I hope.....

The players walked out each holding a balloon, behind a few local kids each carrying balloons. One giant football shaped balloon lead the line. They were released and started a minutes applause for a young lad who had passed away. The balloons flew high into the sky and on a gentle breeze headed over Parkhead way. Paradise seemed a suitably symbolic destination.....

It doesn't really matter that I didn't know the young lad because football gives you the ability and the right to show your respect and share in the memory. We all clapped and we all remembered our own loved ones as well. If you have ever been unfortunate enough to suffer the death of someone close, then to know that people care, even if it is just for a wee while, brings a comfort of sorts. I have and it did for me. The best way to pay tribute is to do what you always did....as life goes on. The Roch's display before and during the game today was a fitting football tribute I think.... They showed class (as did Pollok who joined in) then faught and battled for the whole game. Do what you always do and move on. They showed respect and pride in the jersey and that was what was called for today. Credit to you all....... Sometimes you can show you are more than just a football club.

The game itself was really enjoyable and it was good to see both teams trying to pass the ball on the deck. The Roch played some nice intricate passing football and indeed it was a sweeping cross field 6 man passing move that resulted in our 2nd goal via a soft penalty. They had already missed a penalty (again really soft) just before we scored ours. I think the rabbit in an headlight ref only gave us ours cos he made a rick giving their's. We had went ahead 10 mins earlier after a deflected 20 yard free kick wrong footed their keeper. Pollok looked good at times (I thought their 10 was outstanding) and their 9 was very mobile and their baldy number 4 centre half looked commanding after a "discussion" with the ref after the penalty. Funny how you sometimes get that pee'd off that you suddenly win every header and every tackle.. Good for us that he didn't really start till they were 2 down. Make no mistake, Pollok are a good side and showed their class at times however I think the Roch matched them for long periods which augurs well for the new season. Sweeney in midfield looked strong for us and we looked busy up top. A wonder goal from their good number 9 who struck a volleyed wind assisted belter from 40 yards which caught the Candy Keeper off his line and it was 2-1. They nearly levelled before the break and rattled the woodwork. Work hard and you often get out what you put in.. And we had and it earned us a 2-1 HT lead.

The second half was less eventful than the first and the Lok equalised after a free headed knock down from a corner was scrambled over the line. A poor goal to lose. Whilst the rest of the half was enjoyable, it was looking like both teams were content with a draw. The Roch made a coup of changes and tried to shake things up. Both subs were involved in the 90th minute as the wee one from Little Ant & Dec buzzed around their mis-clearing defenders and when it landed at the feet of sub number 2 he lashed it home from the edge of the box for a last minute winner. The big lad has just returned from injury and this goal will have given his confidence a huge boost as it was greeted by a whole team huddle to congratulate him and a fantasticly loud raucous cheering reaction from the sizeable home support who recognised not just the wholehearted effort, but welcomed a reward for hard work on a special day to remember. Remember you are part of something greater than the sum of the parts... the Roch means more and as this season progresses, and if you keep that in your heart, the prizes and rewards await.

Some good banter on the terrace today and I shared some good chats and laughs with a few Pollok lads standing by us near the Home dug out. The poor linesman was getting some stick though..... As he was a little behind play with a slow offside decision one wiseman cracked "hey you ya wee p***k, keep up wae play. You would have been if yay didnae huv that big Fkn watch weighin yay doon". Poor guy had what looked like an old Nokia 6310 on a strap on his wrist.. Great insult!! It is good to see that the Candy Crowd are fine tuning their banter for the new season!!

I loved the game today and it was good to see the Roch open the new player's lounge and put on a bouncy castle for the kids and provide a DJ and a tribute to wee Clinton. I enjoyed being there and being part of it. The result and the performance capped it off. All in all, a day that the club and a lot of people can be proud of...

Nothing stays the same forever..... We are all moving on... There are better times ahead.

Mon the Candy!
MTC

Kinky are you ok for us to use your work for match report section for club website?

Great work by the way. Also thanks for choosing us as your "west team", 

Feel free. Also, the Roch are my team now, the Hoose are my East team!
MTC

Kinky Afro, free hauf and a pint for you on Saturday up at the Glasgow Life Petershill Park.

i'll be the guy with the Alsatian dug.

Naw hawd oan, nae dugs allowed on council property.

Except in the cat and dog home.

The Candy Men are almost ready to go over the top..... well, through the blind tunnel anyway, to take on our first competitive game of the season in the tongue in cheek labelled "Battle of the North". Pre season has gone well and we have brought in new faces who seem to have settled well and augmented an already solid side. The bookies are like dentists and are warning against the dangers of Candy. Too much for most to take and a few will be left with toothache this season I expect. But first, Petershill.....

I have a distant memory of the old Petershill ground from the early 80's. A Sunday afternoon charity game saw a full house and an Afro family outing. All was well on a typical Glasgow "taps aff" heatwave Sunday until Granny Afro went missing. A septuagenarian at best and as dodgy on her pins as a hung over full back getting ran ragged.. You can imagine we were worried. Tannoy announcements and the Boys in Blue couldn't locate her and we were getting worried until she turned up with a double nugget having left to go to the Wee ice cream van outside! Murder... But at least she made it back.......

And that's what we will be doing on Saturday. The Roch are rolling back again for another season and this time we are after the prizes and not a cone. It is going to be a long fight and there will be ups and downs along the way no doubt. Be strong and be determined. You get out what you put in and we have shown enough pre season to give us a favourites chance in the league... Who knows what will happen in the cups.? You must work hard though as without that you get nothing. The fans are behind you and will back you. 100% effort is your only commitment. Everything else will follow. Get ready to battle and let's go through that tunnel....together.

"Every blade of grass will glisten with morning dew,
The sun has yet to touch the sky,
A cloud of fog hovers above the ground.

People will gather to watch the fight,
Their faces with smiles plastered on them,
While others are thirsty for battle.

Our soldiers ready to lay everything on the line,
They have something worth fighting for,
Victory, only a short distance away.

Hearts racing, heavy breathing, sweat dripping,
As the masses wait for the signal,
The whistle blows, and the battle and another season begins."

Mon the Candy!
MTC

Looking forward to the game, we've had a decent pre season too but the real hard work starts tomorrow. I see from the SJFA website that Sweeney, Logan and McCluskey all sit out tomorrow due to suspension, we had 3 players rack up 12 games between them at the end of the season but they've all moved on over the summer so we have a full squad to pick from.
Guaranteed that Kieran Daw will score imo.

SSSSSSSSSSS.....After waking up like a kid on ChriStmaS morning I was Sad to See that Santa hadn't come. He muSt have been Sitting Supping Something Smooth Somewhere in the Sun whilst we Sat Shaking our heedS Staring at our Soaked Side Stumble and Stutter through thiS Sorry Start to the SeaSon.... SSSSSSSSSS premature to Say that'S the air hiSSSSSSSSing out of our balloon but we were Strangely flat for long periodS today. It Still had the feel of pre SeaSon about it and we did have a few miSSing but the truth iS we were well beaten by a better Side who only got out of Second gear for a half hour and Scored twice.

You can look too far into a defeat and See thingS that are not there. Some poSitiveS and Some good banter today though and a good afternoon Sat Sharing Stories with a Candy Legend.

SSSSooooo, a match report tomorrow with Some Special guest appearanceS.. Including world famouS DJ "Timmy Trumpet" who made a lone Drizzle Drenched Droning appearance over the far Side.. Like a down on hiS luck Rag and Bone man, hiS out of tune bugle rang out mirroring the Candy performance.... trying but not quite good enough and not quite hitting the mark.

SSSSSSSS......PATCH UP THAT PUNCTURE

MTC

Certainly didn't think it was easy in the first half, the Rock had plenty of possession without really troubling the keeper, while we only really made Starky pull off one really good save, low to his right from a Hardie shot.

We were better after the break and got an early lead, Starky can count himself very unlucky as he pulled off a great save from the first shot, but he could do nothing after the rebound fell at Finnigan's feet. Thought we controlled it pretty well after we got the opener, and the second came from a late penalty.

I would think given the players that were unavailable that Andy Cameron would take a lot of positives from the game, on today's showing I would think another good season lies ahead.

The candy played well in the 1st half then the second told a totally different story Thot the midfield were non existent in the second half the number 14 was absolutely shocking if a was the manager a would have had him off right away he took the number 10 of another that did not turn up for the second half as for the big 19 a Thot he was very lazy compared to the two peasy strikers Thot the roch defence was well drumed today in the 1st half the right back was poor in the second half over and out can't say much more well a can but 1st competitive game so Al rest on it just now over & out

Having never been to the Peasie ground for over 20 years, I approached past a derelict old college building (I'm sure I did a HND in there?) and entered the car park, a five flight stairway to heaven and the theatre of dreams on the hill, the start of competitive football and a long season stretching ahead. I was ready for it and looking forward to it. This wasn't the way I thought I would be coming in though and as I paid my £6 and entered through a very sports centre reception, strangely sterile for junior football I felt, I sat and likes at the starkness of the artificial surface and grey distance. Very like the old Grangemouth stadium of Falkirk and Warout at Glenrothes from my former life. A tidy wee stand and I sat beside the Candy YT who were toiling valiantly but ultimately in vain, to stick their varied assortment of flags to the stand wall with thin masking tape. There would be no masking the difference in the teams today though.....

We sat behind a fishing net and the few hardy fence side souls were told in no uncertain terms that they would have to move due to safety restrictions behind a randomly placed old traffic cone or the game couldn't start. Sticklers for safety these Peasie boys and as their Orange shirted and tracky wearing and Walkie Talkie Weilding fifty/sixty year old leisure attendants set off in search of the miscreants, I heard the "other side" of the Walkie Talkie guide one of the TOWIE.. Sorry... TOW..TP- The Orange Walkie Talkie Patrol (he never talked and he could barely walk) through the baying crowd of pensioners and kids and guys like me thankful the beautiful game was back as "thurs a guy it the back near the railing wae a dug"... He set off full of importance to right the wrong.. I didn't think the guy's girlfriend was THAT bad though.... As we settled down, in walked a former Candy legend and former team mate Jim O'Brien and we shared some cracking tales of old team mates like Andy Heaffy and John Logan and Steph McClure and John Gorman and reran all the tales and scandalous gossip that unites us football types, even though we hadn't talked for 25 years. It was just as well we could chat as the first half was a bit of a damp squib with both sides huffing and puffing and struggling to get anything going in the miserable overcast conditions. We had a few players missing and it showed I think and I am confident the Roch will be stronger and more of a threat when they can pick from a full squad. There wasn't any poor performances and at times we tried to play and did get round the outside and reach the byline. Other times though we couldn't find a man from a throw in. Cut backs never fell for us and the same could be said for the Peasie who had a few fluffed half chances. It probably says all you need to know about the first 45 mins when the highlight was a toot toot toot tuneless trumpeter who on 35 mins (I checked the watch as it was a highlight) brought a laugh and some light to the darkness with a 5 second burst. It wasn't "Reveille" unfortunately so no one woke up and we slumbered through in the gloom despite some crunching ball bursting tackles to a stalemate uneventful dank drizzling dire dross half time.

The second half was livelier and Peasie started to dominate and had a lot of the ball. The Roch were either sitting deep or penned back and so everything was heading our way and we couldn't get out and struggled in the worsening weather to put anything together. We gave away a soft free kick in a dangerous area and when it was whipped in to the back stick, a shot on target produced a wonder save which unfortunately fell at the feet of a Peasie Poacher who fired home. We then pushed forward more and made some ground and whilst we had some possession, we never really threatened. A late penalty for Peasie was stroked home before we probably played our best football in the final 5 minutes, forcing 4 consecutive corners culminating in a close headed just over the bar attempt bang on full time. 2-0 Peasie and you can't say it wasn't deserved. We did ok at times but only played after going behind. A rousing finish to give the fans something to shout about and we did.. The ref got one particularly impressive piece of stick when someone shouted "away you an fk off back tae Ibrox ya tadger" never heard anyone called a tadger for years and it made me smile.... at least I got something from the game. I spoke to a few fans afterwards and most held the pragmatism that I was missing and now after reflection can see. We didn't do great but we didn't do bad. We didn't get humped but we got beat. We can do better and I've seen us do better. No point in getting too hung up on it, I tend to feel down when when my team lose games we should have won against poor teams or if we don't try. None of those things applied to us. We move on and it is all part of the journey. the Candy- it's a way of life.... It might have been Easy for Peasie today but our lemon isn't squeezey'd yet.

I doubt if I meet any old team mates or fellow fans in a few years that we will discuss this game. I'm sure with time we will forget..... Timmy Trumpet and a cloud that floated by in the second half in the shape of an old man were the highlights along with a final fighting five minutes. One swallow doesn't make a summer so we should swallow this and move on. This wasn't really "the Battle of the North" but we live to fight another day and I am sure we will. There are many battles ahead I am sure... and a promotion war to be won. I'm confident the troops will be ready.

Mon the Candy!
MTC

Archived