The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memories Memories....

I'll be going along James McGrory Park on Saturday to watch The Candy play Pollok. One opposition fan commented earlier this week that it is the first time they have played here since the 93/94 season and I am sure I played in that game. We lost 2-0 and I think I might have been skipper......

Memories... Playing tricks with you and only remembering sporadic and intermittent good times. A young wee centre forward called "Doc" scored one of their's. It sticks in the mind as he had played a few games for us the season before or pre season that year (memory going again!) and also that I was marking him. As a tall and rugged centre half it wasn't my game to chase wee guys all over and I think the wee lad peeled off me and side footed home. I think I remember....memories...

"When I was young my heart and head were light,

And I was care free and feckless as a colt

Out in the fields, with morning in the may,

Wind on the grass, wings in the orchard bloom.

O thrilling sweet, my joy, when life was free

And all the paths led on from hawthorn-time

Across the carolling meadows through into June and the new season on the horizon..."

I have stood recently at that ground, with far more that I can remember ever being there before, watching the modern Roch, a team and club with her soul reborn, fight the good fight and embed itself in highlights into the community, itself showing signs of regeneration and improvement. One thing though remains constant and ties in from the wilderness years of my time clouded memory... And it is one thing that unites and bonds East and West, past and present, the then and now. The Spirit and togetherness and belonging and joy and despair and pride and strength that being a supporter of a club brings you should never be forgotten. Lest we forget.

For you share in a club's history and help form the stories and tales that will be told in the hours after the game right on and through to 23 years and more after a wee centre forward peels off you and taps in at the back stick. Football can unite and allow people and communities to prosper and raise their soul, be it my old team Fauldhouse in 1946 or soldiers playing during the cease fire of battle...and I am looking forward to being part of it with St Roch's and adding to it and sharing it and experiencing it this season and on.... I want to make more memories... Lest I forget....

Mon the Candy!
MTC

MTC️

Memories Memories....

I'll be going along James McGrory Park on Saturday to watch The Candy play Pollok. One opposition fan commented earlier this week that it is the first time they have played here since the 93/94 season and I am sure I played in that game. We lost 2-0 and I think I might have been skipper......

Memories... Playing tricks with you and only remembering sporadic and intermittent good times. A young wee centre forward called "Doc" scored one of their's. It sticks in the mind as he had played a few games for us the season before or pre season that year (memory going again!) and also that I was marking him. As a tall and rugged centre half it wasn't my game to chase wee guys all over and I think the wee lad peeled off me and side footed home. I think I remember....memories...

Across the carolling meadows through into June and the new season on the horizon..."

I have stood recently at that ground, with far more that I can remember ever being there before, watching the modern Roch, a team and club with her soul reborn, fight the good fight and embed itself in highlights into the community, itself showing signs of regeneration and improvement. One thing though remains constant and ties in from the wilderness years of my time clouded memory... And it is one thing that unites and bonds East and West, past and present, the then and now. The Spirit and togetherness and belonging and joy and despair and pride and strength that being a supporter of a club brings you should never be forgotten. Lest we forget.

For you share in a club's history and help form the stories and tales that will be told in the hours after the game right on and through to 23 years and more after a wee centre forward peels off you and taps in at the back stick. Football can unite and allow people and communities to prosper and raise their soul, be it my old team Fauldhouse in 1946 or soldiers playing during the cease fire of battle...and I am looking forward to being part of it with St Roch's and adding to it and sharing it and experiencing it this season and on.... I want to make more memories... Lest I forget....

Mon the Candy!
MTC

MTC️

5799fa43266b2_ImageUploadedByPieBovril14

7 minutes ago, hareskirky said:

You no the guy who i used to enjoy on the fauldhoose thread? 

Swearing his undying love for them week in week out for a few years now it's the candy?? What's that all about sir? 

How can you do that?  

Don't get it!

Like it.

Bit of banter to get it going.

Followed by, is he an ex Fauldhouse committee man?

Btw, where exactly is Fauldhouse?

I went once to Fauldhouse.

Never again.

You no the guy who i used to enjoy on the fauldhoose thread? 

Swearing his undying love for them week in week out for a few years now it's the candy?? What's that all about sir? 

How can you do that?  

Don't get it!

Tis me, one and the same. I am glad you enjoyed reading about my times following the Hoose. I went home and away for 5 years and it was where I lived, my wee village team and what a ride we went on from the south division via back to back promotions to the Superleague. Last season we stayed up on goal difference by 1 with the last kick of a 2-0 win at St Andrews on the last day of the season. I loved my time there and believe you should follow your local team if you can....

I have moved west and whilst I will always think fondly of the Hoose, (I met up with the lads at Shettleston on Tuesday night) they will not be my team this year as I won't be there. I tend to comment on what I see and form my own opinions.. You can't "support" a team and comment if you aren't there. I am going to follow the Roch, a team I have a history with and an area close to where I grew up and where I live now. And if we draw the Hoose in the Scottish??? I know who I'll support.

I think you can do that with junior football...... I'm sure I can. I hope you continue to check in here and follow the Candy Capers. I took in a game at the end last season and a few pre season already. There looks like a lot of characters and interesting types amongst the supporters and with a decent team hoping to challenge I am sure the iPhone will be tapped plenty.

Mon the Candy!

As an ex player of the club just want to say what a great job everyone is doing at the club. The whole place seems to have a real buzz about it and i always look out for them and hope they do well! They have signed some really good players and have alot of good people at the club. I will always look back at my time with fond memories and its great to see what they are doing for the local community. Alot of great characters still there either playing, on the commitee or watching from the sides from my time there and i wish yous all the best a great club and 1 i will always follow closely keep up the good work lads and also my thoughts and prayers with ted and his family as they deal with there terrible loss a man who i had a great relationship with whilst at the club.

Dak

What i say is how can you come across as die hard hoose making out they are the be all and end all them come out with the same sort of stuff for a different team a short time later. 

Can't get my head around it many won't.  All the best to you though. 

Maybe football doesn't do to you what it does to me?? If you follow a team and embrace it fully you are part of what is does and you can describe how that makes you feel. Thats all I did and do. I often went to other games and wrote about the game and players and what was going on as a neutral. You can if you are there.... You can't if you aren't. I think if you kiss the badge and mean it, (and I doubt anyone can question that I did) when you move on you can wrap that up and store it fondly as a life event and look forward to the future. I don't take a single word back and meant it all. I was able to take more from my time there than a lot of people will ever be able understand. I am used to people not getting me anyway mate!!
MTC

Never wrote anything I didn't believe in 100%. It's just what I feel at the time and football can make different people feel different things about the same event. Doesn't mean you were lying when you can move on. I don't live in the Hoose now so would be impossible to feel the same as I did.....unless you lived there through what I did then you won't get it.. and that is fine. It's on to the Roch now...as the great John Peel once said.... "I just want to hear something different now"

6 hours ago, Kinky Afro said:

Memories Memories....

Mon the Candy!
MTC

MTC️

That's an interesting change you've made there,KA.

Having spent the last 6 year with kinky traveling all over Scotland. St rochs are a lucky team to have a great supporter who will give his all to Ure club. We may not have always agreed with each other all the time but it is because we are both passionate about football but wouldn't change the last 6 year. To the St rochs supporters make a point of asking at the game who he is because he has a good heart honest sometimes a bit to honest but that's because he cares.

All - see below tribute to Kinky Afro from this weekends match programme....his final post....edited of course due to the fact it was about 10 pages long!

All the best mate

Derek Sharp

FUFC Chairman

“Embrace life’s challenges and enjoy the exhilaration of success”

Paul Watson (aka Mr Pie and Bovril)

Leaving the good wine till the last! In the closing stages of the run in we’ve

accumulated 16 points out of a possible 18. We now need three points and to win

by two clear goals to avoid dropping down a league going into the game away

to St Andrews. We have the three points in the bag, leading 1-0. Thanks to Mark

Aitken. Then a 35 yard free kick in our favour and Gary Shanks hits the bar but the

rebound finds the ever alert Jordan Love to head home the golden goal for the

precious number two to secure the three points. Time 89 minutes.

That’s how close we were to relegation! One goal and with only sixty seconds

remaining! After 30 games it came down to the wire. When Lady Luck lands

in your lap in the last minute of the last game of the season and keeps us up,

welcome her with open arms.

There’s no need to visit Alton Towers or Blackpool Pleasure Beach for a roller

coaster ride. Follow United, and you’re guaranteed despair and excitement, all in

the one afternoon. Some may say we were lucky on that last day, but you have to

work hard to allow yourself to be lucky. The great golfer Arnold Palmer once said

“It’s funny , the harder I practice the luckier I get”. And now we live to embrace

and relish the challenge of another season in the Super League and through the

clubs resolve and determination we deserve to be there.

(Adapted from the thoughts of Paul W, by Albert Mancini)

He came, he saw, he conquered! And now Paul returns to his native

Glasgow having experienced country life and five seasons of unpredictable,

exciting weekends faithfully following the fortunes of FUFC. Our loss is the

gain of St Roch’s FC. Your presence around the dugouts and the infamous

“Coo Shed” with your bunch of “merry men” will be sadly missed. It was a

blast! We wish you every success in your new journey Paul.

Bon voyage from all at the Hoose!.

PW.jpg

The Roch are 2-1 up at home against Pollok after an incident packed first half which saw 2 soft penalties (one scored one fluffed), a deflected free kick opener and a 40 yard super strike. Good game in front of a good crowd. 45 to go.
A very touching moment at kick off as both teams and a few local kids let off balloons and started a minutes applause for young Clinton Pringle who passed away. Fly high son.....

I'd have put the crowd at about 250 plus about 50+ wains.

Hard to judge a pre season friendly.

St Roch's would give most teams a game at Provanmill but i'd expect Pollok to really open up had this been say, the Scottish Cup.

Two weeks ago Beith won 1-0 at Provanmill so the Candy are holding they're own for a club from two leagues below.

Interesting that the Pollok manager had big family connections with the Candy and the local area going way back.

Archived