The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know what happened that it didn't post the pictures?? I'll sort it next week. I am following the Annbank up the M77 today as I have been in Ayrshire during the school holidays. It's a lovely day down here but hopefully that's the only sun that shines on them today. Looking forward to seeing us back in action and hopefully keep the good run going. See you there.
MTC[emoji172][emoji460][emoji106]

If a change is as good as a break then a break is nothing without some normality. Like a thirsty fish in the desert the hour long drive back from the land of Burns in the search for Calming Candy Rehydration Waters was a compulsion to save me. 4 days on the Ayrshire coast with the family and 4 days on the late night lash with my Auld man had almost finished me and saw my dad cry off, returning to his after breakfast bed to sleep off the Guinness. Drinking Guinness outwith St Paddy's day is new to me but a homage to my grandad and his Dublin roots. He was born on John Dillon Street, a drunken stagger home from Temple Bar, a missed bus walk away from the Guinness brewery and on the road to Kilmainham Gaol. Despite the famous emblem it was Two Can't rather than Toucan so I made the trip myself in search of Goals not Gaols.

It was a beautiful morning in Ayrshire, Sun Kissed and Smiling Skies Simultaneously Stimulating Spirits and the Soul. I was looking forward to a Football special day. Ayr is full of footballers this weekend as the famous Ayr Tournament is in full swing. Irish and English accents abound and their hopes are as mine despite the geography and almost 40 years. A win makes the world a better place and I set of in search of mine and some sanctuary and salvation. After years of absence, when "Dark despair around benights me", Football is becoming my oxygen again.

For an important cup tie this initially had the feel of an end of season game of no importance. The crowd had unsurprisingly shrunk from the Larky 700 to about 70, a tenth of the crowd and a tenth of the excitement. There were Sighs under the Sunshine Skies as a Scrappy first 15 mins saw Annbank hold their own with some good neat nippy quick feet from the number 6 and some good link up play at times from the visitors. The Candy then came back into it and started to get on top. After the scrappy start a scrappy opening goal was about right and cries of Get Carter went unanswered as big Johnny "fired" in a 3 yard fumbled fluffed first goal shinner. The first 20 was poor sloppy shoddy sun then it picked up after the goal as the Candy settled and started to play. Kieron Daw was pushed forward and did well, Stephen Bryson settled in well at centre half to continue his good form and John Sweeney was sauntering through the game and playing nutmeg bingo as he ticked off the 6 and 7 with a laugh. It was a stroll in the sun and the writing was on the wall when Logie found the target after a great touch, turn and smash into the roof of the net. At 2-0 the tie was over for me and we coasted through to the break before (having rehydrated and pacified my Candy Craving) I made my excuses and left at half time. I thought that for a young team, Annbank did well. Someone told me there were a few Ayr United Under 20's in the team and whether that was true or not I don't know but I do know was that they had ability and most were trying to do the right things and had ability. I wish them well. The truth is, from what I saw in the first 45, the Candy were more experienced and better. Sometimes that is just the way football is and you should never try to make excuses. I think they were an honest team who were going to come up short. Credit to the Candy who confirmed my opinions when I read the final score line on Twitter. 2 things caused me slight concern and that was our apparent compulsion to give away silly free kicks in bad areas. The last thing you want to do when you are on top is give a team any hope.. none.. nothing... never. We can defend properly which just annoys me even more, but perhaps it was the sun or the fact we were so on top or the fact that I am just a moany bugger?? Probably the latter I know but when you get done by your own stupidity it does rankle with me. The other thing that worries me was the risk to the Annbank left back from the sun. Sporting a bouncy curly ginger Rizzle Kicks hair cut I just hope he had the factor 50 covering his porcelain and freckled face and neck. You wouldn't want anything bad to happen to the poor lad. I suspect he ended up beetroot necked with eyes like a red and white panda.

A 30 minute hold up on the M8 heading back and I passed a broken down car in the middle of the carriageway surrounded by cones and a police car and ambulance just reminding you there are worse things that can happen and to count your blessings. I came back to Ayrshire having done a little bit of business and taken in a fraught and nervous 2nd half at St Mirren. I returned to My Ayrshire Fancy "For to see her was to love her,
Love but her, and love for ever." and despite the loss of my own sweet Nancy I am a lucky man. I thank the big man every day.. and when you are a big man?? Well.... you soak it up and go with it. If you live and love then when you love life... well it isn't easy but it is a love indeed. The Candy are flying and we march on to the next round and a huge game against Pollok. It is a measure of where we are, but this is a journey. Like life and love, this isn't as good as it gets for any of us and if you believe that, then the possibilities are wonderful. The Candy have got us here and it has been a wondrous few months for me. What is the final destination though?? The good thing is we are fighting on all fronts and what could be more worthy and more important than fighting for the ones you love??

"Thine be ilka joy and treasure,
Peace, enjoyment, love, and pleasure!"

Mon the Candy!
MTC[emoji172][emoji460][emoji106]

On 9 April 2017 at 16:14, Kinky Afro said:

If a change is as good as a break then a break is nothing without some normality. Like a thirsty fish in the desert the hour long drive back from the land of Burns in the search for Calming Candy Rehydration Waters was a compulsion to save me. 4 days on the Ayrshire coast with the family and 4 days on the late night lash with my Auld man had almost finished me and saw my dad cry off, returning to his after breakfast bed to sleep off the Guinness. Drinking Guinness outwith St Paddy's day is new to me but a homage to my grandad and his Dublin roots. He was born on John Dillon Street, a drunken stagger home from Temple Bar, a missed bus walk away from the Guinness brewery and on the road to Kilmainham Gaol. Despite the famous emblem it was Two Can't rather than Toucan so I made the trip myself in search of Goals not Gaols.

It was a beautiful morning in Ayrshire, Sun Kissed and Smiling Skies Simultaneously Stimulating Spirits and the Soul. I was looking forward to a Football special day. Ayr is full of footballers this weekend as the famous Ayr Tournament is in full swing. Irish and English accents abound and their hopes are as mine despite the geography and almost 40 years. A win makes the world a better place and I set of in search of mine and some sanctuary and salvation. After years of absence, when "Dark despair around benights me", Football is becoming my oxygen again.

For an important cup tie this initially had the feel of an end of season game of no importance. The crowd had unsurprisingly shrunk from the Larky 700 to about 70, a tenth of the crowd and a tenth of the excitement. There were Sighs under the Sunshine Skies as a Scrappy first 15 mins saw Annbank hold their own with some good neat nippy quick feet from the number 6 and some good link up play at times from the visitors. The Candy then came back into it and started to get on top. After the scrappy start a scrappy opening goal was about right and cries of Get Carter went unanswered as big Johnny "fired" in a 3 yard fumbled fluffed first goal shinner. The first 20 was poor sloppy shoddy sun then it picked up after the goal as the Candy settled and started to play. Kieron Daw was pushed forward and did well, Stephen Bryson settled in well at centre half to continue his good form and John Sweeney was sauntering through the game and playing nutmeg bingo as he ticked off the 6 and 7 with a laugh. It was a stroll in the sun and the writing was on the wall when Logie found the target after a great touch, turn and smash into the roof of the net. At 2-0 the tie was over for me and we coasted through to the break before (having rehydrated and pacified my Candy Craving) I made my excuses and left at half time. I thought that for a young team, Annbank did well. Someone told me there were a few Ayr United Under 20's in the team and whether that was true or not I don't know but I do know was that they had ability and most were trying to do the right things and had ability. I wish them well. The truth is, from what I saw in the first 45, the Candy were more experienced and better. Sometimes that is just the way football is and you should never try to make excuses. I think they were an honest team who were going to come up short. Credit to the Candy who confirmed my opinions when I read the final score line on Twitter. 2 things caused me slight concern and that was our apparent compulsion to give away silly free kicks in bad areas. The last thing you want to do when you are on top is give a team any hope.. none.. nothing... never. We can defend properly which just annoys me even more, but perhaps it was the sun or the fact we were so on top or the fact that I am just a moany bugger?? Probably the latter I know but when you get done by your own stupidity it does rankle with me. The other thing that worries me was the risk to the Annbank left back from the sun. Sporting a bouncy curly ginger Rizzle Kicks hair cut I just hope he had the factor 50 covering his porcelain and freckled face and neck. You wouldn't want anything bad to happen to the poor lad. I suspect he ended up beetroot necked with eyes like a red and white panda.

A 30 minute hold up on the M8 heading back and I passed a broken down car in the middle of the carriageway surrounded by cones and a police car and ambulance just reminding you there are worse things that can happen and to count your blessings. I came back to Ayrshire having done a little bit of business and taken in a fraught and nervous 2nd half at St Mirren. I returned to My Ayrshire Fancy "For to see her was to love her,
Love but her, and love for ever." and despite the loss of my own sweet Nancy I am a lucky man. I thank the big man every day.. and when you are a big man?? Well.... you soak it up and go with it. If you live and love then when you love life... well it isn't easy but it is a love indeed. The Candy are flying and we march on to the next round and a huge game against Pollok. It is a measure of where we are, but this is a journey. Like life and love, this isn't as good as it gets for any of us and if you believe that, then the possibilities are wonderful. The Candy have got us here and it has been a wondrous few months for me. What is the final destination though?? The good thing is we are fighting on all fronts and what could be more worthy and more important than fighting for the ones you love??

"Thine be ilka joy and treasure,
Peace, enjoyment, love, and pleasure!"

Mon the Candy!
MTCemoji172.pngemoji460.pngemoji106.png

I have to agree, we do have a lot of youngsters in the squad from Ayr so they are learning the game and on this occasion st Rochs were just more experience and handled the occasion so much better 

I have to agree, we do have a lot of youngsters in the squad from Ayr so they are learning the game and on this occasion st Rochs were just more experience and handled the occasion so much better 

The young left back with the red hair had a good robust game and didn't mind getting in and about it and the number seven was a good wee powerhouse player and would have run all day I think.

2 hours ago, roch said:

The young left back with the red hair had a good robust game and didn't mind getting in and about it and the number seven was a good wee powerhouse player and would have run all day I think.

Appreciate that, jack at the back struggled a bit at first but when he found his feet he got stuck in, number seven is a fantastic Wee player and will run the length of the park all day

I thought some of the link up play from Annbank was very good early on. The forwards (10 especially) were showing for the ball and defenders and midfield were playing good balls up to them then joining in. It was obvious to anyone with a football eye that they have been taught properly, had ability and tried to play good football. As they lads get older I suspect they will make a decent team. The Candy are a decent team so no disgrace getting beaten by us. What a game it will be away at Pollok. I would expect a decent CandyCrowd at that one. League duty takes centre stage and an intriguing game at JMcG against Wishaw. After all their rumblings over JawGate it will be a chance for them to show it wasn't a fluke... are they up for it? I'm sure we will be and I'm really looking forward to it.
Mon the Candy!
MTC[emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Looking forward to the next group of matches. Every one of them is a big game. Also a wee run out in my home town tomorrow night against my mates team Glasgow Harp. It's all getting busy and exciting at the business end!!

Mon the Candy!

MTC [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Archived