The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All the trouble that's happened recently have these fans been bevvied?

If a grown man / woman can't control their actions then they are to blame. Been following this thread and it's clear it's a minority and people are just trying to stir the pot.

See to be honest, whilst drink is involved..it's been a mixture of young guys being young, guys being too drunk, some folk standing up for themselves and no taking any shite....and some folk being pure p***ks of course.
I could make defence for some and slaughter others...it's just frustrating it seemed to all happen in one space of time.
We have a decent sized support relatively speaking, so you get decent punters and a-holes.
It's frustrating when a load of folk love standing with a beer and watching a game of football (myself included) to get get tarred with a brush due to the actions of others...however as per, minority rules.

I do think you are right though

Spot on mate, young lads with a drink in them, just full of mouth but age gives them the benefit of the doubt as for, shall we say more senior guys the blame must lay with them and they should be held accountable for their actions but to blame a club is nonsense as once they are through the gates they have no control they can only react to a situation.

Like you say always get those idiots who spoil it.

An IRA sign? Wtf is an IRA sign?? Seen on Twitter that you have banned the guy and that is all you'd can possibly do.

we also banned the people who misbehaved against Kilwiining and the one from the Wishaw game.

i have genuinely never heard of an IRA sign but the fact that the person was calling us "scum" says a lot - we have no gripe with Bellshill mate and as I say thank you for dealing with the situation but to say that the goalies celebrations were catalyst does not stand up mate

all the best

ref killed it m8 he was shocking but what can u do about them yesh m8 both teams went for it the day but tbh think a draw would have been a fair result but thats  football gd luck for the rest of the season and we will see yous again soon from all the players and committee of bellshill

St Rochs (thought my first post should start of with this) played well today, little sloppy in front of goal whilst up against a very determined and gutsy Bellshill defence, keeper included. On a pitch not in favour of slick passing moves McGuire just seemed to ooze class, a better passer of the ten yard simple ones I've yet to see in this league, when Rab plays the Candy plays.

We got of to a fantastic start when McDonald kept his cool to make himself a better angle for the finish whilst the travelling support shout 'shoot' as soon as the baw lands at his feet, 1 nil to the Candy.

St Rochs continued to dominate proceedings with the unlikely Roan marauding, yes marauding doon the right hand side, causing the left back no end of grief, his running power and determination not to be beaten gaining the Candy valuable time in the opposition half, but as the first paragraph suggests, sloppiness in front of goal being our biggest challenge.

We seemed to have a scoring opportunity  every 10 mins only for the ball to strike the post or Bellshills own pride in defending keeping the ball from crossing the line, the opponents rarely threatened which wasn't helped when their striker was given  a straight red for a high(ish) challenge on the in form and imposing x Rob Roy defender Johnny Carter, both players showing evidence of stud marks on the upper thigh, we got a wee break. 

The game flowed toward the Bellshill keeper who did particularly well to keep out various gilt edged chances and our own number 1 also having to earn his pay (sic) with the dangerous and powerful number 8 causing us some problems, a great battle ensued between himself and Carter, the sort of opponent the big man was brought in to compete against, and did so. 

It'd be foolish whilst discussing our own centre half not to mention the glorious pass from Bellshill's number 4, a fantastic 50 yard right to left which resulted in the recipetent laying the ball back across goal for Bellshill getting back on level terms, probably deserved  for the resilience they showed being one man down, if not a shot in the arm for our own failings in front of goal. 

The Candy fans raised the team in the last 10 and the bench reacted, removing our right back (for today) Bryson who had a fantastic match again in the defence,  to go 3 at the back and bring on Chris Mcfayden, a fantastic ambassador for the Roch but more importantly a seasoned goal scorer

The opponents gave the ball away in their third of the pitch which resulted in them fouling in the process of trying to get it back, Martin shots/crosses to the back post, either the keeper palmed it out or it rebounded of the post, either way up pops McFayden to slot it home, two one to the visitors, cruel on Bellshill after their stern efforts with 10 men but nevertheless three points on the road were ours. 

Good luck to Bellshill for the remainder of the season

Onwards and upwards for the Candy 

Enjoyable game,when it was only 1-0 thought Bellshill were always in it, could see them equalising as it turned out. Hopefully our strikers won't miss as many again, but we had created numerous chances & game should have been over for 1/2 time. Thought Dom & Paul played well. What a difference a week makes. Well done to the big Candy traveling support.MTC

Down with that sort of thing...

It is good to see so many comments in the thread recently and it makes a refreshing change to see some different user names other than "Hanging Judge Jeffries" and "Dirty Alkies Banthumaww". Long may it continue, all contributions (good or bad, positive or negative) are the pulse that keeps the Candy blood flowing, not just with St Roch's fans but lots of other junior club fans who check in for their Candy Fix. It all raises the profile of the club and that we know now, just as we always suspected, everyone just can't get enough. This view reinforced by a friendly welcome for me and the old man on the gate.. "you gonna write something good about today??" There is always a first time I told him.. so here goes...

A week is a long time in these political days but it is longer in junior football. It felt like a week as I began my odessey to find the lost location and began a frustrating game of postcode lottery as I tried every postcode on the internet which professes to be the true hidden location of the happy hunting ground. I toured every estate in Bellshill (I remembered it was down a wee winding path but surprisingly that never helped anyone I asked). The address in their Twitter took me into a housing estate in the other side of the town. ML4 3AU... through cursing voice I drove around and asked various tracksuited souls walking various threatening canines where it was. I should have asked them to recite Hawkins theory on Black Holes as it would have been more helpful. Eventually I found a family man pushing a pram who directed me. My angst has only been calmed when on checking things again this morning I spotted the cardinal fault of the sat nav, the human error typo. ML4 3EU takes you right to the ground.... have you guys never heard of BREXIT over there??? You have heard of a diversion though and I hit 4 closed roads on the way back.. more of that later. A protracted journey home is always easier with 3 points in your Candy poke........

You can go from heroes to zeros and back to heros quicker than a right hook from a beaten opposition fan. big Starkie found that out after the game.. disgraceful.. but as this has already been addressed and although we are the Roch we have been no saints recently so hopefully we can all move on. All I will say is that bad behaviour breeds bad behaviour and lowers standards. It is vital that we move on from the pish that has clouded what is a fantastic and promising start to what could be our best season for years. I know everyone at he club wants this to be the case. So do we all.

The game itself was an entertaining affair and a story of missed chances and never giving up on both sides. We started well and a great shuffling fittid finish for a big guy put us 1 up early on. A second goal in 2 games for the big lad who looks to be a good addition to the team. His goal all the more note worthy as everyone was shouting "hit it" before he cut back inside before sliding it under Ed Sheerins banana booted brother. He is not in goal I suspect because he is a great footballer but he is a decent keeper and but for him the Candy could have been 4 up at half time. As it was there were chances galore for both sides and despite an Arsehole's Red Card for a silly piece of retaliation, 10 man Bellshill still hadn't been put to the sword. More chances in the second and again a missfiring Roch couldn't put them away and although slightly against the run of play, Bellshill scored an equaliser late on. It was typical "don't finish your chances then you get caught" but no real surprise. Bellshill looked tricky throughout with numbers 7 (I spoke with his parents at half time who wished me the worst of luck for the second half which I returned to them.. we are a friendly bunch us fans) and a fleet footed number 11, both servicing the stocky and troublesome goal scorer. Their diminutive number 3 also was involved a lot and played well and it is hard luck in them all who fraught to get back in it when the Candy nicked the winner with 3mins to go courtesy of a close finish from another keeper, post, keeper scrambled save. Good performances from all of the CandyMen especially our midfield with big Paul putting in a shift and Keiran Daw unlucky not to score at least 2. I was also impressed by the much maligned Away fans who after losing the equaliser gave rousing song and encouragement. Who knows if that really roused the lads but vocal backing from the Candy faithful is unwaivering and can help carry a team over the line. Well done to all concerned. I am glad for The Gaffer too who must have been feeling frustrations aplenty. I heard he held a fans forum yesterday where the good work of St Roch's as a club was discussed as well as a blue print for everyone to move on together and united. A great innovation and worthy of compliment....

So we headed off, mud splattered and frozen, past the aforementioned incident, back to the cars and after 20 mins scraping sideline muck off my shoes (tip- although you might fit in with the tracksuited dug walkers, don't wear white trainers to Bellshill) I drove off to encounter more cones than Capaldi's. I finally made it home and left behind fond memories of the Bellshill restrauntuer of the year and their "ah hope that's Roy ae the Rovers they're bringing oan" superscarfed fan. This is a simple game and in it's purest form is the greatest of battles. Many a fun word is shouted and banter abounds. "Mon the Shaktar CaraCandy" and "I hope he doesn't get up" (to their tricky winger, uttered by a 8 year old good judge of a player). I always smile at the football.. even through the ice cream cold....

In Bellshill all roads lead to ....roadworks. When the ice cream van plays its chime you might hear.. "Ma, can ah get a cone?" "Aye, get wan off the road ootside..." waste not want not is the cry of the mothers. I hear there is a new Sky Atlantic mini series that has been syndicated here and across the pond... "Coneland".. its the tale of under cover MI5 and CIA agents. Keep your eyes open as you might see filming which starts next week. Having said that the main characters wear an adidas tracksuit and walks a staffie. You have to blend in apparently...... we can all joke and today especially, we should all remember we are lucky we can. Best of luck to Bellshill for the rest of the season, except when we see you at JMCG. Have a laugh, it's only a game lads, a great game, but still only a game.....

"For sure, they died as noble men,
Not terror-stricken sons and boys,
For if this myth were proved untrue,
How could we ever face ourselves?
How could we ever…be so cruel?"

Mon the Candy!
MTC

IMG_1479420100.206854.jpg.6ff2a41228dd25
A very thought provoking evening tonight at JMcG with the screening of "Anyone but Celtic" by filmmaker Paul Larkin.

I like to think I have an open mind and am prepared to listen to reasoned debate and alternative theories about everything. "Ma da's bigger than your da" rationale does nothing for me and I shy away often shaking my head and lamenting some people's ability not to do the same. This film however, although admittedly coming from an obvious starting point, was articulate and well researched and well structured.

I admit I have been somewhat sheltered over the years (having lived away for so long) from a lot of the issues raised but it is certainly food for thought. I can concede an opposite view has the right to be heard and I will watch with interest and listen carefully when (and I think it will be when, not if) these matters are brought more into the mainstream debate. All we want as fans (and I am sure I speak for every fair minded fan) is a level playing field. Let the best team win. It shouldn't be an unfair fight. A fair go shouldn't mean a square go......

MTC!

As the TV reported the season's first named weather system "Storm Angus" making landfall and causing havoc...the Garngad Weather Centre at the top of Roystonhill Steeple (relocated there after the one on top of the Red Road Flats was demolished) issued an APB warning (Absolutely Pure Baltic) as "Hurricane Candy" made landfall at JMcG and delivered a Whirlwind performance and caused their own Monsoon Mayhem for a poor Weather Beaten Johnstone Burgh (or should it be Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrra?) as our opponents shivered and quivered and never delivered. Snow wonder as the Woeful Weather couldn't Cloud over a Winter Warmer of a performance as the Candy stayed Cool as Ice and delivered Six of the Winter Best. Nothing was going to Rain on our parade today..........

I started the day early with a trip back through to West Lothian on business and took the opportunity to head back up to my old haunt and shared many a handshake and catch up banter with my old Fauldhouse Fan Friends and wished them well as their bus set off for a Scottish cup tie against our league rivals Larkhall. I also took the opportunity when back through there to visit another special place, lay some flowers and remember. A song can make you crumble and a thought can stop you in your tracks, there is nothing as powerful and debilitating and wonderful as the human mind. I am a better man for having those memories and I wouldn't be without them. With a tear in my eye I still say I'm your's. I think I always will be. It grounds you and despite my 48 years I still find that every day is a school day and you are always learning about yourself. Life isn't easy for any of us but I am doing alright (thanks to everyone who has asked) and I count my blessings. The fragility of life and the struggles of those worse off than us highlighted by a fabulous cold weather clothes collection for the "invisibles" homeless charity, under an unseasonal summer gazebo, anchored to the dirt on an island in the middle of the flooded Candy CarPark. Imagine being homeless and living on the streets in this day and age and in this weather?? As well as counting the boots and jumpers and winter coats (there was a fantastic response. Well done everyone) We should count our blessings. One thing I have noticed is that the Candy Care.. it could happen to anyone. I donated what I could and then sought shelter in the club house. This is the clubhouse that the half wit arseholes as the SJFA want to close.

I sat at a table with 6 old guys with a combined age of over 500. I was the youngest by at least 30 years. 4 coffees, a bottle of bud and 2 glasses with a soul warming half in. I was on the coffee! The SJFA want to stop this happening. About 50 Frozen Folk were in there, regrouping and thawing out before the game. Stories were told, laughter was heard, handshakes were given, kids drank iron bru and ate crisps, pies warmed insides and television was watched. The SJFA want to close this. I know how much my Saturdays mean to me and I can guess how much they mean to the old guys at my table. This might be the only thing they have in their week. The SJFA want to stop this. I know we have an appeal this week and I want to wish the club the best of luck and I hope sense prevails. We live in a society where when one person misbehaves we punish them and not everyone. We live in a society when we should punish the criminal not everyone for the crime. If they are allowed to uphold this nonsensical decision then the day when YOU can be hung for someone else stealing a lamb has arrived. The SJFA committee need to stop being sheep and use common sense for the common man. Like Anne Frank, I still believe that everyone is good at heart. If we don't then we are all heading to hell on an over reactionary ill conceived SJFA handcart. Justice must out. (These are my views and NOT those of the club). Anyway... I enjoyed the banter and the heat and as I headed out past 3 dolphins, a fishing boat and Noah's Ark, I ventured to the dug out terrace and huddled under a fellow fan brolly and witnessed a Rampant Roch put the droont rats to the salty sea sword. 2-0 at half time could have been 5 as we passed and moved and but for some good saves and some close efforts the game could have been over. It was effectively over as 3 quickfire strikes put us 5 up before they scored a consolation with a great finish and with the Candy submarines, sorry, subs, on we scored again for a final 6-1 scoreline. The game was witnessed by European cup winner Bertie Auld who I believe spoke to the lads before the game. Picture shows him signing an original Lisbon cup final programme! He could have played I think even with his wellies on and with his bunnet on. J-Burrrrrra were a sorry side who were non-swimmers out of their depth in the watery pitch. They had the look of an average bunch who were over ran and then chucked it. The big bearded ginger number 5 trudged off at the end looking like a sour faced Henry VIII. His groin had been left on the muddy battlefield and perhaps he should have tried to chop a few heads off rather than sit back on his centre half throne watching proceedings and hoping his minions would do his work. He will have to reinforce his defences as will JoBu but I doubt they will come across a marauding and bludgeoning army like the Rampant Ransacking Candy every week. If must be Hard being hit by the Roch.

So on a day where Dom and Carter showed off their Christmas Haircuts and we showed off our abilities, and where the biggest danger for the Candy was that we would run out of Bovril, we got a well deserved 3 points with a good passing and moving classy performance in atrocious conditions. Good banter in the clubhouse and on the terracing and in the shed. One lad said his missus was away on a SPA break and when he called her she was drunk already...His mate asked was he sure she wasn't just getting a Kerry Oot for a SPAR day? We played "Shootie in" against a mudsplattersd keeper but the Candy weren't the only thing in Green as I watched through a smokey green pungent haze courtesy of a few "its medicinal" funky cigarettes. I did think there was a No Smoking policy under covers but as I found out during my Buckie Boy Coo Shed Fauldhouse days, that only applies to tobacco products!!
The big Candyman DJ played the appropriately titled "Sunshine after the rain..." as the troops trudged off. Very fitting and witty. Today just goes to show you that the sun will come out again.. it doesn't matter how much it is raining, it doesn't matter how difficult it seems, it doesn't matter how bad things get. There are others worse off than you and there are better times ahead for us all. You can get through the rain and the bad times and if you keep faith and believe in yourself and keep going and keep your standards and do the right things then you will get your rewards and rightly so. In football. In life.

Mon the Candy!
MTC

IMG_1479583746.261907.jpg

Archived