Annan v Stirling

Once the formality of the last league cup group game is out of the way on Saturday, it's down to the real stuff. Can happily say I'm champing at the bit for the new league season.

Stirling have improved the squad but will the same manager manage to improve the performances to make us a decent team? I still have my doubts but the first quarter is a key test (we were just above the Shire at that time last season and McLaren was close to being sacked)

McLaren seems to love a 3 player attack with 2 wide men but this became Henderson (very) alone up front in spells were the game is going against us. I'm a committed 4-4-2 man so my reaction is always predictable.

Have Annan replaced the many players who left with improved quality?

Anyway, bring on the shed!

3 hours ago, Ray Vaughn said:

Once the formality of the last league cup group game is out of the way on Saturday, it's down to the real stuff. Can happily say I'm champing at the bit for the new league season.

Stirling have improved the squad but will the same manager manage to improve the performances to make us a decent team? I still have my doubts but the first quarter is a key test (we were just above the Shire at that time last season and McLaren was close to being sacked)

McLaren seems to love a 3 player attack with 2 wide men but this became Henderson (very) alone up front in spells were the game is going against us. I'm a committed 4-4-2 man so my reaction is always predictable.

Agree with a lot of what you say, the League is our priority this season no matter what happens in the Betfred Cup. Hopefully we get off to a good start this season unlike last year when we struggled for the first couple of months. 

At this level I cannot understand NOT playing 2 up front, maybe against better opposition away from home I could understand but not in League 2. 

Last year our record at Annan was quite good despite our poor season, we managed 2 draws down their and hopefully we can go one better this time and come away with the 3 points. Need to start well this season if we have to have any chance imo to get to at least into the playoffs.

Prediction Annan 1 Albion 2 

The desire people have for two up front at all costs is a strange one. I actually prefer to see a lone striker as long as he's ably supported by the wide men almost acting as inside forwards. Means teams look more attacking going forward but with extra defensive cover. I also like that this means an extra body in midfield. We used that to great effect against Elgin last night. 

I find 4-4-2 a very limiting formation with little flexibility. Of course in a one-striker set up, you also need your striker to be able to handle it, and Henderson certainly looks the part. 

Promising stuff, and I'm actually looking forward to the game at Annan ALMOST as much as I'm looking forward to the Shed. But not quite. :P

7 minutes ago, Ray Vaughn said:

£1.50 a bottle of Becks in the Shed. Fucking Brexit's fault!

Terrible ! it just means you have to drink less and if it goes tits up on Saturday it also means it will be easier to shout at McLaren. :)

On 27 July 2016 at 13:38, Ray Vaughn said:

Champing at the bit...have I stumbled on the Corbie Wood forum?

Experience tells me "Expect the worst and hope for the best". Last season we courted oblivion. Re your references to improved performances and a decent team, would Albion fans settle for sixth in the league?  On managers, never been a fan of changing mid season. Often a case of out of the frying pan  etc etc. and as we no longer have a white knight like Mr MacKenzie, I would rather we operated a tight budget and survived.  Team formation, I know nothing. How did we line-up against Cumbernauld Colts? Possibly the least entertaining match of the season. I remember thinking I couldn't watch too many one sided games.

I agree the last couple of seasons have been dire. My player of 2015-2016 was the Tannoy Announcer. His often themed music brought a smile to my other wise sour puss.  Here's to more Elmer Bernstein moments.

If McLaren doesn't do anything to sort out that defence soon, he should get his jotters for that alone. We've got a great forward three, but that's nae use if we concede daft goals from set pieces every week. I'm still confident of a result on Saturday, but be sure to put this game on your BTTS coupon. 

Hard to say how we will start this season, we have some promising players but no proven goal scorer as of yet. One nil Annan with an og

How have the performances been the last 3 games, (cup games) as been preoccupied? New boys bedding in OK. Have liked the look of Krissian. Think it'll be 2-0 Annan on Saturday.

Looking forward to this game. We have had a few hard games in the cups. Lots of new players I'm still undecided if they will be good enough. Still think we need a striker and someone with a bit experience to help the younger lads.
It's important to get off to a good start and give everyone at the club a bit confidence.

Team selection news from the Albion website, Ross McGeachie and Aurilen Mazel both fit for selection and could be considered.

Ross Smith is suspended and a decision will be taken on Saturday on whether Chris Smith could play in goals.

Get McGeachie and Mazel straight in id say

Don't expect both of them to start due to lack of match fitness, probably on the bench.

With Ross Smith suspended expect Davidson, McMillian in the centre of defence.

Rest of the team along the same lines that started at Perth.

Archived