Airport Lounges. Any Views?

alta-pete

I've only been in a lounge once. It was at Gatwick, and it wasn't a particular airline, I can't remember the name of the lounge. It was pretty shite. I had eggs benedict and a couple of beers, but I wasn't happy at how available the free booze was. We were intending to rip the arse right out of it. Got it on a deal through RBS Royalties account.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Im not a fan of dubais business lounge they are too fricking big,however the first class lounge is really good

I like that they have a civilised smoking area, exactly the same as the rest of the lounge.  No skulking off to a wee air conditioned glass cage in there.

I like that they have a civilised smoking area, exactly the same as the rest of the lounge.  No skulking off to a wee air conditioned glass cage in there.

If you ever fly into the old terminal at Dubai - 1? - the whole arrivals concourse is smoking.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

If you ever fly into the old terminal at Dubai - 1? - the whole arrivals concourse is smoking.

So was the runway the other day.

C**ts. Made the fatal flaw of offering my 2 for 1 card (4 of us) before getting past the door steward.

"Terribly sorry sir but we're expecting a large party in and won't have room to let you in I'm afraid." Despite the place being half empty. Moral of the story: get to the point of paying before fronting up with the card.

Wetherspoons was as expected..

Use them all the time when I am travelling.  Was at Dublin on the day they opened the new 51st and Green lounge, it has amazing views of the runway and taxi-ways.

Dublin.jpg

My favourite lounge in the UK has to be the Concorde Room at Heathrow.

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 08:56, kilbowie2002 said:

Sounds like its like that shitey sky lounge in Glasgow, these arent real lounges man, dont let that put you off!

Probably! Will be a good while before I'm near an airport again anyway, I think!

• 4 weeks later...

Flying Edinburgh-Doha-Colomba (Sri Lanka) on 24th with Quatar.

Flight is 8 in the morning.  Any advice on an overnight in a hotel and parking for Edinburgh as coming from Dundee?

Also.  Neither of us drink and while the connection in Doha is about 90 mins going out is 9 hrs coming back!  (After being stuck on a train in China for 25hrs in April it should be a breeze).

Any tips on Doha airport?

As we land at 2am i doubt nipping out is an option.

11 minutes ago, Sugar Army said:

Flight is 8 in the morning.  Any advice on an overnight in a hotel and parking for Edinburgh as coming from Dundee?

From Dundee to Edinburgh?  I'd not bother with a hotel/parking and get a cab both ways.  Can't be much difference in price and much more convenient.

On 06/09/2016 at 21:26, Sugar Army said:

Also.  Neither of us drink and while the connection in Doha is about 90 mins going out is 9 hrs coming back!  (After being stuck on a train in China for 25hrs in April it should be a breeze).

You need a visa to get into qatar so its the airport for you(you can get a temp one if you book a tour from the airport)

Theres an airside hotel if you fancy a kip or there are pay showers etc and plenty of places to crash if you dont fancy the hotel,apart from that it isnt the worst airport to be stuck in for 9 hrs

As the man said i wouldnt bother with a hotel close to embra airport,but there is cheapish premier in at ratho station

Old Doha airport has full length loungers that are relatively easy to sleep in.  It all gets a little competitive finding free ones, but if you do, plonk down on them.  If you are flying through the new Doha airport, it's absolutely enormous and you'll find a quiet place no bother, but there's a lot of walking involved.

Re: Edinburgh; there's a 24 hour shuttle service to the airport.  You'd almost be cheaper doing the hole thing via public transport than driving and parking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2016 at 21:26, Sugar Army said:

Hi

I had 7 hours from 11pm to 6am in Doha in March.  The airport hotel has a spa and pool which you can use for an unlimited time for about £20 each.  Swimming at 3am in a pool alone in the middle of an airport (2 floors up but you can see down into the airport) was surreal!  It has sauna and steam room, and a jacuzzi pool - but the best thing was a quiet room where you could bed down.  I actually really enjoyed it!

• 4 months later...
I was looking at booking the Aspire lounge at Edinburgh in march for £40 for the two of us. 1, Is it worth it. 2, What do you get for your money?

Yes I'd say so - went there at the end of January. Unlimited booze (most spirits, beer etc), standard nibbles like crisps, nuts and biscuits, and some hot food which is just a pasta dish. The pasta is big standard, but for £20 each for unlimited booze I'd say it's worthwhile - you more than get your money's worth. I was just having tiger beer and bailey's really (la di da)

Archived