Tyne/Wear/Tees - The North East Thread

There's no real need to extend sjp at the moment or past few years. I appreciate your points but Sunderland, Newcastle or most teams tbh don't have anywhere near the same catchment areas as West Ham or other London clubs. Personally I like the lobsided ness to sjp keeps it unique. The 'derby' for Sunday hasn't sold out yet and probably won't either so extension talk is wide of the mark. I don't consider boro a derby and I live south of the Tyne but never came into contact with any smoggies until I went to oz. For what it's worth I think sland will do ok this season and shouldn't really struggle, neither should boro. 

On 15 August 2016 at 21:25, MacGafraidh said:

Love the SOL, I always hoped that they would pack it out in the Premier and have to update the 2nd tier all the way round as I see Sunderland with the potential to be a 60,000 supported club.

Sunderland's population is only 270k, and manages to average around 43k crowds, which is pretty decent already. There's no need to expand the stadium at the moment, and I can't ever see it happening tbh. Glad to see that the club are replacing the pink seats though.

48 minutes ago, booj1893 said:

Stuani's goal was a cracker, I was right behind it and no keeper would've stopped that. Sunderland need to make a good few signings as can't play boys like love Gooch and Watmore week in week out.

I actually thought Watmore and Gooch looked like two of their better players tbh.

I just don't see the point in his ownership to be honest. Why own a club if he has no ambition to see it progress? There is no reason that Sunderland as a club should be languishing as much as they are, everything is in place bar the team on the pitch. The recruitment in recent years has been absolutely pathetic, and it all stems from Short's unwillingness to make a proper go at it.

On 21/08/2016 at 22:58, booj1893 said:

Watmores final ball was brutal at times especially the one he tried to pass to januzaj on the wing I'm first half, the problem is that boys like that will get you relegated as they have all the effort but not enough quality

I've never seen a footballer who looks less like a footballer. I don't really mean ability wise - although he is clearly pretty rubbish - more just his look. Just looks like an enthusiastic fan who has gone and bought the full kit and has somehow ended up getting a game.

8 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

I just don't see the point in his ownership to be honest. Why own a club if he has no ambition to see it progress? There is no reason that Sunderland as a club should be languishing as much as they are, everything is in place bar the team on the pitch. The recruitment in recent years has been absolutely pathetic, and it all stems from Short's unwillingness to make a proper go at it.

It depends what you are comparing them to though. You can look at clubs like Aston Villa and Leeds who are similar sized clubs and are much worse off. Plus numerous clubs not much smaller like Derby, Wolves, Birmingham, Sheffield clubs etc who are all way worse off. And then even their rivals Boro and Newcastle, Boro have finally got their act together but spent years out the league, and Newcastle are in the league below.

They now have a good manager, they need players but that's not been helped by giving every other club a few weeks head start with Allardyce leaving. Their issue has been consistently sacking managers, it means when a new appointment comes in the board are clearly apprehensive about giving him big funds as he'll probably be out the door in 12-18 months and the manager wont want half of them. They need to commit to giving Moyes money to spend and trust him to spend it properly. Otherwise they'll just continue in this endless cycle they've been in.

Watmore's a decent impact player off the bench, but he's always been cack whenever he's started a game. 

I was at the game last Sunday and it really hit home how we are at least 5 players short (sic). Manquillo is a good signing as Donald Love is nowhere near good enough for this level yet. If we sign the Spaniard Iborra and also bring back M'Vila, that's the midfield sorted. 

With Mannone out for at least 3 months, another keeper has suddenly become important. There's talk of Joe Hart coming on loan with Man City paying 90,000 of his wages. Young Pickford's a great wee keeper, but someone with Hart's experience could be a good shout. Canny see it happening though. 

Another striker is a big priority as well. The only back up to Defoe is 17-yr old Joel Asoro, and even he is wanted by a number of top clubs. 

How we do this season will be determined by what Moyes does over the next few days. 

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Stoke (via a nice little detour to see Huddersfield v Sheffield Wednesday today).

As I life long Sunderland fan, I have to say we have had it this season I reckon. We don't create anywhere near enough and are fragile at the back which is a brutal combination in this league. I have personally witnessed 6 relegations. I can smell a relegation a mile off and this season reeks of it.

We do have some good young uns coming through and hopefully they will develop and help us to be competitive in the championship next season if the inevitable finally happens.

I am not depressed about the situation as I have seen it all before and know that life (and Sunderland football club) will go on and I will still get my footy fix with the lads most weekends. Might help me with my quest to complete the 92 as well, although there are only 3 grounds in the current championship I have not visited.

Edited by Roker Rover

Nearly into November and of the Tyne Wear sides Newcastle STILL remain the last team to pick up 3 premiership points :D

Neither side bothers me to be fair,prefer the northern league or Blyth Spartans if I'm taking in games doon here so I'd like to see all 3 teams from the north east in the premiership.

It's not looking good for Sunderland just now let's hope Moyes can kick start there season though some of his signings albeit at short notice have to be questioned. As much as Ashley takes the abuse you have to look at Ellis Short at Sunderland.  He's hardly bank rolling them and their budget is probably championship standard anyway  ? 

Annoying thing aboot this season is both sides are looking likely to bypass each other at end of season. The Tyne Wear derby days are as passionate and volatile as they come.

Middlesbrough I fear Karanka will spit his dummy oot again as per last season leaving them with a massive uphill task.  Results like Sunday are games they should be picking up points if they want to survive  ? 

55 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

[crowdw*nk]

Newcastle have sold all 6,000 away tickets for tonight's game at Barnsley.

[/crowdw*nk]

North East teams seem to have very good away supports. Not sure why it is, but even when Boro had poor home crowds of below 20,000 they were still taking full allocations every week. Took 7,000 to a Blackburn midweek game!

42 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

North East teams seem to have very good away supports. Not sure why it is, but even when Boro had poor home crowds of below 20,000 they were still taking full allocations every week. Took 7,000 to a Blackburn midweek game!

I've been to a few games in London where Sunderland have happened to be the away side, and they always seem to have a huge following despite invariably being in terrible form.

For us it helps that Newcastle have loosened the restrictions on away tickets very slightly. For the last 5 years or so it's been a strict policy of 1 ticket per member, and no general sale at all, whether we sell out or not.

43 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I've been to a few games in London where Sunderland have happened to be the away side, and they always seem to have a huge following despite invariably being in terrible form.

For us it helps that Newcastle have loosened the restrictions on away tickets very slightly. For the last 5 years or so it's been a strict policy of 1 ticket per member, and no general sale at all, whether we sell out or not.

I didn't know that. That'll explain why the last few seasons they've not taken the full 3000 at Anfield. Knew there must be something. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit