Stranger Things

Boostin' Kev

8 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Assumed this would be the last season. Netflix confirming there will be a fifth. Assume this was always common knowledge and I just wasn't paying attention?

I thought it was common knowledge, but apparently not.

Just think of the sledgehammer in publicity you'd have been hit with if this was the last season and not just the return.

Started watching this a few weeks ago after a recommendation from a work colleague. I’ve skipped past it on Netflix a hundred times over the past few years, the mix of child actors and unnamed monsters had been putting me off. 

I started off the first episode of season one a few weeks ago absolutely certain I would hate it, but there’s something about the show that has me absolutely hooked. It manages to be somewhat believable and outrageously far fetched and I can’t work out how they’ve managed to do that. The only scene that nearly had me turning off was in season one when Nancy encounters the tree that has the portal in to the ‘upside down’. The absolute last thing that anyone would be doing after encountering a tree like that, would be climbing inside it. I’m glad I’ve soldiered on though as I’ve enjoyed it up till now. 

12 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Started watching this a few weeks ago after a recommendation from a work colleague. I’ve skipped past it on Netflix a hundred times over the past few years, the mix of child actors and unnamed monsters had been putting me off. 

I started off the first episode of season one a few weeks ago absolutely certain I would hate it, but there’s something about the show that has me absolutely hooked. It manages to be somewhat believable and outrageously far fetched and I can’t work out how they’ve managed to do that. The only scene that nearly had me turning off was in season one when Nancy encounters the tree that has the portal in to the ‘upside down’. The absolute last thing that anyone would be doing after encountering a tree like that, would be climbing inside it. I’m glad I’ve soldiered on though as I’ve enjoyed it up till now. 

Anyone, except Nancy. Isn't that the point? 

On 09/06/2022 at 08:23, FairWeatherFan said:

I thought it was common knowledge, but apparently not.

Just think of the sledgehammer in publicity you'd have been hit with if this was the last season and not just the return.

I also thought this was the last season. The actors are going to be about 25 in the next season 😂

I also thought this was the last season. The actors are going to be about 25 in the next season [emoji23]
I can still just about buy Dustin, El and Max. Steve, Nancy and Eddie being that wee bit older is also OK. They get away with it.

Mike and Will though.... Im going to struggle with them. Will especially is already looking too old IMO.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I can still just about buy Dustin, El and Max. Steve, Nancy and Eddie being that wee bit older is also OK. They get away with it.

Mike and Will though.... Im going to struggle with them. Will especially is already looking too old IMO.

Agree that Will is the worst, he’s blatantly much older. That being said I don’t really care that much if actors are clearly older than they’re portraying unless it gets completely farcical.

I am glad it's only got 1 to go on that basis, but if I was being picky, I think they could have wrapped it up this season.

That said the Duffer brothers said they mapped the whole story out before they started, so as long as it has been paced properly, then I suspect there's a strong season left in it, then retire it on top hopefully.

Without fail, every season iv started off for some reason thinking I'm not going to be into this, and by the end I'm thinking that was brilliantly done. It's a rare example of a series that hasn't had the hole kicked out of it by either running way too long or fucking up the pace to drag more episodes out.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Agree that Will is the worst, he’s blatantly much older. That being said I don’t really care that much if actors are clearly older than they’re portraying unless it gets completely farcical.

The actor that plays Will is 2 years older than Will actually is. He's the youngest of all the actors 

Shifted from a sci-go mystery show to have more of a horror feel with the bad guy being very heavily influenced by Freddy Krueger.

Aye, massive nods to A Nightmare on Elm Street in the latest one I felt. Right down to 'Freddy Krueger' actually having a cameo in the series. Surprised no one else has mentioned that.

Loved the latest one. Three stories on the go at once and all gripping for me. Roll on Friday.

Enjoyed it. Nancy in the Nightmare in Elm Street inspired dream/horror sequence clicked. As did one of the soldiers being called Hicks.

Wonder what they're going to do for the final season to top it.

When they started spending time at the shelter/school gym?. I was convinced we'd see Henry/One/Vecna back in his human form as one of the displaced people.

Just finished the series finale. Enjoyable enough but I'd have been satisfied if they just left it there.

My wife couldn't believe it when I said there is another season to come 😂

Just finished the series finale. Enjoyable enough but I'd have been satisfied if they just left it there.
My wife couldn't believe it when I said there is another season to come [emoji23]

I enjoyed this season much more than I thought I would but agree.

It felt like it was geared up for a big ending when Eleven stopped him from killing Max; and it seemed like the perfect time for it. You get the impression that it’ll essentially end that way, but in a another years time.

It dragged on a bit at the end like it could have finished atleast 3 or 4 times before it actually did.

A bit meh about them killing Eddie hard to care about these deaths when the people only get brought in at the start of the season. They really need to kill off one of the main original characters if they want some impact (as below), like what value to Will and Jonathan actually add at this stage? You could get rid of either of them for that and the show wouldn’t look much different.

When it looked like they were actually going to kill off Max I thought that was fantastic. Gut wrenching emotional stuff but kinda ruined by not following through with it. Suppose we have the question of will she ever see again.

No spoilers because if you are deliberately reading threads like these when you have haven’t finished the programme that’s your own fault.

Maybe just me but it feels like it's ended the same way every season, get Eleven to a place where she can scream and use her powers to defeat the bad guy. 

I like it though, but could definitely have trimmed a fair bit from it. Needs more deaths too, I want to see stakes 

I don't think splitting the series release helped as with 90% of the last episode being action type stuff it lost its flow a little. It also didn't help that most of the group didn't reunite this time until after everything was finished.

Agree with Scotty that killing off a character they only introduced this series doesn't have much impact.

The story definitely could have been wrapped up this series and, unless the final series is really special, I think it people will agree it should have ended here.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Am I the only one who was gutted to see Eddie go then? Thought he was a great addition tbh and was great value. Will on the other hand is an extremely boring character/the actor is just awful. I wouldn't be arsed if he went tbh. Though I expect he's being kept to tell Mike next season that he's in love with him.

Really enjoyed it tbh. And a special mention for Master of Puppets being blasted out on the guitar - outstanding.