Stranger Things

Boostin' Kev

Really enjoyed the first part of season four. If I have major one gripe it's that returning to Steve and Nancy as a potential couple again felt really off. Steve as a character particularly benefitted once he and Nancy split up in season 2, so the idea of them reconciling in the future isn't particularly appealing.

I reckon I’m in the minority here but I didn’t enjoy this season (or as much as there is up of it) as much as the last one. It felt dragged out to me - and splitting the characters up to go on separate adventures just padded things and made the story more unclear.

I do like that they’re adding to the mythos in a way that makes sense (and they committed to horror this time), but Eleven in particular just seems to get dragged round in circles as a character. They clearly have a formula and they’re sticking to it, but relentless misery (the same existential misery for Eleven; the will-they-won’t-they misery with several other characters) repeated again and again just gets wearing.

And the Argyle character is fucking dreadful. ETA: doesn’t help him as a “comedy” character that he’s the double of The Freak from Wentworth.

7FC9B951-2659-41F6-A1BC-1BA1893C9BF3.jpeg

Edited by Antlion

Just finished the first part of this season. Whilst I think the last couple of seasons have been a bit unnecessary, this season has felt different and I’m really liking it. Shifted from a sci-go mystery show to have more of a horror feel with the bad guy being very heavily influenced by Freddy Krueger.

Only gripe is the way they’ve basically sidelined Will, Mike and Jonathan. They’re not really doing anything and feel a wee bit behind everyone else. I get that it’ll all tie back in again but they feel a bit wasted at the minute. Also feel like Erica could’ve been used more. She gets more involved in the latest episode but until then she’s barely in it.

Really enjoyed the addition of the Faceless Man from GOT (I forget the actors name) and Sadie Sinks performances are really good. She’s definitely the strongest actor/actress of the “younger” group.

That final episode…wow. I was sat open-mouthed at pretty much everything.

Spoiler

I’d sort of figured out that creepy guy in white was 001, but the triple twist of him also being Henry Creel and Vecna came out of nowhere.

Finally got round to finishing the first volume. Christ, it takes a while with the length of those episodes.

Loving this series, although I'm struggling to see it. What is it with film/TV makers wanting everything to be barely visible!

Did not see the twist coming, although I barely remember any mention of 001 previously. It was done very well. Did we gather how Victor lost his eyes as he had them when arrested?

Murray is also an exceptional character, and my hero of the whole damn show. Does not get enough respect for his contribution to the cause.

Only thing that has been off for me has been the ridiculous jock hunt for Eddie and now the whole town becoming mad pitchfork wielding Bible bashers. The town hall meeting had a Simpsons vibe about it. Seems needless and just drags the episodes out, as well as being very cringey dialogue wise.

1 hour ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Did we gather how Victor lost his eyes as he had them when arrested?

Only thing that has been off for me has been the ridiculous jock hunt for Eddie and now the whole town becoming mad pitchfork wielding Bible bashers. The town hall meeting had a Simpsons vibe about it. Seems needless and just drags the episodes out, as well as being very cringey dialogue wise.

He did it to himself. I think it was an attempted suicide to die the same way as his family, but he didn't die from it.

I'm guessing the jocks are going to tie in to the last two episodes in some way.

He did it to himself. I think it was an attempted suicide to die the same way as his family, but he didn't die from it.
I'm guessing the jocks are going to tie in to the last two episodes in some way.

Thought it was something like that but couldn't recall. Length of the episodes is really stretching my attention span.

No idea how to put spoilers when using the app so...

DO NOT READ IF YOU'VE NOT SEEN SEASON 4.

How did the Russians end up with Hopper considering the Americans raided the base underneath the mall almost instantaneously after they destroyed the machine?

Other than that love how it's all played out, guessed that nurse would be 001 but never guessed he'd be Vecna, can't believe they've kept the last episodes until July

[\spoiler]

Edited by Homer Thompson

On 03/06/2022 at 21:25, The Master said:

That final episode…wow. I was sat open-mouthed at pretty much everything.

Hide contents

I’d sort of figured out that creepy guy in white was 001, but the triple twist of him also being Henry Creel and Vecna came out of nowhere.

The wife had this figured out before the last episode. I was clueless. 

Season 4 was very good. not a huge fan of the mega-long episodes. And why split the series into 2 parts when the second part is a whole two episodes long?

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

And why split the series into 2 parts when the second part is a whole two episodes long?

On that front there's few factors speculated at play. 

The day they released part 1 was the deadline for Emmy nominations. 

The last couple of episodes hadnt finished the effects shots. With it said there's more effects shots in the final episode than all of season 3.

Finally, netflix milking the golden goose by having 2 subscriber windows. 

On 07/06/2022 at 14:45, scottsdad said:

The wife had this figured out before the last episode. I was clueless. 

Season 4 was very good. not a huge fan of the mega-long episodes. And why split the series into 2 parts when the second part is a whole two episodes long?

Episode 8 is 1h25 minutes, and Episode 9 is 2h30, so in terms of content it's more like a 7:4 split if you assume an average of 1h per episode.