5 minutes ago, Mozzamozza said:

Ocular migraines are fucking great.

Once you know what's happening. Before that you think: Brain Tumour, I'll be dead in 6 months.

I've had about 10 aura migraines in the last two years - no headaches, just flashing lights, blind spots and light headedness.

First one I had in 2014 I phoned NHS 24 who told me to get to hospital right away. Got up and was admitted right away with a suspected mini-stroke - I was like "U fuckin wot m8?" Got downgraded to a migraine and have found them quite pleasant now I know what they are. Not had one in about 6 months now though.

A few years back, I was at a party and my wife commented on the state of my lower legs. They were all swollen and purple. I'd been feeling sluggish and generally sore. Docs couldn't find anything wrong but I was necking dozens of painkillers of all types. Had pains in my hands, elbows, back - varied each day. Thought I was on the way out and could barely get out of bed in the morning or out of the car after driving home. I thought I had some sort of arthritis but the docs didn't believe it. 

Went to a private doc, he said I had rheumatoid arthritis. Got a load of steroid injections in my feet and put on a drug called methotrexate. It was like a miracle. I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago. Had to get the snip as the drugs are very toxic. I had to stop boozing as the drugs mess with the immune system but over time, with dedication and practice, I am able to booze again without being floored by a cold for weeks afterwards. Not meant to do anything tough on the joints so I picked up boxing and that seems to keep me in shape (except the odd black eye or bust nose) without joint pain. 

I had an ocular migraine yesterday. The blurred, colourful vision at the start is pretty cool. The headache, brain slow-down and subsequent inability to make coherent sentences for half an hour or so, is not so much. Pretty rare that I get them thankfully.

I suffer from Osgood-Schlatters disease in my knees from time-to-time when I've been playing a lot of football. It's basically tendons in your knee being dicks (medical term). It hurts a fair bit, but no amputations as yet. 

Edited by J_Stewart

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Do any P&Bers suffer from strange diseases or medical conditions?

No really very strange but I get ocular migraines and I get bouts of Alice in Wonderland Syndrome.

I think i've had these Ocular Migraines 3 times over the last couple of months. It's happened at the exact same time on the exact same trip to Marks and Spencers for something on my lunch on my break, really weird. I don't know if its the lighting in there that triggers is but i've never had them any other time. It starts usually with a small bit of blurred vision (which feels like its in my right eye, but when I close it's still there in the left) which I can only explain as being a little bit like a kaleidoscope, which gradually gets worse to the point i cant really read or focus on something. Usually lasts about 20mins before easing off and has followed by a small headache for a little while.

About shit myself the first time, thought I was going blind.

Edited by Mallo_Madrid

I have Marfan syndrome. It explains my stature - long, thin limbs - and terrible eye sight (blind in left and about 75% in right). Need to wear ridiculously thick specs to be able to see but it beats being totally blind I guess. Both lenses are removed and too damaged for lazer treatment. 

It affects my heart as well but to be honest I haven't really noticed it/hasn't affected me yet. *Touch wood* it never does. 

I had a bilateral Bells Palsy about 25 years ago. It only affects <1% of sufferers. All the docs thought it was a massive brain tumour at the time. Although there are a million worse things to have It was pretty horrible to have at the time. Couldn't move any of the muscles in my face. Had to sleep with my eyes wide open. Had just about every student doctor in Edinburgh sticking pins into my face and poking my eyeballs with cotton wool looking for any type of muscle reaction. I still have some muscle failure in my face and I even once had to get plastic surgery to cut half my bottom lip away just to try and make both sides symmetrical.

I was never the bonniest to begin with but at one time me and Quasimodo were stunt doubles.:lol:

1 hour ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

I think i've had these Ocular Migraines 3 times over the last couple of months. It's happened at the exact same time on the exact same trip to Marks and Spencers for something on my lunch on my break, really weird. I don't know if its the lighting in there that triggers is but i've never had them any other time. It starts usually with a small bit of blurred vision (which feels like its in my right eye, but when I close it's still there in the left) which I can only explain as being a little bit like a kaleidoscope, which gradually gets worse to the point i cant really read or focus on something. Usually lasts about 20mins before easing off and has followed by a small headache for a little while.

About shit myself the first time, thought I was going blind.

I used to get them years ago, seemed to coincide with working under fluorescent lighting or staring at the old computer screens for too long. Very occasionally get one now if I try to read with a serious hangover. Only cure for a really bad one was lying down in a dark room.

48 minutes ago, Dosser-fae-the-shire said:

Ulcerative Colitis. A complete pain in the arse (literally).

Anal fissure. It's like someone's shoved a knife up your arse and kept twisting it when you have a shite. Horrendous.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

A few years back, I was at a party and my wife commented on the state of my lower legs. They were all swollen and purple. I'd been feeling sluggish and generally sore. Docs couldn't find anything wrong but I was necking dozens of painkillers of all types. Had pains in my hands, elbows, back - varied each day. Thought I was on the way out and could barely get out of bed in the morning or out of the car after driving home. I thought I had some sort of arthritis but the docs didn't believe it. 

Went to a private doc, he said I had rheumatoid arthritis. Got a load of steroid injections in my feet and put on a drug called methotrexate. It was like a miracle. I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago. Had to get the snip as the drugs are very toxic. I had to stop boozing as the drugs mess with the immune system but over time, with dedication and practice, I am able to booze again without being floored by a cold for weeks afterwards. Not meant to do anything tough on the joints so I picked up boxing and that seems to keep me in shape (except the odd black eye or bust nose) without joint pain. 

I was on Methotrexate a few years back to combat my chronic psoriasis after id used a number of topical creams, ointments, etc, over a long number of years..  Stuff made me worse as it had little or no effect on my condition & made me feel absolutely hellish most of the time.  I was taken off it after about 6 months.  Ive also had Cyclosporin which had no real effect.  Ive been on Adalimumab (Humira) for about 4 1/2 years now &, although my skin is around 80% clear most of the time, it knocks 20 shades of shite out of my stomach regularly which restricts my social life & general wellbeing.

Like most modern drugs, they help/affect everybody differently & they all have their own degrees of side-effects that, again, affect everybody differently.

9 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

I was on Methotrexate a few years back to combat my chronic psoriasis after id used a number of topical creams, ointments, etc, over a long number of years..  Stuff made me worse as it had little or no effect on my condition & made me feel absolutely hellish most of the time.  I was taken off it after about 6 months.  Ive also had Cyclosporin which had no real effect.  Ive been on Adalimumab (Humira) for about 4 1/2 years now &, although my skin is around 80% clear most of the time, it knocks 20 shades of shite out of my stomach regularly which restricts my social life & general wellbeing.

Like most modern drugs, they help/affect everybody differently & they all have their own degrees of side-effects that, again, affect everybody differently.

They used to knock me out when I started taking them. Seems a weird one for psoriasis as I'm sure dry skin, eyes and mouth is a side effect. I have to use loads of moisturisers (really no great hardship for me, being a total nonce). It worked miracles on my joint pain and general Mozza levels of cannaebearsedness so was worth sticking with. 

Hope you find a good balance of helping your ailment without it wrecking your general wellbeing.