UEFA Nations League

We play one of the other group winners in our tier.  Then we play the winner between the other two group winners.  That team goes through to Euro 2020.

Thanks. So one of the gangs in Group D will be at the Euros? What a laugh.

We need to get tactical and get down to Group D. Enough heroic failure. Just failure will do.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Paco said:

Thanks. So one of the gangs in Group D will be at the Euros? What a laugh.

We need to get tactical and get down to Group D. Enough heroic failure. Just failure will do.

Qualifying as the least shittest of the shit? I'd take that.

Divisions/pots confirmed, subject to October's qualifiers/Novembers playoffs:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2498274.html#how+uefa+nations+league+could+line

Division A
Pot 1 ... Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain
Pot 2 ... Switzerland, France, England, Italy
Pot 3 ... Poland, Croatia, Iceland, Wales

Division B
Pot 1 ... Russia, Northern Ireland, Slovakia, Sweden
Pot 2 ... Netherlands, Ukraine, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Austria
Pot 3 ... Turkey, Eire, Denmark, Hungary

Division C
Pot 1 ... Slovenia, Albania, Montenegro, Serbia
Pot 2 ... Scotland, Czech Rep, Romania, Greece
Pot 3 ... Bulgaria, Israel, Norway, Cyprus
Pot 4 ... Finland, Estonia, Azerbaijan

Division D
Pot 1 ... Lithuania, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia
Pot 2 ... FYR Macedonia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Latvia
Pot 3 ... Moldova, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Andorra
Pot 4 ... Malta, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

What a load of shite

So one of the following are going to be at Euro 2020

Division D
Pot 1 ... Lithuania, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia
Pot 2 ... FYR Macedonia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Latvia
Pot 3 ... Moldova, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Andorra
Pot 4 ... Malta, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

Ooft.  Good for sides in that top pot, as they're not the super diddies, but that's a grim list.

Good for Division C though, I'd say the winner of that would be an OK addition to such a large tournament.  Sides in the top pot that have made it before but fallen on harsh times, sides that haven't been there in ages, and sides that have never been there.  

Important to note that I *think* if all the Group A sides qualify automatically, then their playoff spots cascade down to the next group.  Could be some unexpected sides making up the final 4 that end up qualifying.

If every side in a division has qualified then the slot drops down to the next division. That will be no consolation to us in Division C as it's impossible for all 24 above us to qualify: only 20.

In the unlikely (maybe mathematically now) event we get into DIvision B then if all 12 in Division A qualified - not likely but not impossible - then there would be 2 playoff slots, not just 1.

EDIT: Btw the "lets play rubbish" idea only works right now. Thereafter promotion/relegation kicks-in i.e. winning a group for the playoff also = promotion.

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

EDIT: Btw the "lets play rubbish" idea only works right now. Thereafter promotion/relegation kicks-in i.e. winning a group for the playoff also = promotion.

And you're essentially sacrificing any chance of qualifying for the World Cup by tanking your ranking.  It's a very risky strategy just to get to a Euros, especially when it's not a sure thing.

http://www.footballseeding.com/national-ranking-uefa/ranking-2017/

It's incredibly tight from around Ireland in 22nd to Montenegro in 30th for who will end up in division B and division C. In theory we could win our 2 remaining games, lose in the playoffs and sneak into division B making 1 of the routes to qualify for euro 2020 more difficult. 

38 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

If every side in a division has qualified then the slot drops down to the next division. That will be no consolation to us in Division C as it's impossible for all 24 above us to qualify: only 20.

In the unlikely (maybe mathematically now) event we get into DIvision B then if all 12 in Division A qualified - not likely but not impossible - then there would be 2 playoff slots, not just 1.

I'm sure this has come up before on one thread or another but just to be clear, if all but one team in a division qualifies - for example, everyone in that hypothetical Division A other than Wales - would Wales be sent into a playoff with a Division B side for a place at the tournament or just qualify automatically?

It'd obviously be unfair to hand a team qualification on the basis of what group they started in, especially if they finished bottom of their Nations League group with no wins, but it would also be unfair on the highest ranked Division B team to be forced to play a team from a higher group when they could have easier ties in their own divisional playoff.

59 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm sure this has come up before on one thread or another but just to be clear, if all but one team in a division qualifies - for example, everyone in that hypothetical Division A other than Wales - would Wales be sent into a playoff with a Division B side for a place at the tournament or just qualify automatically?

It'd obviously be unfair to hand a team qualification on the basis of what group they started in, especially if they finished bottom of their Nations League group with no wins, but it would also be unfair on the highest ranked Division B team to be forced to play a team from a higher group when they could have easier ties in their own divisional playoff.

My understanding is if only 1 team from a division haven't qualified, they automatically take the slot, as this was suggested when it was launched in context of the Dutch missing Euro 2016.

46 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I'm struggling to understand this tbh.

From next season there is a new tournament - the "Nations League" or "League of Nations". Four divisions, four groups in each division, 3/4 teams per group. Played Sep-Oct-Nov 2018. Group winners promoted. Bottom relegated. Winners of 'Division A' groups hold finals tournament in June 2019, the empty June every 4yrs.

Then qualifying for Euro 2020 runs Mar-Jun-Sep-Oct-Nov 2019. Ten groups of 5/6, top 2 qualify = 20 qualifiers for Euro 2020, no playoffs.

Then the highest ranked non-qualifiers from each NL group hold 1-leg, neutral venue divisional playoff SFs & Final in Mar 2020 = 4 qualifiers for Euro 2020.

From next season there is a new tournament - the "Nations League" or "League of Nations". Four divisions, four groups in each division, 3/4 teams per group. Played Sep-Oct-Nov 2018. Group winners promoted. Bottom relegated. Winners of 'Division A' groups hold finals tournament in June 2019, the empty June every 4yrs.

Then qualifying for Euro 2020 runs Mar-Jun-Sep-Oct-Nov 2019. Ten groups of 5/6, top 2 qualify = 20 qualifiers for Euro 2020, no playoffs.

Then the highest ranked non-qualifiers from each NL group hold 1-leg, neutral venue divisional playoff SFs & Final in Mar 2020 = 4 qualifiers for Euro 2020.

cb0151b5dbb6443a12f19131980b72a4.jpg

My understanding is if only 1 team from a division haven't qualified, they automatically take the slot, as this was suggested when it was launched in context of the Dutch missing Euro 2016.

Will UEFA ensure that teams who are drawn together in the Nations League are kept apart in the main Qualifiers?

Otherwise you could have a scenario where a team have no chance of qualifying via the Qualifiers but know they will make it if another team in their group qualifies by virtue of their Nations League position, and you could have teams losing on purpose.

I haven't seen anything about that BWV.

It has already been observed that with Nations League first, then Euro qualifying, then NL playoffs, you could have scenarios where Country A know they'd finished 2nd to Country B in their NL group, and if drawn together this could actually encourage them to lie down to Country B (i.e. if B & C were fighting for qualification)!

27 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

That's fucking ridiculous. You could literally lose every game in the Nations League and every game in the qualifying groups, then qualify by default.

Hahahahaha surely this cannot be true.

Archived