UEFA Nations League

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, forameus said:

Will it not just be that both "competitions" will be drawn based on the UEFA coefficients, rather than one being responsible for the other?  They're a lot harder to shift in than the World Rankings, so imagine we'll probably be around the 3rd pot for the time being, 4th if we have a nightmare qualifying campaign in the next couple of years, maybe 2nd if we have a great one.

Agree that they can't really know now.  Earliest they would draw it I imagine is after the conclusion of the 2018 qualifying campaign.  Any earlier would be pointless as teams could drift based on the competitive games they still have.  It'll be between December 2017 and Summer 2018, and given there's only one international window in that, it doesn't really matter when it gets drawn.  But it certainly won't be any time soon.

My reading of it is that the first Nations League and the Euro 2020 qualifiers will be seeded based on the UEFA coefficients, but from then on everything will follow on automatically.  The second Nations League will have teams in divisions based on promotion/relegation from the first Nations League, and the Euro 2024 qualifiers would be based on Nations League placings.

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

My reading of it is that the first Nations League and the Euro 2020 qualifiers will be seeded based on the UEFA coefficients, but from then on everything will follow on automatically.  The second Nations League will have teams in divisions based on promotion/relegation from the first Nations League, and the Euro 2024 qualifiers would be based on Nations League placings.

My mistake, I knew that the following Nations Leagues would be based on promotion/relegation, but didn't think that the qualifiers were based on them.  Interesting if so, especially interesting to see how balanced the pots ended up being in that case.  Can't work out whether it would be open to crazy things happening, or whether pitting teams against those "around their level" would make for a better system than the current coefficients.

There's nothing to suggest that teams will or can be shuttled around the divisions; it was already excellently illustrated by HJ elsewhere, and is fairly straightforward. 

Based on the competition theoretically being played in autumn of 2014, Holland would have qualified for 2016 as the only top-twelve side not through from the groups. Some groups in the Div Three, will have had more teams qualify than Div Two groups, given the absence of Denmark, Serbia, Greece and Bosnia.

For this alone, i believe the competition to be a very worthwhile experiment. It is also a fairer, easier to understand model for qualification seedings (even if only utilised with Uefa) than the current format, which had Greece continuing as a top seed in each campaign since Euro 2008, just because they were holders....the subsequently easier groups thus made qualifying for 2010, 12 and 14 much easier for a team which offered us absolutely f**k all, who nowadays, in between, would now have to face much sterner opposition, drop down the rank quicker, and find themselves replaced by better teams before too much damage is done. 

What should be of a small possible consequence, but entirely possible, is that a team from division three could be up against a team in both the League and the qualifying group (think Wales, Iceland or Norn Iron...) where it could ve beneficial for a Finland, Latvia or Israel to lose to the above in qualification, if they played as they went on to do so, so as to get first dibs on their playoff spot in the spring before the Finals. 

The ideal scenario is that come draw time, we're ranked 25/26/27/28th, meaning we'd be a top seed in League C, so we need to move up the UEFA rankings a few places.  I can't see us going into League B unless we skoosh WC Qualifying, which we wont.

Euro2020  is all over the shop as to basically stop England hosting it all. They are hated so bad across Europe due to the money the prem rakes in. I actually find it appalling they have not been given a wc or another euros with the infrastructure and stadia they have

1 hour ago, kenny131 said:

Euro2020  is all over the shop as to basically stop England hosting it all. They are hated so bad across Europe due to the money the prem rakes in. I actually find it appalling they have not been given a wc or another euros with the infrastructure and stadia they have

Part of me agrees with that but the other laughs that they haven't hosted anything since 1996.

52 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

I don't think they have made a bid to host a Euros since 1996. Wembley is hosting the semi's and final in 2020. Spain have not held a Euros since 1962 and world cup in 82 will be over 40 years without a major tournament by time of 2024 and beyond. United Germany never hosted a Euros. Turkey I would have expected to be in with a chance though recent unrest there may make it less likely. If 2020 is very successful commercially then would be hard to see.

World cup wise they are probably due a turn now that France, Italy, Germany and Spain have held a world cup more recently.  Now that Russia will be hosting probably no new places that could hold world cup in next decade or 2. Though don't countries basically need to adapt laws for tournament so FIFA keep all the money they make. Will be 2030 for Europe's next turn. 

What? England are hosting the semis and the final. No other country is hosting more. It's doubtful that England would've bothered bidding for a traditional one country tournament. You'd have to be off your head to see it as an anti-English conspiracy when they're hosting all the major games.

4 hours ago, kenny131 said:

England showed absolutely no interest in bidding for Euro 2020.  Turkey was the only serious contender, despite UEFA actively seeking out other bidders.  They had a lot of concerns about hosting it in Turkey (a very wise decision as it transpired), which is why they came up with this idea.

15 hours ago, kenny131 said:

:lol:

A new low, and for you, that's saying something.

Like others have rightly said, England didn't bid.  Turkey were the unopposed party, but given they got the Olympics, UEFA were reluctant to give them both.  So they came up with the whole of Europe idea.  And clearly they hated England so damn much that they decided to give them the most important games just to spite them.  Poor England.

England showed absolutely no interest in bidding for Euro 2020.  Turkey was the only serious contender, despite UEFA actively seeking out other bidders.  They had a lot of concerns about hosting it in Turkey (a very wise decision as it transpired), which is why they came up with this idea.

England not bidding for Euro 2020 may have something to do with their expectation they were getting the 2018 World Cup..

Well, no. The World Cup 18/22 hosts were both announced in 2010 whereas UEFA didn't invite any bids for Euro 2016 until 2012.

England just didn't bid for Euro 2020 in its original format and it's laughable to suggest that the decision to host the three biggest games there is some sort of snub.

• 3 months later...

23h6gyv.png

http://www.football-rankings.info/2016/11/uefa-nations-league-update-18-november.html

As things stand that's the leagues.

UEFA published an article explaining it but don't think there's anything different to what Craig or HJ said earlier in the thread.

http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2079553.html

Archived