UEFA Nations League

2 minutes ago, resk said:

Actually I'm quite looking forward to it. I was using "pish" as a light-hearted term and wasn't trying to criticise the Nations League or Scotland's participation.

I hope the above pish makes sense.

It does.  I would have happily accepted that we'll likely be pish in the games though, despite them being the most important ones we've played in a while.  Expect there will still be those thinking they're just glorified friendlies.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Looking forward to pundits talking about how these games are good preparation for the "real stuff" beginning in 2019 with Euro qualifiers.

Pundits? I'm dreading Eck and/or the players coming out with that line.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Looking forward to pundits talking about how these games are good preparation for the "real stuff" beginning in 2019 with Euro qualifiers.

The press should be explaining how fucking massive these games are. Instead, they’re giving it the old “It’s too complicated” line.

(a) No, it isn’t. 

(b) It’s literally their job to understand these things.

21 hours ago, resk said:

Actually I'm quite looking forward to it. I was using "pish" as a light-hearted term and wasn't trying to criticise the Nations League or Scotland's participation.

I hope the above pish makes sense.

^^^Misunderstood Pish thread for this pish

Booked my tickets for these games, plus the Portugal friendly. Hopefully the SFA will blitz some advertising for them and push for a big crowd but as they've left the tickets so late (and the fact it's the SFA) I can't see it happening.

I have tried to book specific seats for the Nations League matches, but the stadium seat-allocation doesn't seem to work.

Anyone else having this problem?

ETA: Got on through a different computer and now got tickets ordered.

22 minutes ago, Jimbo Jagsfan said:

I have tried to book specific seats for the Nations League matches, but the stadium seat-allocation doesn't seem to work.

Anyone else having this problem?

Booked tickets for all 4 games. "Specific seat allocation" worked first time for 3 games but took 4 attempts for Portugal match - top left of screen said "0 selected" on first 3 attempts.

Had to keep going back to stadium image and  selecting seat again.

1 minute ago, JH1 said:

Booked tickets for all 4 games. "Specific seat allocation" worked first time for 3 games but took 4 attempts for Portugal match - top left of screen said "0 selected" on first 3 attempts.

Had to keep going back to stadium image and  selecting seat again.

Should have read "top right hand corner of screen".

Yeah I had issues with it as well. It took about half an hour to get all the tickets booked.

I also received the £10 discount despite booking tickets for 3 games, not 4. Though I was buying tickets for a friends linked account at the same time which meant 6 tickets in total (2 per game) which may have confused the system. We'll see what happens.

Took me ages as well, it wouldn't allocate tickets to members for the Israel match. In the end my first session timed out and I added the games in a different order. Worked after that. I have no idea if that was the reason I got it to work, but at least it worked. I get the feeling that the £10 off was causing the issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’ll be interested to see the attendances for Nations League games. Will fans treat them as glorified friendlies or as an equal to Euro qualifiers?

The former, mainly because there are still loads of folk too stupid to understand the format (not helped by the idiots on Radio Scotland claiming it's some sort of convoluted mess every time they mention it).

The former, mainly because there are still loads of folk too stupid to understand the format (not helped by the idiots on Radio Scotland claiming it's some sort of convoluted mess every time they mention it).

When in fact it is 6 games against similar level teams to get to a first major finals in 20 years. That's the long and short of it

There’s a helpful wee video on the BBC Scotland website. Doesn’t seem too hard to understand. Play Albania and Israel home and away, then we could get promoted or relegated. Then presumably some more games.

They've started putting adverts on podcasts now, presume it's part of the whole targeted advertising stuff.  In this one, someone sounding like an absolute jake (it may or may not be McLeish himself actually) is spouting the usual stuff, the marketing headline (Nothing Matters More...pish).  However, they start talking about qualifying for Euro 2020, then in a completely different tone talk about a friendly with Belgium and a Nations League game with Albania.  Adverts like that aren't going to tell anyone who is unsure about the Nations League why they should care.

It's not difficult to explain the importance. For us it is just about the equivalent of the play-offs for nations finishing  3rd in their group in the last Euro campaign, and therefore probably our most realistic chance of qualifying for Euro 2020. These are massive matches which give us a great chance of qualifying for a major tournament for the first time since 1998. 

This is a qualifying campaign. 

Guest DAVIDB69

There’s a helpful wee video on the BBC Scotland website. Doesn’t seem too hard to understand. Play Albania and Israel home and away, then we could get promoted or relegated. Then presumably some more games.

Exactly we have more chance of qualifying via this route than via the main qualifying groups

Archived