Lorry crash in Nice

G-MAN

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mr Bairn said:

I think we need to accept that Muslims are going to blow one another up regardless. That's just what they do. Our focus should be on preventing attacks on NATO, EU and Commonwealth nations.

What a pathetic generalization. You talk about Muslims, as if you know every single one of them and what they will do. These extremists are a minority. Stop trying to make them out to be a mass majority. Of course our focus should be on preventing attacks. But you don't prevent attacks with a "ban all muslims" slogan.

3 minutes ago, Nick_BCFC said:

I know what you mean.

I was in Nice a couple of weeks ago. I also flew out of Brussels the day before that was blown up.

My mother was in Manchester when the bomb went off and my sister in New York the day before 9/11!

You better hope that the CIA don't read P&B. First class ticket to Gauntanamo incoming.

2 minutes ago, Cream Cheese said:

Where did I say we should abandon our security? Although it's blatantly obvious that the British Government step up the security beyond what is necessary to give off the impression that we're a bigger target than we actually are.

I think we are quite clearly a major target , if you genuinley believe we are not then you are in cuckoo land . 

Just now, forever_blue said:

I think we are quite clearly a major target , if you genuinley believe we are not then you are in cuckoo land . 

Britain really isn't that major tbh. British minded people just like to try and pretend we are. We're a diddy wee island and nowhere near as big a target as the likes of France and Germany.

11 minutes ago, Cream Cheese said:

Britain really isn't that major tbh. British minded people just like to try and pretend we are. We're a diddy wee island and nowhere near as big a target as the likes of France and Germany.

This has nothing to do with how Britain perceive ourselves in the world , it is a cold hard fact that Britain is a major target , their propaganda regularly States so , only last week our former prime minister was facing a backlash over some of his shocking decisions which ultimately led to the scenario we dind ourselves in today 

we are a major player in this and they have not forgotten that 

Listening to Radio 2 just now play recordings of the attack happening including all the screams and gun shot.

I'm really not sure what purpose this serves other than to spread fear, anxiety and the message of terror.

I'm now wondering if there is some sort of argument not to report these events other than to state what happened and then discuss the "what next". 

It just seems hours of going over the graphic details and horrendous individual stories isn't helpful.

45 minutes ago, Nick_BCFC said:

I know what you mean.

I was in Nice a couple of weeks ago. I also flew out of Brussels the day before that was blown up.

My mother was in Manchester when the bomb went off and my sister in New York the day before 9/11!

^^^ Terrorist mastermind found 

30 minutes ago, forever_blue said:

This has nothing to do with how Britain perceive ourselves in the world , it is a cold hard fact that Britain is a major target , their propaganda regularly States so , only last week our former prime minister was facing a backlash over some of his shocking decisions which ultimately led to the scenario we dind ourselves in today 

we are a major player in this and they have not forgotten that 

I agree apart from the major player bit, being America's lap dog doesn't really count :P. Too neck deep in it now to wash our hands of the whole affair.

Shocking state of affairs all round really. I did think the Euros went too well, with regards to terror threat. 

Listening to Radio 2 just now play recordings of the attack happening including all the screams and gun shot.

I'm really not sure what purpose this serves other than to spread fear, anxiety and the message of terror.

I'm now wondering if there is some sort of argument not to report these events other than to state what happened and then discuss the "what next". 

It just seems hours of going over the graphic details and horrendous individual stories isn't helpful.

BBC World has been on an endless loop, even attributing "eyewitness" to a guy they've had on repeatedly who, by his own admission only arrived at the scene after seeing news reports and getting there over an hour after the perpetrator was killed.
I agree, this style of reporting is horrendous, I may be wrong but I think it originated with the minute by minute coverage that CNN provided in the first Gulf War.
Terrible media.

To suggest the UK isn't a massive target is ludicrous.

Well England, so aye basically the same thing

Scotland won't be a massive target anyway I wouldn't think thankfully were a bit of an irrelevance on the world stage

Well England, so aye basically the same thing

Scotland won't be a massive target anyway I wouldn't think thankfully were a bit of an irrelevance on the world stage

I would assume that Glasgow has as much chance of facing an attack as Manchester. Mind Glasgow was attacked a decade ago.

30 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I agree apart from the major player bit, being America's lap dog doesn't really count :P. Too neck deep in it now to wash our hands of the whole affair.

Shocking state of affairs all round really. I did think the Euros went too well, with regards to terror threat. 

Agree with your angle , however even as Americas lapdogs we are seen as a major enemy to them 

france would have been prepared for the euros , in hindsight the aftermath was probably most critical , just as France's police force would have been Downing tools and Hollande even yesterday about looking to come out the state of emergency 

Archived