Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

I'm now hugely wary of spoilers as I'm into chapter 4 so I'm terrified to google anything about the game...

What harm does dying outside missions actually cause you? In the GTA games you used to lose your weapons and a chunk of money but I think in GTA V it was just money- guessing it's the same here? Think tonight it's only the second time it's happened to me since I started , got an ambush by the Lemoyne Raiders as I was heading out of St Denis but compared to the previous ones where you pick them off easily there seemed to be hundreds of them and possibly a Gatling, I was shot out within about 5 seconds before I could even get to health tonics.

Think you just lose money, I haven’t lost much from dying outside of missions. I’ve frequently been ambushed, mauled by cougars, accidentally rode my horse off a cliff taking a short cut....

I took a wander up a mountain and managed to find a giants skeleton. Anyone know what that’s about? You think it might be a big foot rather than a giant?

Having played it fairly solidly since launch, I'd tentatively say this has overtaken Skyrim as my all time favourite game.

Over and above the incredible story, it's the little touches that other games don't do that sets it apart.  Take weather, for example - plenty of other open worlds have done storms and have done them well, but Rockstar just crank it up a notch.   I was riding my horse round Moonstone Pond in a raging storm when, all of a sudden, a fork of lightning struck about 30 feet to my right.  I nearly shat myself.  Incredible.

In any other game, the best you'd get is lightning effects on the horizon.

This game is some caper. Having a great time daundering about and finding stuff. Stopped to speak to a stranger who was struggling with his horse and his horse volleyed his heid off. 

In terms of open world games I'm not sure anything can eclipse Breath of the Wild but, god damn, this game is fantastic.

It’s the small things in this game that get me. Helped a boy with a bear trap near Annesburg. Long time later I’m going through the station and he calls out to me, tells his friend how I saved him and then tells me to buy a gun from the gun store and put it on his tab

3 minutes ago, Dave1875 said:

It’s the small things in this game that get me. Helped a boy with a bear trap near Annesburg. Long time later I’m going through the station and he calls out to me, tells his friend how I saved him and then tells me to buy a gun from the gun store and put it on his tab

Aye I helped a lad who'd been bitten by a snake and got a new gun as well! It's quite useful to help folk it would appear. 

Apart from Jeremiah Compson. That slave owning b*****d got done in immediately.

I had great fun last night getting $250 bounties in every state and then waiting for three days to get the trophy.

You can cheat by sleeping through most of it, but then it says you can’t sleep anymore and before you know it 12 bounty hunters have surrounded the shack in the middle of nowhere your bunked up in.

26 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Aye I helped a lad who'd been bitten by a snake and got a new gun as well! It's quite useful to help folk it would appear. 

Reveal hidden contents

Apart from Jeremiah Compson. That slave owning b*****d got done in immediately.

I found him and he said he'd reward me.  He didn't, tried to run away, so I tied him up and threw him off a cliff.  Maybe it doesn't pay to be a sociopathic monster :(

The epilogue is amazing. It feels like a totally new game.

Don't want to spoil anything but the progression of the world (and the characters, even the NPC ones) is incredible. No idea how they've managed it.

I love the new areas of the map too, there is a lot of desert but I've found so many interesting things. The desert seems insane to be honest, Mexican cartel kind of stuff I've seen...

I think there might be additional story material to come too tbh. The map and world has everything and every kind of environment.

I must say, even early on in the game I'm surprised just by the shift from the first (second, I guess) to the next area by the lake.  You explore what seems like miles and  miles, then you move by the lake and suddenly there's vastly different areas you're working through, while still being an easy travelling distance to the stuff you've already done.  Have to say that so far it's abundantly clear just how much love and thought has gone into the world-building.  Isn't always the case.

Don't think it's a spoiler as we all know it's coming but can someone tell me how much of the story is left after you get to Blackwater and the old map? I'm still not there (and I'm not bothered as I'm doing so much :)) but it'll be good to know how long is left once that opens.

Don't think it's a spoiler as we all know it's coming but can someone tell me how much of the story is left after you get to Blackwater and the old map? I'm still not there (and I'm not bothered as I'm doing so much [emoji4]) but it'll be good to know how long is left once that opens.

I'm on about 80 percent and I've had it not long opened up. The area is fucking massive though. I think there'll be another DLC type story to come out in future to take advantage of it.

Have had a fucking shitemare, got a new PS4 in the Black Friday sale, and sold my old one via Gumtree. Anyway just finished installing RD, and on starting it, it has taken me right back to the beginning. Totally forgot to move my saved data. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Has anyone seen Gavin? I'm really worried about my mate Gavin.

6 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:
2 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:
Has anyone seen Gavin? I'm really worried about my mate Gavin.

Gaaaaavin?

This interaction is bugging me.

I bump into this guy everywhere and I can't seem to do anything about it