Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

Just now, Mr X said:
Just now, 19QOS19 said:
Just go and get another one. They respawn if yours dies. 

But it won't be the same!

True. I originally had Sheila and when she died, Sheila II wasn't as loving :(

So, apparently, I got the "bad" ending.

Even if I'd gone for the "good" ending my honour was really low - made the mistake of doing the honourable stuff early on then being left with all the robbing and killing challenges to do at the dame time.

I'd love to be arsed to play it again, knowing what I know now, but can't see it ever happening

11 hours ago, Mr X said:

Finished the main story tonight. Fairly epic and enjoyable ending.

Hide contents

I am now pissed that Ive lost my horse and weapons

The impact of that ending the first time around was really ruined for me.  I think I was a few missions from the end and ran into some skinners.  They took me out, but no problem, I'd gotten my horse away from them well before that, so should be fine.  But no, the horse had completely disappeared from the game, the one I'd spent the whole time building up.  Went and bought a new one, and then a few hours later I have what's supposed to be this big emotional scene as you say goodbye to...the horse you've barely even gotten stage 1 bonding with.  f**k sake.

TO be honest, it's a bit better if you do carry nothing over with the way the story goes.  The first time around I suddenly realised that because I had Arthur's bag, I also had everything he owned.  Sold that, and ended up with more money than Arthur ever had, whilst going through the missions all about how John was piss poor.  On my last playthrough I ended up stockpiled again, and also had Arthur's money hidden at the pigranch (if you don't collect it while as Arthur, you can as John).  Really loses the impact of the story when you can go and buy whatever you want to decorate your fucked up shack.

57 minutes ago, Mr X said:

So, apparently, I got the "bad" ending.

Even if I'd gone for the "good" ending my honour was really low - made the mistake of doing the honourable stuff early on then being left with all the robbing and killing challenges to do at the dame time.

I'd love to be arsed to play it again, knowing what I know now, but can't see it ever happening

I'm always shit at playing games as a b*****d, particularly ones like this.  Witcher 3 I've never managed to play it with much bad happening to Ciri for example, and in this I found the Bad Honour stuff a bit boring to do long-term.  Like a lot of games it seems to let you do whatever you want, but the wider story is hinting towards you going down a certain path.  If that makes sense.  I don't think being a complete shit works, any more than being perfect does.  For my last playthrough I tried to do it the way I thought would be most realistic.  Be a bit of a dick up to the "diagnosis" and then go on a redemption arc.  Didn't really work, and had to do a lot of catch-and-release fishing to get the honour back up to good in the end, but feel like that's the way they want you to play it with the story.

Always struck me as quite inconsistent too about how honour shifted.  Big jumps and falls relative to what you're actually doing.  The aforementioned catching a fish and releasing it gave you a huge boost.

The impact of that ending the first time around was really ruined for me.  I think I was a few missions from the end and ran into some skinners.  They took me out, but no problem, I'd gotten my horse away from them well before that, so should be fine.  But no, the horse had completely disappeared from the game, the one I'd spent the whole time building up.  Went and bought a new one, and then a few hours later I have what's supposed to be this big emotional scene as you say goodbye to...the horse you've barely even gotten stage 1 bonding with.  f**k sake.
TO be honest, it's a bit better if you do carry nothing over with the way the story goes.  The first time around I suddenly realised that because I had Arthur's bag, I also had everything he owned.  Sold that, and ended up with more money than Arthur ever had, whilst going through the missions all about how John was piss poor.  On my last playthrough I ended up stockpiled again, and also had Arthur's money hidden at the pigranch (if you don't collect it while as Arthur, you can as John).  Really loses the impact of the story when you can go and buy whatever you want to decorate your fucked up shack.

Where's Arthur's bag?? [/]

5 hours ago, forameus said:

Reveal hidden contents

I didnt do the pig farm as Arthur. Almost tempted to back to an earlier save, do the pig farm and leave the money for John. Seems a bit cheaty though

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Hide contents

I didnt do the pig farm as Arthur. Almost tempted to back to an earlier save, do the pig farm and leave the money for John. Seems a bit cheaty though

Yeah, that was a bit of a problem.  Although it's possible and a help, it doesn't really make much sense with the way the story is going in the epilogue.  I don't think you miss much skipping it.

Yeah, that was a bit of a problem.  Although it's possible and a help, it doesn't really make much sense with the way the story is going in the epilogue.  I don't think you miss much skipping it.
The economics are broke right throughout the game.

I'm replaying so I can also get my honour up and see the different ending.

Having $6000 in the prologue is purely co-incidental

Just finished Arthurs story, i think i got the 'good' ending. Lovely moment with the horse right at the end. Heard mixed things about the epilogue but no point in getting to 80% of the story and not carrying on.

Loved the game despite how aggressively slow it is, cant see me having the patience to get close to 100% though. Done almost all of the White missions i had available to me and the odd challenge but i cant be arsed fishing and finishing the compendium.

Next up is Horizon Zero Dawn and then the Outer Limits. Only good thing about 2020 is getting the time for playing through these games.

I got the dishonourable ending, I left John to die and went for the money 😄

So I thought I'd replay the game and do good deeds and get the honourable ending.  However I'm a scoundrel, and went on a rampage in St Denis killing pinkertons.  Dont regret anything.

In the original red dead redemption I accidentally kidnapped a nun, tied her up and left her on the train tracks to be splattered by a train.  And my honour went to shit.  What's the big deal it's only a bloody nun?

39 minutes ago, Loki said:

I got the dishonourable ending, I left John to die and went for the money 😄

So I thought I'd replay the game and do good deeds and get the honourable ending.  However I'm a scoundrel, and went on a rampage in St Denis killing pinkertons.  Dont regret anything.

In the original red dead redemption I accidentally kidnapped a nun, tied her up and left her on the train tracks to be splattered by a train.  And my honour went to shit.  What's the big deal it's only a bloody nun?

My honour was also rock bottom and I got the bad ending. I went back to my last save before the end and did some grinding to get it up. A bit of fishing but found wandering around  St Denis saying hi to everyone was quickest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2020 at 18:28, Mr X said:

Finished the epilogue story. A little shorter than I expected but still thoroughly enjoyable.

Ive got a few bounties to pick up and challenges to complete but I'm kind of thinking "whats the point?"

Is there any point playing online? What can I do?

Start again and use what youve learnt or things you've missed out on. There are loads of things that go under the radar as you have to behave in a certain way to get certain scenarios

1 hour ago, GFARAB82 said:

Start again and use what youve learnt or things you've missed out on. There are loads of things that go under the radar as you have to behave in a certain way to get certain scenarios

Im just not sure I can be bothered with the slog early on, having no money etc

38 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Im just not sure I can be bothered with the slog early on, having no money etc

i know but have a look at youtube loads of things are missed when your anxious to complete the story mode and play throughs can switch even based on your honour 

I restarted it again a week ago after giving it 6 months rest and have decided to go for 100% and let the story take the backseat this time. Just a great world to roam around in, definitely the most interesting open world Rockstar have made.