Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

On 27/05/2019 at 17:24, Gianfranco said:

This, f1 2017 and Hitman Absolution are the only games I’ve bought in the last 5 years. So if I like RDR2, what other games would I like? Cheers

F1 2018

On 5/27/2019 at 12:24, Gianfranco said:

This, f1 2017 and Hitman Absolution are the only games I’ve bought in the last 5 years. So if I like RDR2, what other games would I like? Cheers

Jet Set Willy.

You sound like the sort of person that loves every assassins creed game

If Hitman is still as stealthy as the last one I played then I expect you'll have the patience to enjoy Sniper Elite 4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally finished this today.

What I’m going to say is a bit contradictory - it’s the best game I’ve ever played and yet I don’t feel like it totally grabbed me the way the last one did. I couldn’t put the last one down whereas it’s taken me a good 8 months to get through this. However that could just be an age thing and being busier these days.

Every time I allowed myself to sit and play it there were so many moments that just blew me away. Not even just the missions but the way the game looks - found myself multiple times just stopping the horse and appreciating the view.

The ending of the actual story and then the final hour of the prologue were both absolutely amazing and the soundtrack was perfect once again.

I’m sure once time passes I’ll look back on this just as fondly as I did with  RDR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Played through this again recently. Cause you know, no football (I realise that's a crap excuse for spending so much time on a game).

Excellent. Just so good.

Think it's my favourite game ever. It shows what can be done if you take time to craft all the details perfectly. The likes of Activision and EA sports should take note and maybe not bring out the same game every year. Although people still buy them ( myself included sometimes).
Take a bow rockstar

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2019 at 09:45, forameus said:

Spoilers ahoy...

Hide contents

I could be wrong, but as far as I know there's not too many endings.  I did exactly the same as you, full honour by the end and chose to help John, so wondered what would happen the other way.  If you go for the money, you fight back to the cave and end up fighting Micah there, and I think it goes roughly the same.  If you have negative honour, then you still fight in the same places, but I believe Micah just shoots Arthur in the face right off the bat.  Or so I read anyway.

Spoiler

I went back for the money - felt badass to go out in a giant flaming ball of fury and try get some revenge on Dutch/Micah. 

You end up finding the money, taking it out the cave only to be stabbed by Micah. You then have a knife fight whilst Dutch watches, does nothing, then walks away once Micah finally overpowers you.  Gripping stuff!  Went and Hunted Micah down with Arthur's hat on. 

• 4 weeks later...
Just started this the other day. Im doing what I assume are the tutorial missions. My main annoyance just now is that you cant always manually save. Does that change later on?
I think it's automatically saves when you build a camp fire, so yes. The start is a drag. When I'm done I'm going to go back and play as a right bad fecker but the thought of going back to the snow is certainly giving me the fear.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Just started this the other day. Im doing what I assume are the tutorial missions. My main annoyance just now is that you cant always manually save. Does that change later on?

You can't save on a mission, but it becomes more open later on.

There's a few moments you can't save for what seems like no reason, but I think it's just in a locked state when you're coming out of a cut-scene or whatever.  Didn't notice it being too restrictive otherwise.  If auto-save is on, it often does it quite seamlessly in the background (sometimes too seamlessly as you try and recover from really fucking something up).

The game is just generally slow to be honest.  The early hours, particularly on replaying them, do seem quite a grind.  I'm not sure the story really gets going until a lot later in the game (everyone who has played will know when probably).  Some people won't like the pacing, and a lot have complained, but they get away with it with how good it gets.  

Yeah it's definitely a slower game but I think if they made it a quicker pace it would completely fail to achieve what they wanted. It's more an experience than a game for me. I can go on and lose 2/3 hours without realising and without doing any main missions either. The game feels alive and (maybe I'm just a gimp) because of this, I feel bad if I run over a local with my horse and will try my best not to kill them etc. This is the reason why I'll go back and play as a pure b*****d [emoji38]

Some folk won't like it because they expect a Western game to be a CoD style shoot-em up.

15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Thanks for all the replies. I am, like, really early on in the game. The last mission I did was the one where you hunt deer. Looking forward to it becoming more open world and exploring a bit more

I think once you move on from that area (don't think you're too far from that point), you can pretty much go anywhere from there.  I personally avoided the Eastern side of the map (Saint Denis and Annesburg) until later in the game, preferring them unspoiled as the story got to them.  I usually just explored the immediate areas around wherever the camp was and where the missions took me.  Only quite far into my second playthrough did I start to branch out and explore far-away areas to pick up all the secrets and that.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yeah it's definitely a slower game but I think if they made it a quicker pace it would completely fail to achieve what they wanted. It's more an experience than a game for me. I can go on and lose 2/3 hours without realising and without doing any main missions either. The game feels alive and (maybe I'm just a gimp) because of this, I feel bad if I run over a local with my horse and will try my best not to kill them etc. This is the reason why I'll go back and play as a pure b*****d emoji38.png

Some folk won't like it because they expect a Western game to be a CoD style shoot-em up.

No, I get that.  It's probably the most "alive" a game I've seen of this type.  Personally I'd have preferred there to be a little more variety (and generally more) of encounters with people.  You can only really say a few things to them, and a lot of the time it's either just friendly or unfriendly, with very little variation.  Other than that though, just the wealth of animals makes it feel alive.  You can be in the most remote parts of the map, and still find life up there.  Once the story really starts to grab you...it's really something.

Yeah it's definitely a slower game but I think if they made it a quicker pace it would completely fail to achieve what they wanted. It's more an experience than a game for me. I can go on and lose 2/3 hours without realising and without doing any main missions either. The game feels alive and (maybe I'm just a gimp) because of this, I feel bad if I run over a local with my horse and will try my best not to kill them etc. This is the reason why I'll go back and play as a pure b*****d [emoji38]

It already feels like Skyrim with cowboys, which is fine by me.

I'm sure iv already said it on this thread but until I was roughly ten hours in to this game I thought it was absolute muck! I'm on my second play through having amased god knows how many hours and really think it's the best game iv played. Aurthers story is incredible and every little detail in the game from hunting to robbing back rooms, just adds to the experience. I couldn't get past the first 10 hours on rdr1 and could barely remember the main guys name (not saying it at risk of spoiling) but I wish I did so I could know what happens next with these characters.