Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

Spent the last couple of nights just exploring shacks, huts, buildings etc across the entire map. Some really sad stuff found in remote cabins.
I've been doing exactly the same. Picked a medieval helmet off a frozen corpse right at the top of one of the mountains at the top of the map which has me now going through absolutely every wee place I could find. Took an age going through the abandoned buildings at Colter until I realise why it was empty [emoji38]

• 3 weeks later...

Went back to it for the first time in months on Sunday and now into the final missions on Chapter 6. 

It hasn't caught my imagination as much as the first one did, I don't think it's down to age, I have just found the story a bit repetitive. Going for the big score, failing, on the run, new idea comes to light, going for the big score. 

I suppose the beauty of the game is that the story plays a small part of the game as a whole, sometimes I will just ride My Lovely Horse to the top of mountains and just wait for the sun to set, or go round talking to people and see if they have a story to tell. 

I am now looking forward to finishing it, I think once I am done I will give it another break then come back to it. 

Spoiler

I just want to shoot Dutch and Micah in the face. 

Went back to it for the first time in months on Sunday and now into the final missions on Chapter 6. 
It hasn't caught my imagination as much as the first one did, I don't think it's down to age, I have just found the story a bit repetitive. Going for the big score, failing, on the run, new idea comes to light, going for the big score. 
I suppose the beauty of the game is that the story plays a small part of the game as a whole, sometimes I will just ride My Lovely Horse to the top of mountains and just wait for the sun to set, or go round talking to people and see if they have a story to tell. 
I am now looking forward to finishing it, I think once I am done I will give it another break then come back to it. 
Spoiler

I just want to shoot Dutch and Micah in the face. 

I found it far more captivating than the first one, which I put down to age [emoji38]

Think the issue is that the story gets a bit fragmented and loses a lot of the impact if you get distracted for too long.

I found it far more captivating than the first one, which I put down to age [emoji38]

Think the issue is that the story gets a bit fragmented and loses a lot of the impact if you get distracted for too long.
Yeah. I finished the game at the weekend and while I definitely enjoyed it and thought Dutch's development was gripping, but I played I ended up having month-long gaps between playing the game, so it wasn't as impactful as it could've been. That's on me though.
My initial issues with the pacing and annoyingly intrusive mechanics wore off after a few hours, although the movement still irritated me.
Great stuff overall.

I think the story only really gets good towards the end of chapter 4, running into 5.  No spoilers, but things really start to develop, and from there I think it's a masterpiece.  Definitely issues with the pacing and story up to that point that I've mentioned a few times, with certain parts taking too long and others seeming like there's big bits missing, but they really nail the latter chapters as things start to come crashing down.

In a way it's a shame that it's a prequel.  I vaguely knew how the first game story went, but never played more than an hour or so of it.  So a few of the story beats were a surprise, but not quite enough.  The epilogue could have probably been a bit more explosive had they not had to shepherd it straight towards a known conclusion.

Still, brilliant stuff, and I'm chipping away at a 2nd (and final) playthrough.  Going to try and get as close to 100% as possible, see everything there is to see, and, most importantly, be a complete b*****d in game to hopefully hit rock-bottom honour, before seeing if I can turn it around when the-big-plot-point-that-everybody-probably-already-knows hits.

On my down time, usually very early Saturday mornings and some time on a Sunday I spend hours with it still just listening to a Joe Rogan podcast and few cups of coffee wondering about.

I love it, still coming across new things, it's the only thing I play and I've sunk hours and hours into it would be scary seeing just how long I've played. Played through twice already.

The whole world and how well it's done just blows my mind. Feels like a totally different game depending on the environment you're in. So good

Buzzing for GTA 6 but dunno if I will find it as good, I'm really loving the time frame and setting

I'd be interested to see what a GTA would look like if it was done with a serious tone like this was.  Obviously it'll never happen, as people had a hard enough time adjusting to the slower pace in this, but a properly mature GTA with the same weight of story and characters could be incredible.

I'd be interested to see what a GTA would look like if it was done with a serious tone like this was.  Obviously it'll never happen, as people had a hard enough time adjusting to the slower pace in this, but a properly mature GTA with the same weight of story and characters could be incredible.
GTA 4 was pretty serious, wasn't it? The storyline was depressing from start to finish, and pretty slow paced.

GTA 4 was pretty serious, wasn't it? The storyline was depressing from start to finish, and pretty slow paced.
Was alot grittier but everyone complained how it wasn't "gta fun". Personally I liked it but people expect mental set pieces and lots of whacky satire from GTA now.

I get the point about 4.  If they made that game now, expect it'd be a lot more similar to RDR2 in terms of tone.  Would be good to see it.

Got to say, I played through (I think) the vast majority of 5.  Never actually completed it (although I believe I got to the final mission) and to be honest outside of the main starting points, I'm not sure I could tell you what the story was.  Quite a departure from the beautifully written story here.

Supposedly that's what they're going for and it's going to be a similar map to red dead, lots of countryside / different states and a couple cities (Liberty City and Vice City rumoured) in it. Can't wait for the reveal, supposed to be nailed on set in the past too as the present day is too mental to try and encapsulate. Rockstar said the game would become dated very quickly.

Is the last GTA still a fortune on PSN?
Currently on offer at £12.99 ( an absolute bargain I have to say). PSN is normally the most expensive place so it might be worth nipping in to Game *shudders* or somewhere like Cex to see if it's under a tenner.