Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

Well 2 reasons 1) its an opinion so it doesn't need a disclaimer and 2) i can rant about how slow and plodding the game felt and that was a major reason i didn't have a good time but if it worked for you then my opinion is mute.

On 3/4/2019 at 14:36, Crroma said:
On 3/4/2019 at 08:44, forameus said:
Yass!  The contrary RagingGamer is back!  Can't wait to see what kerr-aaaaazy things he comes out with.

Red Dead 2 isn't a fun videogame.

Clearly you have never chopped some virtual wood for the benefit of your comrades. Arbeit macht frei. 

1 hour ago, Crroma said:

Well 2 reasons 1) its an opinion so it doesn't need a disclaimer and 2) i can rant about how slow and plodding the game felt and that was a major reason i didn't have a good time but if it worked for you then my opinion is mute.

To be fair, your general posting output proved to everyone that your opinion is "mute".

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally finished the main story...

Spoiler-free review, I think they probably didn't quite achieve as much with the story as they perhaps could have.  It seemed like they had sorted out the beginning and the end, and the big story-points along the way, but a lot of the big moments seemed really rushed.  Maybe my play-style contributed (I missed quite a few details) but it did bring an otherwise wonderful story down a bit.  I'd also say that the missions ended up getting a bit repetitive.  Meet person, go here, do something, maybe have a fight, go back.  It's perhaps a bit unfair, because I think the shootouts were done perfectly and always felt exciting, but the whole thing lacked a bit of the variety that, say, GTAV's missions had.  Granted they don't want to have the ridiculousness of that game in RD, as it's a more serious game, but still.  

Overall though, it's a masterpiece.  Not on the levels of W3 (particularly with the story let-downs) but when it's good, by f**k is it good.  It almost makes complaining about the rushed parts of the story a bit unfair due to how good it is when they get it right.  Think I finished on 74.9% or something, so still plenty to go back to later on.  Still, after what must've been about 7 hours trying to get through the last of it yesterday, I'm giving it a long-earned break.

Now to the spoilers - mobile users, here be dragons.  and horses

So I mentioned the slightly rushed bits, and two that really stuck out were the Bronte line and Guarma.  I felt like Bronte was killed in such a way that you'd usually get in GTA after a long quest-line.  I may have missed some story beats, but seems like he took possession of John's son, gave him back willingly after some work, tipped you off with a bad heist, and then got killed.  The way they were painting it was almost like they'd deleted a few missions, as the impact when you brutally murder him felt a bit off.  And Guarma...well they built this amazing location, and you spent about an hour there, tops.  Would've liked them to flesh a bit more out there.

The Epilogue parts also felt a bit weird.  Don't get me wrong, really enjoyed them, but it almost felt like a DLC in the way you're built up to Arthur's final stand, and then brought back to essentially the start of another game.  I knew both epilogue parts weren't long, so it all felt a bit weird with how slow things were being taken.  It's not bad, in fact, story-wise it probably hung together better than the main story, but still felt a bit weird.

But enough about niggles, because the latter part of the game is absolutely masterful story-telling.  I had read enough spoilers to know roughly what was going to happen, even though I've never actually played the original Red Dead, so didn't know that part (I was living in constant dread waiting for Abigail and Jack to br brutally murdered to finish the game, as I thought that's how RDR was) so I kind of liked how Arthur's plight went.  I assumed that him dying would've been this huge spoiler when someone on here (c**t) mentioned it, but instead it's revealed early, and it's just a slow journey towards his redemption.  I think I ended the game with maxed out honour after desperately wanting to send him out on a high-note.  One massive minus, unfortunately, is that during a fight with the Murfree Brood, my well-loved horse Butterscotch just disappeared from the game, replaced by one of the shitty orphan horses that follow you around after you befriend them.  That completely ruined the Arthur saying goodbye part when his horse goes down, although it's probably for the best given how affecting the rest is.

And one final absolutely massive plus for the game.  The score.  Whoever worked that in deserves every cent this game made.

Good post foreamus.

I'm on my second play through, done all the side missions available and got all animals etc. Currently dreading the Guarma missions, they dragged on way too quick for me one right after the other too. I thought the Bronte thing seemed in line, he'd essentially set them up to either die or get caught and put away.

I was quite happy getting through the Guarma section rapid to be honest. I was missing my neigh neigh too much.
I think Guarma serves a purpose to separate the story out. It helps reinforce how much Dutch has lost control, and that your comfortable life of the first few chapters is gone. When you come back it doesnt feel the same.

On 3/23/2019 at 15:13, Bairnardo said:
On 3/23/2019 at 13:53, mrcat1990 said:
I was quite happy getting through the Guarma section rapid to be honest. I was missing my neigh neigh too much.

I think Guarma serves a purpose to separate the story out. It helps reinforce how much Dutch has lost control, and that your comfortable life of the first few chapters is gone. When you come back it doesnt feel the same.

Yeah, I completely get that about Guarma, but it just seemed a bit rushed.  Essentially shipwrecked, but they found a guy who could get you a boat, you break a guy out, have a bit of a battle, then you're away.  I'd have liked to have seen a bit more around the rebels righting, actually make you care about them.

And completely get the "not that same" part.  It's one of my favourite stretches when you wash up at Van Horn and head back to Shady Belle.  Things go from being the happy family you see when you return Jack to being broken beyond repair.  Such a well-written story when they got it right.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:59, 1320Lichtie said:

I thought the Bronte thing seemed in line, he'd essentially set them up to either die or get caught and put away.

Yeah, I suppose.  It just felt like there was a little bit missing to make you really hate the guy.  Or maybe that's the point, they want to make it quite tenuous so that when Dutch goes heid's gone it's all the more shocking.  Again, my playstyle probably didn't help.

Know what, I'm actually really interested in doing one more run.  I'm kind of wanting to play it as a complete b*****d though, right up until you get the diagnosis, then see if I can swing the honour right around before the end.  Also would like to push it closer to 100%, do more hunting, fishing etc.  Another 50-100 hours though...ooft.

Edited by forameus

Yeah, I suppose.  It just felt like there was a little bit missing to make you really hate the guy.  Or maybe that's the point, they want to make it quite tenuous so that when Dutch goes heid's gone it's all the more shocking.  Again, my playstyle probably didn't help.
Know what, I'm actually really interested in doing one more run.  I'm kind of wanting to play it as a complete b*****d though, right up until you get the diagnosis, then see if I can swing the honour right around before the end.  Also would like to push it closer to 100%, do more hunting, fishing etc.  Another 50-100 hours though...ooft.

Tried to be a bad b*****d but ended up being good on most things. If anyone's an arsehole to me though they're doomed [emoji23]

All legendary animal hunting and fishing done as far as I'm able to and over the Christmas holidays I put a couple podcasts on and used a rough guide showing the rough area I used it to find the dinosaur bones too

All side missions / bounties etc done. Just back from Guarma..

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Tried to be a bad b*****d but ended up being good on most things. If anyone's an arsehole to me though they're doomed emoji23.png

I thought I was the only one that really struggled to be a proper arsehole in these kinds of games.  I've completed the Witcher 3 multiple times, and I still can't bring myself to get the "bad" ending through actions.

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

All side missions / bounties etc done. Just back from Guarma..

Enjoy it, man.  You've got a long way to go from there, probably about 8 hours of just story missions, wonderful stuff from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting the epilogue tonight. Underwhelmed a bit by the ending would have liked more of a showdown. Trying to avoid spoilers here but how many endings are there? I finished with almost full honour and chose to help John rather than go back for the money.

Much as I would like to playthrough again as I missed a few white missions, I prob won't have the time.

What would happen if I went back for the money?

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Starting the epilogue tonight. Underwhelmed a bit by the ending would have liked more of a showdown. Trying to avoid spoilers here but how many endings are there? I finished with almost full honour and chose to help John rather than go back for the money.

Much as I would like to playthrough again as I missed a few white missions, I prob won't have the time.

What would happen if I went back for the money?

Spoilers ahoy...

I could be wrong, but as far as I know there's not too many endings.  I did exactly the same as you, full honour by the end and chose to help John, so wondered what would happen the other way.  If you go for the money, you fight back to the cave and end up fighting Micah there, and I think it goes roughly the same.  If you have negative honour, then you still fight in the same places, but I believe Micah just shoots Arthur in the face right off the bat.  Or so I read anyway.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Its a bit annoying that you cant go back and pick off missions too.

How long is the epilogue?

You can as far as I know.  Think it's deep in the menus but you can go back and try and get gold on certain missions.  I did it for the big shootout when you went to the Braithwaite place.

The epilogue took me about 7 hours I think, all in.  There's not too much side stuff, but quite a few story missions.  Quite a slow pace too, but it wraps everything up nicely.

Still trottting through this at a nice slow pace. Playing through the Shady Belle chapter. Just not long done the Riverboat.. I did run/walk back from Saint Denis to Shady Belle carrying an Alligator Skin as Rainbow (reminder never to let a 4 year old name your warhorse) was carrying a 14lb fish. I find myself spending loads of game time just hunting/fishing