Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

Right, I'm just going to call it.

This game is undoubtedly spectacular. It's gorgeous to look at. It's technically magnificent.

But for massive chunks of the game it's not very, well, fun. It feels like a chore to play. I haven't played it in a week, and I'm not really missing it.

By contrast, I picked up Uncharted 4 for £8 at the weekend, and can't put it down.

This game is undoubtedly spectacular. It's gorgeous to look at. It's technically magnificent.
But for massive chunks of the game it's not very, well, fun. It feels like a chore to play. I haven't played it in a week, and I'm not really missing it.
By contrast, I picked up Uncharted 4 for £8 at the weekend, and can't put it down.

If it feels like a chore you're either no doing something right or it just isn't for you.

It's not an all action in and out job done game it's a deep deep story inside a very complicated open world, where if you look closely enough you'll always find something interesting or rewarding.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

As I said, i messed about for 3 hours last night and didn't do a single thing, other than catch the White Arabian.

I'm constantly impressed by the game and it's ability to make you think that everything that's happening is totally random and only happening for you.  Usually with these kinds of games you can suspend disbelief for so long then you start to notice behind the curtain.  I've not had that with this yet.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Does he know Gavin?

I killed Gavin’s friend and picked up something interesting, won’t say more than that.

Had a great time online the last few nights with my mates in a 3 man posse. Not too many idiots online so far.

I eventually found 3 pristine rabbits. Now I can not stop seeing the wee fuckers everywhere.

I am unsure if I should kill that Gavin guy. Punch him a few times but he just ran away

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

Definitely. I'm finding it easier to dive in to and have fun in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. I'm really impressed by Red Dead and so far am into the online stuff but I can see this taking a long time for me to complete. Which is fine tbf, it took me a year to finish The Witcher 3 and Horizon cause it took me a while to properly get into them.

19 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Trying to do a five card trick at pontoon now, this is going to be fun.:rolleyes:

I have been trying for two hours. The three times I have got less than 22 with 5 cards I have been at 16/17 and the deals just flops 19/20.

fucking murder

Right, maybe I have been doing it wrong until today, but it now shows the three stars when I have an animal in my sights using a rifle. It makes it so much easier to identify the pristine fuckers. I have killed enough for about four upgrades for my satchel today alone.

Having a very productive week's holiday so far. Must get some Christmas shopping done soon.

I think it was that blackjack 5-card trick challenge(and still not being able to find more than 2 types of berry even though I'm sure I've found at least 3) that made me crack on with the story missions. Into the epilogue now, which I believe is still about 8 hours of play?!

I think it was that blackjack 5-card trick challenge(and still not being able to find more than 2 types of berry even though I'm sure I've found at least 3) that made me crack on with the story missions. Into the epilogue now, which I believe is still about 8 hours of play?!

Epilogue took me longer than I thought it would. Real rollercoaster in terms of story missions it's bizarre, some of the best all action ones in the game alongside purely story telling ones.

17 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Yeah, the cards is too hard. I can only find 3 berries. I really don't wanna google tae.

Right, maybe I have been doing it wrong until today, but it now shows the three stars when I have an animal in my sights using a rifle. It makes it so much easier to identify the pristine fuckers. I have killed enough for about four upgrades for my satchel today alone.
Having a very productive week's holiday so far. Must get some Christmas shopping done soon.
Where did you find the Raccoon? I've found one and it was decaying. Absolutely livid. I must have spent over an hour looking for one.

So I've finished the main story playing as a heroic Arthur.......

f**k Micah! Wee b*****d! But see when the horse dies 

:( And see when Arthur is saying good bye to the lassies " I know...." :(:(. Definitely the best game I've played. What a story!

Long and spoiler-heavy post on the game (obvs it’s in tags but I think they still don’t work on the app, as I don’t use that) below now I’m a fair chunk into the epilogue and must be about 150 hours playtime based on how long it’s been out and my average playing session, so if you’re on the app scroll way down now.

Spoiler

I think they did a really good job with the story after a slow start. As someone else said, it’s hard to create a lot of suspense for a prequel given you know Dutch, Javier, Bill, Uncle, and John & his family all survive and there’s no mention of any of the others in RDR1 so you’re expecting them to get picked off at various points . I was 99% sure Arthur was going to die at the end as there’s no mention of him in RDR1 although part of me hoped he’d eventually slink off with Mary away from the badlands, but Rockstar tend not to go in for fluffy happy conclusions. I actually thought there was a good chance he’d take the fall for something in a late game mission to let the others escape and end up being shot like Marston or hanged by the government.

The TB thing was well managed, I initially thought as I’d left him so underweight he’d been more prone to disease and I was riding around looking for a cure but then twigged it was part of the story, and his awareness of his imminent death giving him what he feels is a chance at living a better life, or indeed redemption- I like that in a lot of the later missions you can wave away the rewards (Although the fact you’re invariably minted at this point helps).

Even though I had a fair idea it was coming in the epilogue, still gave out a small yelp of joy when it became clear you get to play as Marston again. Was tremendous fun scooting around the old map areas once I’d done enough of the epilogue to get access to my weapons. Was looking out for Bonnie and the marshal in Armadillo even as NPCs who you could just say hello to (obviously with sufficiently limited interaction they don’t remember enough of Marston when he shows up 4 years later) but no joy. Also kept the same horse from chapter 2 to the final mission of the main game then Marston’s horse got taken out by Skinners as soon as I got near Blackwater and I had no horse reviver. Gutted.

Although I haven’t played this far or googled, I’d be stunned if the epilogue doesn’t end with JM hunting down Micah and whoever his gang are. I thought that was a reasonable double bluff with Micah being the obvious rat, I assumed they were going for a reveal that it had been Charles or something and Micah was just an angry toad.

Would love to see some DLC using Blackwater & New Austin or even Mexico, seems a bit of a waste to have all that sitting there only for online.

As for the gameplay, I had a few minor gripes. Riding about aimlessly and seeing what happens is great fun but if you actually need to get somewhere the size of the map and the lack of fast travel is a pain.

As usual in a lot of these games, you ended up richer than Croesus with nothing to buy quite early on. I enjoy the bits at the start where you’re looting every corpse for a dollar and some half used health potion.

Also, there doesn’t seem to be much tangible difference between the various types of gun, I think I ended up using the Lancaster which you get very early on and a shotgun pretty much all the way through except on the rare missions you need a sniper rifle.

Probably a couple of other things too but I’ve gone on long enough and this is an outstanding game. Looking forward to edging my way to 100% over the coming months.